Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2013, 07:42   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
To me it looks that this is the same person as Max Power, same style, same comments, same closing post.
So, now, can this thread be closed once for all?
Old 14-02-2013, 07:49   #47

Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

I'm not Max Power, a mod can verify it by IP addresses.
NearLifeXpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 07:51   #48

Boat: Cal 2-27

ok, I'll go first. Rock! (I hope he don't pick paper)
Old 14-02-2013, 07:53   #49

Boat: Ohlson 38

PCampbell and Foster (2007)[15] review the literature on narcissism. They argue that narcissists possess the following "basic ingredients":

Positive: Narcissists think they are better than others.[16]
Inflated: Narcissists' views tend to be contrary to reality. In measures that compare self-report to objective measures, narcissists' self-views tend to be greatly exaggerated.[17]
Agentic: Narcissists’ views tend to be most exaggerated in the agentic domain, relative to the communion domain.[clarification needed][16][17]
Special: Narcissists perceive themselves to be unique and special people.[18]
Selfish: Research upon narcissists’ behaviour in resource dilemmas supports the case for narcissists as being selfish.[19]
Oriented toward success: Narcissists are oriented towards success by being, for example, approach oriented.[clarification needed][20]
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 08:05   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
All part of life's rich tapestry...
With 5 or 6 billion people on the planet we're going to get all the extremes... Gandhi to Gates, but I think this guy is great.
He makes me feel sane

I do know that some folk win the lottery, and some get ahead by dreaming and believing big and going for it big time. I'm not about to say it doesn't work because with 6 billion people out there, there'll be some examples of success.
Even though they may be coincidental, try telling that to the ones who got lucky. They will be the 'true believers' like this guy, even though he doesn't seem to have had the success he believes in yet, or he wouldn't be here trying to get sailing this way.
But who knows... it only takes one boat, and we all know boat owners are nuts...
Hey, I've even got a sister who believes God finds her parking spaces. Try telling her otherwise

I think most of us are dreamers at heart, but personally, I found our dream needed a fair bit of sweat equity to help it along

So this guy keeps life colourful.... and I'm going to be really pissed if his mate just gives him the Swan

Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearLifeXpert View Post
This is great, look at the anger, suppressed hatred, and pain pour out of people's souls all aimed at me, the awful, horrible, disgusting person who asked for something nobody wanted or was no longer using. How dare I ask for something nobody wants, cares about, or uses. Okay... I'll fix this right up...

I may be able to get half ownership for $10,000.00. But I'll try to bargain it down to $1.00, for the sole reason because I can if I want. Let's see how that plays out now...."Here's what I have: Cool boat. New ladyfriend. ... <---- compulsory smile that triggers anger

P.S. Thanks Dockhead, my bad. I forgot to take out the links.
Dood...stop using the steroids and step away from the syringe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
To me it looks that this is the same person as Max Power, same style, same comments, same closing post.
So, now, can this thread be closed once for all?
Quote:
I'm not Max Power, a mod can verify it by IP addresses.
So, you went to a free wifi spot to create a new username?
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 08:09   #51

Thanks for all your energy people, focused on my dream, adding to its power, it is very greatly appreciated! I'll hang back now as the positive intention of this post takes it effect and brings light into darkened souls. And love moves into the hearts of those in this post who need it.

I'll be back when the time is right.
NearLifeXpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 08:10   #52

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Man, is sure got hot in here quick!

"Blue Crab"
"Here's what I have: Cool boat. New ladyfriend. Grown children. No debt. Low blood pressure. Beat that hot shot."
Cool boat? I thought that was what he was after????? and I'm sure that that should be 'groan' children
I also have some doubts about that face being someone in their 60s

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 08:10   #53

When I first started reading this thread, I thought "you know, this guy has it all together..." Now I have come to the conclusion that this guy will beg, lie, cheat, and beg some more.....to get whatever he wants. AND if he doesn't get it, he starts to insult people....who are saying they don't agree with his tactics...

I for one like to see my fellow man/woman in a good way....then someone like this comes along and it depresses me
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 09:07   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

Seems that DOJ is in a minority on this one! (along with NLX - that easier to type!).

But do I care? do I f#ck! . I suspect NLX in the same boat on that.......

In any event, my reading of this thread is that NLX is not asking for a free boat (not any longer), just reporting back on the 2 years away which did include the offer of a free boat!, albeit not taken up.

Whilst I can understand that some will be "offended" by the original request, nonetheless that is a long since past event (for NLX) and in any event the odds are high that any free boat he was offered (or anyone else will be offered in the future) will not be the sailaway on a dream boat that others have worked long and hard to acheive for themselves .....likely just another avenue for (more?) heartache (a "free" boat being an oxymoron!....my word of the week )......but sometimes planets do align - and if it works for both parties, then WTF does it really matter to anyone else? ............ I am sure we all do stuff that others will / would have / do! tut tut over - but my attitude of f#ck 'em is likely not a lone voice .

Whether that Maldives Charter oppportunity is real or not, only one way to find out! Likely that NLX would like himself to be included in any deal somehow - but that not compulsory . If I had half a million dollars of catamaran that had sailed to SEA and I wasn't fussed about waiting a few more years to complete a trip to the Med (when Somalia quietens down a bit?!) and wanted to be back "home" (working ) and was wondering what to do with the boat in the meantime then I would be at least curious to see if it was at least a possibility......to either at least cover my costs, make a few dollars on top - with half an eye on the possibility of relocating to build a business from the ground up. Is it a big ask by NLX? yeah fairly (how many "spare" large cats in that part of the world?!) - but he ain't after a freebie cat! (well, not from my reading).

