Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2019, 11:35   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35
A boat named Revenge.

It is clear to me now that I must do what I have to do. I simply must live the hand I have been dealt. And though somewhat relieved, I am significantly more
than just a little saddened by the events of the past 60 years and the shocking discovery that I am a poor choice of companionship both in the opposite sex... and dogs. A story for another time...the dog. But boats....ahhhh boats! Summers on Lake Erie and Chatauqua. Hobies and Sunfish was all it took to plant the seed that is now well rooted. I am a man set loose to pursue the life many wish they could but find themselves firmly tethered to things persistently immovable and unforgiving of even the most innocent neglect. I am free to buy a modest sailing vessel and make it mine. My home, my way my, mine, me...me, mine...blah, blah, blah.. hmm. no.

chuck all that...except maybe for the women and the damn dog...anyway.

New here, looking to begin in a place where I should have been all along. On board...some experience, I'm handy as hell...great at improvising and looking for my sail-away home to be named "Revenge". Hope you will tolerate an occasional really dumb question or slightly too animated response. Love the community and promise to be a positive influence as long as we don't get too deeply into subjects in praise of man's best friend...I'm still healing.
Cire Edhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 12:10   #2

Re: A boat named Revenge.

In my youth, our Sea Scout Ship was called the SSS Revenge IV of the Piedmont Scout Council. Berthed at Alameda Naval Air Station. Many fond memories of that 63' WWII-era AVR boat. AVR 63s - The designation AVR was used for "Auxiliary [or Aircraft, depending on the source], Vessel, Rescue”. They were primarily used for rescuing pilots downed near coastal and intermediate offshore waters. Their role was expanded, beyond the design intent to move in quickly and retrieve downed airmen in the Pacific, Atlantic and Mediterranean waters. With the US Navy some AVRs were assigned the role as a sub chaser and patrol boat. Our ship of course had all its many guns removed for civilian use. We leased it from the Navy with the caveat that the Navy could recall it if in need of such for a war. Very fast and powerful. I'm not completely certain as to the specific model but I believe on our version the propulsive power was provided by 2 Hall-Scott “Defender” 650hp straight drive engines mounted amidships.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	revenge IV.PNG
Views:	106
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	196245  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 12:19   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cire Edhor View Post
Love the community and promise to be a positive influence as long as we don't get too deeply into subjects in praise of man's best friend...I'm still healing.

with you about man's best friend.
Old 19-07-2019, 13:19   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Welcome!

Sounds like there are a bunch of fresh wounds there. Hope they heal with time. Maybe then you'll want to pick a more upbeat name for your vessel.

Either way, you're in the right place for cruising information.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 13:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cire Edhor

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 03:20   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

Tried to register my old boat as "Revenge" but apparently there were already quiet a few of them about and the name had to be unique to the subject vessel so ended up with "Roughnecks Revenge" which everyone shortened to "The Roughy" which, considering it's scruffy appearance tended to the appropriate.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 05:11   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Don't stop growing! There might be a happy woman and a happy dog in your happy future! 60 is not old, says the 73 year old.
Old 30-07-2019, 14:16   #8

Boat: Beneteau 461 46' three cabin version. No longer own

Greetings and welcome aboard. Instead of Revenge, it sounds more like a boat called Freedom.

John
Jfricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 14:47   #9

Boat: Catalina 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfricks View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard. Instead of Revenge, it sounds more like a boat called Freedom.

John
Or Relief
ChesapeakeRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 15:03   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

There is a boat I’m my marina named, “Despite Alimony.”
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 23:16   #11

Boat: Island Packet 40

Had an uncle once had a dog and who borrowed a ute (pickup) The dog was his constant companion and used to sit under the table at dinner time and sleep on the foot of the bed at night, much to my aunts disgust. The dog used to ride on the passenger side seat and anyone else would have to ride in the back. When my uncle returned the ute to it's owner the dog got underneath it and refused to come out and when he did manage to get it on a leash and take it home it immediately jumped the fence and went back to the ute. He finally gave up on trying to separate dog and ute and would never have another dog for the rest of his life.

Some of us would like to hear the dog story but don't bother about the other one, to many of us have been there ourselves.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 19:27   #12

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

The truth is that as with all dogs, we tend to outlive them...He was a golden with nearly 15 years at my side. He was tired, so tired...he chased 10000 balls, hunted pheasants whether I was with him or he was just wasting time waiting for me to arrive home from work...and I knew I had to say good bye..I believe he was greatful... I say I hate him...he left me here to go on without his happy disposition and intense sense of loyalty... he was my dog...Gage. I still cry...
Cire Edhor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat