Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 20:27   #241

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: What Do You Do for a Living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
I'm a Tax Collextor for the government

I've got quite a good business that employs 12 people. It makes some money and I pass most of it on to the government in Sales Tax, Company tax, GST, Income tax, Employee PAYG tax, Late fees and if I'm not careful, fines.

For the privilige, they let me keep a little bit - but only if I pay personal income tax on it.
Your not one of the Disciples, are you?
Old 04-04-2012, 21:08   #242

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Your not one of the Disciples, are you?
Indeed!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:52   #243

* Born in Boston,grew up in Michigan/Ohio
*Picked asparagus in field when 12 (they made a mistake by paying per hour so my girlfriend & I spent time waving at boys in cars that honked or at gas station across the road because the boys wore uniforms )
*worked in early version of Toys R Us picking up & wrapping toys the PARENTS took out to see if it had all the parts then bought one wrapped
*went to college to be a vet but stopped because 7 years seemed forever
*continued education
*worked in medical industry testing samples of batches for safety, sterility & toxicity.
*company moved me to California
*mom x2 boys (hardest job you'll ever love )
* moved to Nevada (Reno, Ely, Vegas)
* finished education after 14 years-BS Science,
2 MS education & counseling (could have finished vet school twice :
*worked as rescue diver/ Assistant Instructor Scuba (PADi)
*found career I loved-taught science (biology, chemistry mostly) including 4 years teaching in maximum security prison for men (they were good students-had all the time to study!)
*moved to Utah lived in log cabin
* moved back to California, bought boat, cruised 1 1/2 years Mexico/Sea of Cortez
* now back teaching-2 years to retire hopefully-or do online teaching- just waiting for the next adventure!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:59   #244

Boat: too many

SailorG,

While in the Sea of Cortez, did you ever anchor out in Sanispac, south of Muluge?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:08   #245

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

wet work, now nothing... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:28   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
SailorG,

While in the Sea of Cortez, did you ever anchor out in Sanispac, south of Muluge?
Spent most of our time around La Paz & islands around there. Went up the sea & got as far north as Isla Carmen off Loreto. Stayed in Puerto Escondido a while but made it back to La Paz for Carnival. Would love to retire somewhere warm like that. I speak enough Spanish to get by so can function. Although, South Pacific sounds amazing too. I'm a traveler like most CF & can't figure where/if to settle. You too it sounds.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:36   #247

I still have a lot of travelling to do. Was restricted in most of my travels by where and when the shipping companies were directing me and look forward to destinations and time frames of my own choosing.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:10   #248
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

I'll throw in...

Started at age 13 officiating youth soccer. Work one day a week, and make $70-$100 for it. This would be in the 1980's (yes, I'm still young), and it was great to be a kid making good money. I worked some construction, got on with an electrician, started with him as a trencher (old school, with a shovel). Worked hard, eventually did hookups and installs. He built custom computers at night. I was in to computers, so I started working for him nights putting the pieces together. Parlayed that into a series of computer related jobs that payed for college (along with being a janitor, and still pulling wire), ended up as a UNIX administrator for an ISP. Still reff'ed the footy, although by then I was doing HS games making $75 each.

Graduated, got married, stayed in the ISP world. Dropped out of grad school to be involved in a startup ISP. It got pretty big. Got bought out by a big microwave company that wanted to get more into data. Got transferred from administration to field engineering. Got headhunted into the music industry as a mercenary geek. That got big. Wrote some software while there that I ended up starting my own business based around. That didn't get big, but big enough. Then the economy tanked, my client's budgets had no room for me, so I went to work as a consultant for an IT firm. Did home theater installs on the side.

Wife wanted to move back home, so we did. I couldn't get past the paper screening for any decent IT jobs (no degree in it) so I went back to work as an electrician. Got an interview for an intern spot at a consulting company, and didn't get the intern job, but did walk out of the interview with an offer to be their senior engineer. That was great, making tons of money, but had no time to spend it.

Gave it all up to follow my childhood dream of being a fireman. Now I have a funny "Magnum P.I." mustache and ride around in big red. I clean toilets and mop floors every work day. I don't belong to the yacht club, but we have a nice boat and are looking to get a bit bigger one. The admiral is a teacher, so she has summers off. I have a bit of seniority now, so between trading shifts and vacation I can get blocks of time off during the summer too. I have 12 years till I'm eligible to retire, 14 till the house is paid and the kid graduates college. Till then we'll just have to continue loving life and spending our free time together on our little boat.

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:10   #249

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Oil, rigs, platforms, drilling, drill site manager.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:20   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
Oil, rigs, platforms, drilling, drill site manager.
Which company? I worked for Noble.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:44   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Which company? I worked for Noble.
Smedvig,Seadrill, Seawell, now Archer, but i have never left my company, they just keep getting new names.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:53   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
Smedvig,Seadrill, Seawell, now Archer, but i have never left my company, they just keep getting new names.
Know what you saying, Noble acquired a few companies while I was with them. As long as they got your name right on the check, all is good.

Is this how you commuted to work?
Old 09-04-2012, 14:16   #253

Yes, but its only 1 hour , 2 weeks on 4 off.
Old 09-04-2012, 14:28   #254

It was generally an hour flight for me too. Always equal time on vs time off. Gulf 2 and 2, Brazil and North Sea 4 and 4.
Old 09-04-2012, 15:26   #255
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The marine traffic controllers at Hook of Holland use an advanced radar system to track all shipping in the area. It consisted of radar systems at multiple locations, all linked to the command bunker at the actual entrance at the pier.

One of those radars was on an oil platform in the North Sea; others on top of lighthouses etc.. I was one of the guys doing maintenance on all the radar sets and sometimes had to visit the platform. The only other time I was in a helicopter was when I was in the army (cavalry of course ) and got a lift from a yank heli in Germany

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote