Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2019, 08:09   #1

Another dreamer

Another entry level sailor with a dream, however, I take action I don't just dream.
Looking around for a good boat, have some money saved and a little dream of sailing around the Caribbean for a little, gaining experience before a pacific crossing to Hawaii if funds and boat allow.

I’m 28 years old, married, calling the military life quits, I’m mechanically inclined and analytical with experience troubleshooting broken cars, humvees, most of the time fixing items with field expedient fixes.

My current plan is to generate some cash flow through my rental, purchase a boat and live aboard it for about a year, not opposed to doing odd jobs to keep floating.

Still have lots of reading to do, I have about 12 months before an opportune life window to try this.

It would be great to link up with like minded individuals, I’m looking at a crowther cat right now, but she needs a lot of cosmetic work to keep her in good shape.

Happy to join the community, look forward to meeting you all.
Kevmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 08:48   #2

Boat: 1979 Chrysler 26'
Re: Another dreamer

Hello Kevmon and welcome! I am in a similar situation, my wife and I are planning to purchase and cruise a sailboat in the not very distant future. We recently just moved to Charleston to serve as a home base/launch pad for our dream. Let’s keep in touch while we work to make it happen, see you out there!
Livinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 09:25   #3

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Welcome Kevmon -

When I signed up for CF I was a dreamer sitting on a couch, cruising Yachtworld and trying to find the right boat. Now we've been living aboard since 2014 and fixing her up and are leaving for Alaska in May.

It can be done - just keep your eyes on the prize.

Good luck!
Old 19-01-2019, 11:10   #4

Thanks for the positive words, look forward to seeing you all out there, and let's keep in touch for sure, I'll send a pm.
Old 19-01-2019, 12:21   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

May I suggest you learn how to inspect a prospective purchase and start here
Marine Survey 101
Old 19-01-2019, 15:12   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Since you are in the Wilmington NC area I would recommend to visit Oriental, NC (The Sailing Capital of NC)
Spend a long weekend in the summer and talk to some of the sailors.
This way you can have a conversation about what you want and they can help you better.

Without knowing a lot I normally recommend people
1. Buy the smallest fixed upper boat that will fit you needs.
2. After 6 months sell it and then you will have a much better idea of what will suit your needs.

PS If you buy a fixer upper make sure the Sails and Motor are in good working order. These tend to be the big ticket items.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 16:32   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
Since you are in the Wilmington NC area I would recommend to visit Oriental, NC (The Sailing Capital of NC)
Spend a long weekend in the summer and talk to some of the sailors.
This way you can have a conversation about what you want and they can help you better.

Without knowing a lot I normally recommend people
1. Buy the smallest fixed upper boat that will fit you needs.
2. After 6 months sell it and then you will have a much better idea of what will suit your needs.

PS If you buy a fixer upper make sure the Sails and Motor are in good working order. These tend to be the big ticket items.

Here is one example of what I am talking about
Spent $1,800 on the boat trailer etc.
Clean it up and do not spend more then $2,000 to fix it up.
Live on it for 6 months and but the boat you really want.

From Craigslist.
$2000.00 OBO reduced to $1800.00 need to move on to next project
27 foot Watkins sail boat with trailer. 10 foot beam
Bought as a project and have moved on to other projects. 12 hp yanmar diesel was running when I stored it.alcohol stove,electric windlass, auto helm, extra sails. On trailer with mast down. No interior pictures right now.all parts and cushions stored inside. For layout of boat go to sailboatdata to get more information.
https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/...775402198.html
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 16:55   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

Most of us are dreamers, I have spent 30 years dreaming of full time cruising.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 17:20   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Kevmon. Nothing at all wrong with being a dreamer, but, and I want to say this as gently as possible, one word, almost hidden in your post, jumped out at me for its importance: married. If you want to stay married, and happily so, I wonder if you can re-write your post and replace all the "I" with "we" and have it still be true? If yes, then fantastic! If no then I'd say no amount of sailing can make up for ruining a good marriage IMHO... but I've seen it happen, more than once.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 17:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinchi View Post
Hello Kevmon and welcome! I am in a similar situation, my wife and I are planning to purchase and cruise a sailboat in the not very distant future. We recently just moved to Charleston to serve as a home base/launch pad for our dream. Let’s keep in touch while we work to make it happen, see you out there!
We are also in Charleston,SC, same goals, looking at Lagoon 38s, going to hit Miami in Feb, for some up close viewing.
ptards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 22:18   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Welcome aboard Kevmon!

But now I'm going to try to discourage you. And if that doesn't work I wish you the best!
First, have you and the little lady been out sailing in the rough? If not, I suggest you do that first, especially her, before you spend any real money. Sometimes dreams turn out to be fantasies and most women will make it that way. There are those exceptional few.

Second, a boat IS a hull in the water in which you pour money, lots of it if you go for a Cat. Being good with mechanics and fixing things is a plus. You're going to need that. Boats always need fixing, even the new ones. And sailing Cats takes a little extra knowhow. You just can not jump on and go. The first strong blow and you're gone.

Third, are you good with being safety minded? Boating requires the utmost in safety AND responsibility. And the first time you get boarded by the USCG, they'll let you know how you did, for sure! Safety gear is one of your on going expenses. As Captain, YOU ARE responsible for everyone on board, especially those who know nothing about boats!

I suggest you start doing your reading and taking sailing/boating courses. And if you, and yours like being offshore. Then think about the 6 pack course, even if you don't qualify for a license. It'll give you good knowledge in navigation in use of charts and other requirements.

And my last here. Sailing can keep one physically healthy but it does require some dexterity. If you or yours is clumsy, you will get hurt. So, knowledge of basic medical is also a benefit. And cruising on a boat under 36' is a real challenge mentally. You do have to be well organized and have good stamina.

BTW, I've been sailing since 1969 both by power and sail.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:51   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

Kevmon when you get the wife onboard remember to treat her like a General and not some Grunt. Do that and you should be fine.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 02:18   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kevmon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 05:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
First, have you and the little lady been out sailing in the rough? If not, I suggest you do that first, especially her, before you spend any real money.
Excellent idea, we will have to see if we can maybe get some sailing instruction in the open ocean With rougher weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Kevmon when you get the wife onboard remember to treat her like a General and not some Grunt. Do that and you should be fine.
Cheers
Love the tips, and of course, I'm still trying to gauge the level of comfort she needs to feel happy, she is undoubtedly the general!
Old 21-01-2019, 06:22   #15

Boat: Valiant 40
Another dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevmon View Post
Excellent idea, we will have to see if we can maybe get some sailing instruction in the open ocean With rougher weather.

Love the tips, and of course, I'm still trying to gauge the level of comfort she needs to feel happy, she is undoubtedly the general!

A basic sailing course is always a good idea. That said when it comes to rough weather there is no substitute for experience on the boat of someone who knows what they are doing, and that can be gained by volunteering as crew on longer passages. Gain enough experience with various boat systems and you could even get paid as engineer.

The first time anyone is out in rough weather it tends to be paralyzing, and if you’re in your own boat with your family it could be the end of dream, even if you make it back. You need look no further than YouTube blogs to find endless examples of those who headed out, got their asses kicked, and threw in the towel. Had they had prior experience, as crew with someone who knew what they were doing, it would have turned out differently.

I did my first ocean crossing 39 years ago on a wooden ketch with three South African salts, running into three strong gales along the way. First one I thought we were going to die. Second one I was moderately concerned. Third one I was just annoyed.

If you’re buying a boat in the cheap you’re going to need to find a way to evaluate critical systems and be cognizant of the cost to repair/replace. You know diesel, but add marinization systems and the running gear. Thru-hulls and plumbing. Electrical systems. And standing rigging and deck gear.

There is a truism: it generally costs more to bring a neglected example of a boat back than it does to buy a well maintained example. The exceptions are when cosmetics are less of a concern, you do the work yourself, and you get a great deal to begin with.

I’m not scaring you off, just pointing out the boat gear is stupidly expensive. Going into it with a clear-eyed view of the economics is important to success. Just like those who bailed because they got scared offshore almost every boatyard has abandoned boats bought by those that did not know what they were getting into and ended up giving up when they realized they bought a black hole instead of a doable project. I’m serious. It’s probably 14 out of every 15 yards.