In regard to NLX's story of empowering the lady from Bali, although my former stomping ground in South East Asia ("SEA") was a bit further north, nonetheless the story does chime with me. and that whether absolutely true or not! (that might be a SEA thing ).

One thing you do appreciate when outside the west is the opportunities everyone has, including (especially?!) those of own that have been wasted, simply not grasped or p#ssed up against a wall (sometimes litterally!)....poverty of ambition holds people back as much as anything else - and whether in the west or in SEA sometimes all someone needs is another to say "why not?", a helping hand (or simply a listening ear and encouragement) is also helpful, but not always essential.

One of the things I found in that part of the world is that lots of bright and hardworking folks around (christ knows what the number of those are in China!), and that even the not so bright! and not so hardworking! could acheive far better things if not bound by their origins, and those limits often enough self imposed........with it being the 21st Century their are ever more opportunities for folks in SEA (no matter the humble background).

Although I am only in my mid 40's, even I remember the days (in the UK) when certain professions and edukation levels were pretty much reserved for folks from "good" families, plus the (genuinely!) bright peasants!, by convention if nothing else. Yer Dad was a window cleaner? So what? In ye olden days the route out from following that was primarily formal education (University) whereas nowadays you don't actually need that (albeit no doubt often helpful).....a big world has got a lot smaller in the last 20 years, which enables folks to self-educate to at least ask themselves the question "why not?" and then be able to go out and find the answer for themselves. Opportunity and Ambition.

I say fair play to NLX for helping someone along that path ........of course probably helped that she is pretty .

Quote:
Thanks David,

Nope, no delusions, just a very clear understanding of the way the world is constructed and the powers that be. Just because others think the world has limitations on it, doesn't mean I have to. I just simply know better from my own experience.

Here is an example. My GF is from Bali (where I live 6 months of the year). No college education, no managerial skills, no former experience, no connections, no money. In 2009 she got an entry level job at a 5 Star Spa in Bali making $150.00 a month. I began to teach her that she could have anything she wanted, and taught her how to do it. I said pick a place you want to go. She chose Club Med, Maldives. All others laughed and said "impossible" and I told her just do what I taught you and see what happens. 3 months later Asst. Manager, 6 months later, she was sent to Club Med Bali as an Asst Manager, and I told her see? They are putting you there because they want you to go to the Maldives, it's a test. She believed me, and started jumping up and down (you know how they do) and I got her to really believe it herself, and sink in it was all coming together. I said, when you get there, I'll come over and we'll take pictures and then you'll understand anything you can imagine or dream can be yours...

Two months later... Boss...

She starts making more money then she ever imagined in her life, I'm ripping up the best waves in the world and staying at one of the world's best hotels for $72.00 a day while everyone else pays $500.00. This month she bought her own home, no mortgage, cash. 28 years old. All done by intention and with purpose, and knowledge of how the world is designed.

I will try to recall from memory my original post and put it in this thread, I think it will help others understand the context of this thread better. Maybe all I really want to do is help people, give back. We'll just have to see how this all plays out, as life is a continuous motion of change. And yes of course, I want get my own yacht, but in my way. What most would deem impossible.

I guess most people believe that the only thing of value is pieces of paper with $ on them. I find true value in love, joy, compassion, helping people, serving others, inner peace, and serenity. But there is nothing more satisfying than the look on someone's face when you help them realize a dream. You can't ever put a price on that.

The Maldives opportunity is for real. If I had a yacht, believe me I'd be there. That's how it all came about, initially I had a friend who said he wanted to do it, and now when it's here, no follow through. Here the opportunity is and I have no yacht in which to take advantage of it. Who wants it? I'll help ya!.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 09:22   #55
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
PCampbell and Foster (2007)[15] review the literature on narcissism. They argue that narcissists possess the following "basic ingredients":

Positive: Narcissists think they are better than others.[16]
Inflated: Narcissists' views tend to be contrary to reality. In measures that compare self-report to objective measures, narcissists' self-views tend to be greatly exaggerated.[17]
Agentic: Narcissists’ views tend to be most exaggerated in the agentic domain, relative to the communion domain.[clarification needed][16][17]
Special: Narcissists perceive themselves to be unique and special people.[18]
Selfish: Research upon narcissists’ behaviour in resource dilemmas supports the case for narcissists as being selfish.[19]
Oriented toward success: Narcissists are oriented towards success by being, for example, approach oriented.[clarification needed][20]
As someone who has previously been "diagnosed" on CF as a Sociopath all I can say is that I don't recognise any of the above in NLX's writings (at least not more than is normal!). In the writings and rants of others.........
Old 14-02-2013, 09:25   #56

Boat: Catalina 30

My question, does the OP look just like Ben Affleck?
Old 14-02-2013, 09:55   #57

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

And the award for entertainment today goes to.......lol
Old 14-02-2013, 10:14   #58

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
As someone who has previously been "diagnosed" on CF as a Sociopath all I can say is that I don't recognise any of the above in NLX's writings (at least not more than is normal!). In the writings and rants of others.........
Touché! Too often, I forget to follow the advice to "always keep my words soft and sweet, just in case I have to eat them".
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 10:41   #59
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Touché! Too often, I forget to follow the advice to "always keep my words soft and sweet, just in case I have to eat them".
Not sure if it was you who previously diagnosed me - but I have some fava beans and a nice Chianti to go with that...........

(a joke of course - It's the Pyschopaths who get enjoyment from that sort of stuff, for Sociopaths it's just business ).
Old 14-02-2013, 10:45   #60

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
So now we've got 2?????

There goes the neighbourhood...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote