Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2008, 17:54   #1

Abacos or BVI ?

Hi Everyone!
We are new to cruising and we are taking a Moorings catamaran trip this summer to either the BVI or the Abacos. The question is...which one???
We have 4 kids, ages 9 to 14, and we want to have a good adventure. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 18:37   #2

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
If you like snorkeling or diving go to the Abacos, if you like mountains on the ocean and more wind for sailing go the BVI's. Been to both places and that's my one sentence summary.

Fair Winds
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 05:22   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I've been to both, and from an adult's viewpoint, I'd pick BVI, hands down. The scenery is prettier, the winds are better, greater variety of restaurants, beach bars and anchorages. I don't know about your four kids, though. The Abaco beaches and shallow water might be a key factor for them.

Maybe someone with kids and relevant experience will chime in.

You might try posting in a couple of the subforums here, and see what you get back: Traveltalkonline: Viewing list of forums
Old 27-03-2008, 05:36   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
For a charter BVI is hard to beat. Easy sailing, deep water and, for new charterers who might not feel comfortable on the hook, lots of mooring balls. Lots of nice beaches close to the mooring fields. If they want to snorkel there's better snorkeling in the BVI than in the Hub area of the Abacos. With four kids food is a factor and it's a lot cheaper in BVI than in Marsh Harbour.
Old 28-03-2008, 20:23   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
We've chartered three times in the virgins and once (power) in the Abaco's. We thought the snorkling was better in the Abacos. Also, the water is trully 'gin' clear. Lots of sharks in that area though. Also, flights are tough to get to Marsh Harbor. I think the beaches are better in the Abaco's also.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 04:39   #6

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Cruised in Both

We have been to both also, and as far as the kids are concerned, I don't see what they would do differently from one place to the other.

Abacos:
~ more beaches
~ may be cooler that time of year
~ locals are MUCH friendlier
~ felt totally safe walking back streets at night (except Marsh Harbor)
~ more areas to snorkel

BVI:
~ MUCH prettier
~ winds may be better
~ easier navigation (but, if you know what you are doing, that should not be a concern)
~ locals have a terrible attitude towards whites
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 06:29   #7

Boat: Privilege 585, 60', Sabore
"terrible attitude towards whites" (in BVI)

I would like to suggest you not take this statement as truth in your choice of the best place to cruise. My wife and I have worked here in the BVI for the last 12 years and we can say without a doubt that BVI'ers are some of the nicest people in the Caribbean.

Where I think it's easy to assume the local West Indians are rude or hateful towards tourists is when you interact with those whose only exposure to white people has been in the tourist trade. After watching the way the majority of American (mainly) tourists behave on their one week vacation to Buffetland I even cringe. In the vacationer's assault to get the most out of their trip waitresses, cab drivers, desk clerks and dock workers end up being treated like furniture. If you treated you friends and neighbors at home the same way you might feel unwelcome eventually.

BVI residents don't always greet with a smile but once you get it started try to stop it.

My two cents

MC
divingmikeboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 06:49   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Got to agree with divingmikeboats. Once you get to know the folks they're just like everybody else. Takes time to get to know them as they are more reserved than most of us. Also they tend not to approve of tourists running around town half or more than half naked.
Old 29-03-2008, 06:50   #9

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I agree that the BVI natives are very nice, and we can be very rude as vacationers. All said, The BVI's are cheaper and the cruising area is excellent. But I wouldn't take small kids there. The Abacos are easy to navigate but can be very shallow, great beaches. Either place will be hot in the summer, I'd choose the late fall for the BVI's and the winter for the Abacos. Also remember it is hurricane season from June to November in both places, the later in the season the better chance for a storm, if your going to go do it in June.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 11:52   #10

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Uh, they're considering going to the BVIs for a week with four kids. They're going to be tourists and they will be treated rudely. My wife and I have traveled to Switzerland, Austria, Germany, France, Canada, VIs, Honduras, Abacos/Exumas and Mexico. They don't have " "attitudes" anywhere except the VIs. All of these places are sworming with tourist and we are always treated cordially. Even the French are friendlier <g>.

As I write this, we are sitting in Nassau waiting on weather to move. Tourists everywhere (5 cruise boats in the Harbor) and the locals are very friendly. Even those in parts of town away from the boats. My daughter is back in NC and will be waiting on tables tonight in Blowing Rock (talk about rude customers). My wife put herself through college waiting tables. We know what it is like to be in their shoes. We are ALWAYS friendly and treat waitresses/waiters with respect. We were in the VIs four years ago and were treat like scum in every restaurant except one. I was told that it's just the "island" way....bull. There is no excuse for being rude.

If you want to go sailing where the locals are friendly, then go to the Bahamas.
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 12:11   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I've been sailing the BVI four times and the Abacos once. I didn't encounter any rude or unfriendly behavior at any time in either location.
Old 29-03-2008, 12:13   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
HUD,

That HUGE smile probably disarms everyone!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 12:15   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Hi Everyone!
We are new to cruising and we are taking a Moorings catamaran trip this summer to either the BVI or the Abacos. The question is...which one???
We have 4 kids, ages 9 to 14, and we want to have a good adventure. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum, Julie. Glad you're here.

As others have stated, I, too, emphatically disagree with the person who posted his/her distaste for the locals in the BVIs. I've found them to be some of the nicest, kindest people I've ever met, if a little shy and reserved. The same can be said for the inhabitants of the Bahamas.

You can pretty much expect to get back what you put out, in the islands as anywhere else. 'Twas ever thus.

If I only had a week, I'd choose the BVIs. To me, the Bahamas are just too close to the US to feel like I've truly "gotten away." I wouldn't worry about a person as young as nine needing shallower water, either. A nine-year-old will have a blast in the BVIs, especially if his/her older siblings include him/her in their activities.

I would also second the point that you'd be wise to take your trip closer to June than September. Bad weather can occur at anytime, of course, but, statistically, June will be more reliable. The old adage, when it comes to hurricanes, is "June, too soon; October, all over."

Have a wonderful vacation.

TaoJones
Old 29-03-2008, 18:53   #14

Boat: Privilege 585, 60', Sabore
BVI vs. Abacos

Hey Julie,

You can't go wrong either place. If you do choose the BVI drop me a line and I can key you in on some of the alternative spots we like to take families with youngsters. If you follow the suggested routes the bareboat companies recommend you will come away thinking the BVI's are nothing but beach bars. Foxy's and the Willy T are not the BVI. There is another 99% most visitors miss.

MC
divingmikeboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 11:54   #15

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Not even a close decision. BVI.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, British Virgin Islands