Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2009, 16:24   #16

christian-
i met a couple who did a keel, rudder mod. that, from their description, sounds like it is very similar. they were not completely satisfied and were considering going back to the original configuration. just food for thought.
-del
delmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:00   #17

Hi Rick,

I produced that boat for Gib Mann, a Dentist from Phoenix, and a good friend. We shipped the hull & deck, with ballast, to World Cruiser in Costa Mesa where Bud Taplin finished her out. Bud is a very capable guy and was production manager for Westsail during their heyday. He still runs Worldcruiser and is a good source for advice, marine hadrware, etc., although he specializes in Westsail parts. Your A-40 did not get a lot of use during Gib's ownership.

She is a great vessel. I, too, would be interested to see any underbody photos sometime, to see what changes you have made (and why). The boat tracks well as it is and answers the helm smartly. I sailed the Maluhia to Hawaii in 1979 (left on July 4th at the start of Transpac) and my trusty Aires did an admirable steering job for many days. It was one of the slowest Transpacs in years and I kept dropping south of the rhumb line looking for some wind. It took us 16 days to make Hilo, which was longer than it should have. Glad I had plenty of ice cream in the freezer!
Yachtbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 20:13   #18

Boat: Acapulco 40
New Owner

I have just purchased an Acapulco 40. I am from Southern California and intend to go on this years Baja HaHa. Any other Acapulco 40 owners intending to do so also.

Richard
SailTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:52   #19

Boat: Acapulco Cutter 40' - Tension Reliever
Southern CA Acapulco

Richard:
Glad to hear from you. We have an Acapulco 40 at Chula Vista Marina in South San Diego Bay. We love her. We too are hoping to soon be retired and heading south via the 2011 Baja haha. We've had our Acapulco for just over 2 years. Purchased her in San Francisco and brought her south last April. We've been busy getting her outfitted for cruising south.
Rick
Sailor Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:33   #20

Thanks for the info. You did indeed build a great boat. She is sea worthy, capable and beautiful. What a combination.
As to the bottom change, that was done before we bought her. We were told they were looking for more speed. All we know is that she sails great. We sailed her from San Francisco to San Diego this past spring and she came through with flying colors. We had 8 foot seas until we passed Point Conception and she didn't miss a beat. Believe me, when we docked we looked like we'd been at sea for 6 days and she looked like she'd been out for a Sunday sail. I've tried downloading a picture of her bottom, although not a very good view, but I can't seem to make it work. I'll keep working on it and as soon as I get it figured out and posted, I'll let you know.
Right now we are busy outfitting her for a trip south and then east. The Caribbean is calling our name. We have no worries about the boat, hope we do her proud.
You should certainly be proud of her, she's tough, sails great and turns heads everywhere she goes.
Rick
Old 10-02-2011, 05:57   #21

pirate Acapulco Bottom Redo Tension Reliever

I've attached a photo. hope this works.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tension Reliever Bottom Shot.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	23629  
Old 08-03-2011, 22:44   #22

Boat: Acapulco 40
Re: More about Tomorrow

My Acapulco 40 named Tomorrow is down in Ensenada. I am in the 90 day Yacht Club (11 months). I also am planning to go on the Baja HaHa this year and the Pacific Puddle Jump next April. I purchased Tomorrow in December 2010 and will bring it up to San Diego prior to the start.

How many other owners are planning to go on the HaHa this year? It would be wonderful if we could raft up in Turtle bay or Bahia Santa Maria.
SailTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:02   #23
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Acapulco 40 Owners ?

She is, indeed a lovely boat, and I'm sure you'll have some great cruising on her.

Welcome ABoard!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 23:45   #24

Boat: Anacapa Boat Works, Acapulco-40, 39'8"

I have the Anacapa Acapulco 40 Hull No. 1, built by San Pedro Boat Works by John Leeper's crew in 1967, completed in 1968. There are a couple pictures of her in this thread already. I was still in contact with the original owner up until 2009. I am the second owner. Two additional hull/deck shells were built and sold to private boat builders. The moulds were then sold to Challenger. I'm not sure what year. I am presently restoring this boat.
derekjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 04:59   #25

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjean
I am presently restoring this boat.
Hi DerekJean! Welcome to the forum! If you haven't already, visit my Anacapa website at : www.anacapas.com and join on up. We would love to have you! If you have any pics to share you can post them on the site, or email them to me. We are refitting Challenger hull #1, and will be splashing her tomorrow. Hope to see you, Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 08:07   #26

Greetings, DerekJean. Hull no. 1 must be the "Footloose", Bob Crabtree's former boat. I was aboard her once at the Oxnard Marina. I had bought the tooling for these wonderful boats from Howard Stern (Challenger) not long after he had purchased it (early to mid-seventies), and I started up Acapulco Yachts in San Diego, as you may know. Islander had "possession" of the tooling for a short time until Stern picked it up. Islander was kind enough to lay up a set of parts for me (I waved a large check under their nose, and they needed the money) before Stern picked up the stuff. It was the finest set of tooling I had seen and produced the fairest GRP hulls I had ever seen. That first boat (the Oriana) became my prototype and became famous for sailing the world over 20 years. The owners wrote an excellent book about this long adventure, which I believe any owner should have in their library. "One Wave at a Time", by Edward Atkin. Factoid: Billy Atkin was his uncle!

Enjoy that fine vesell to the fullest.

Garry Powell
Portland
Yachtbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 05:39   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, derekjean.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 22:27   #28

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:43   #29

I HAVE A 1974 KETCH , REALLY GOOD BOAT
tarrto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 07:28   #30

Greetings,
A little late with this reply if anyone is still out there.

I also own an Acapulco 40 that I keep in SE Connecticut. Built in 1972 I believe and launched in 76. The original owner purchased the unfinished upper and lower halves and finished her out himself. Still going strong. When I bought her in Texas, the surveyor thought it was bullet proof. Still the most rugged boat of it size around with the exception of some of the double enders that came out of Asia in the 80s, like Hans Christians, and Tayanas.

I still have a tiller and would love to hear from someone with a wheel so I could look at a conversion some day.

Are there any organizations or clubs that folks belong to these days?
Sapphir3 is offline   Reply With Quote