Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2010, 08:40   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Weaning Off CF Over Discouragement

I’m thinking it is time to start weaning myself off CF.

When I originally found the site it was for research in cruising (I had never sailed) and probably read the site for almost a year before I joined (and learned enough that I learned to sail and got a boat after all). It was a good thing that I had the bug enough to get past the negatives of a lot of the posts though. For a while I read sailnet.com, but stopped after it became clear the overall tone was negative and bitter while at the time CF tended to be friendlier.

Even back then I found that CF suffered the forum issue of quickly going off track. Seems the site has an “expert” problem where a group of people always seems to “know” the answer and made a thread reply, but it normally is only related to someone else’s reply and does not really provide an answer (then are people who have been a member less than a year and have over 1000 posts). Then after the first page of comments it frequently becomes more about knocking each down over another’s comments to “win” a discussion point (compare page 5 of a thread to the original question sometime to see how it drifted off). Ever notice that the original poster of the thread lots of times just disappears from the topic?

I also feel that the site tends to be discouraging to people looking for answers to cruising life that brought them to the site to start with. I think there is a big difference between telling people of considerations they should take into account on their plan, as opposed to basically telling them it can not be done. Great examples of this are any threads asking about budgets, Water boats">blue water boats, Beneteuas, Hunters etc. Instead of encouraging and helping people make the right decisions for them, answers that basically try to scare the hell out them become the norm, again to prove someone is an “expert”.

Being an ex Navy Nuclear mechanic who researches a topic before posting a “technical” question when I start looking for experience based answers; I’m amazed that there is little useful input on a lot of questions, but lots of semi-wild options. When it comes down to it we are talking about boats, not rocket science. I know I don’t have the right answer if I ask a question, but lots of times there isn’t a “right” answer just choices to consider.

On plus side, I do feel the more social related threads are mostly fun. If overall we lightened up more CF would be much better. Last year I posted a thread about sharing and discussing the “joy” of sailing, which died fast and makes you question if people really are having a good time sailing in general.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 09:22   #2

Boat: Rainbow 24
You may be better served by talking to sailors in real life, Don. They never argue for hours over pointless bits of trivia.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:41   #3

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
in all seriousness Don i know what you mean. i have a good friend who cruisers more in the style of the pardeys and he became very turned off to this website for most of the reasons you describe, you need to have this that and the other thing to go cruising, there are a million different ways to do things, some of which you will never hear about on CF,

me, well i still spend countless hours on here everyday, and i appreciate the wealth of knowledge here, i am also aware of the shortcomings, just dont take CF as the gospel and youll do allright
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 09:43   #4

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
unfortunately you just cant make everyone happy......thank god or this place would be boring.............sorry
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 10:00   #5

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Don your just having a bad day. Relax, have a drink, don't take life so seriuosly. Every forum I have looked at is like this.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 10:23   #6

With all due respect, Mr. Lucas, if that's your real name; You couldn't be more wrong. I am about to spend half an hour writing a full page on how wrong you are. In fact, if you were more like me, you'd be more right like I am. You see, this world spins here, at my desk. The movie stars me, not you. I want all to know how right I am and how wrong you are...starting now! hehe

I'm a newbie here. My family will circumnavigate one day. I have a massive education to undergo. I read a ton of stuff here to take a break from my painful office and to help prepare. I rarely get to the last page of a thread, though, due to the bunny trails they turn down and the just plain meanness the authors exhibit towards each other. Gosh, aren't we all in love with sailing and wouldn't most of us hang out aboard with a nice beer and steak in some otherwise lonely atol.

The web is freaking mean and the worst in people comes out here. People are prideful, condescending, rude, and just plain mean to each other here...but around a bbq pit on a nice mono OR multi-hull...things are cool. I don't get it.

That's the nice thing about reading the Dashew books or sailing magazines...no one can chime in and tell me what an idiot the author is or what an idiot I would be if I listened to him/her.

I'm not leaving CF, but I understand why one would. It's not just CF, though, IMHO. My HOA forum is the same. the MacGregor forum is the same. Heck, every forum I can think of has people on there that seem to thrive on being uncool while typing.

Mr. Lucas, please be prepared for bunny trails off this thread regarding the mono/multi debate, the merit of the Dashew books, MacGregor sailboats, and the internet. LOL

From Me To You Sir - Happy Sailing. Happy Reading. Maybe we'll share a beer and a steak in some lonely atol one day. !!!!!!
skeedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 11:02   #7

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
The web is freaking mean and the worst in people comes out here. People are prideful, condescending, rude, and just plain mean to each other here...but around a bbq pit on a nice mono OR multi-hull...things are cool. I don't get it.
That's because around the Barbie, commentary like that would, more than likely, get them a fat lip. Here, one has a semblance of anonymity.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 11:19   #8

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Don, having been in chat rooms (what this really is) since the '90's, including the old CWBB when flameing-wars could rage for days, CF is pretty mild.

Twitter, Facebook, comments to verious news blogs, texting, blind emails, we've all become a World wide bunch of faceless critics, each with our own agenda. Decorum, truth, and yes, even intelligence is nolonger considered as a requirement.

Enjoy one of the greatest gifts of cruising - haul up your anchor and go explore what's over the horizan.

Thank you for your contributations!

regards John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 11:27   #9

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Don, I see what you see and perhaps even get sucked into it myself a bit more than I care to admit.

However, as someone who has also asked many questions, I feel the bottom line is that in the end, I end up with some very informed answers to my question as well as some very valuable opinions. I can choose to ignore the rest.

Despite the discussion point game as you put it, I feel there is much good here and I know you are one who has contributed much. I hope you are able to look beyond the game playing and realize these forums still have much to offer and choose remain a valued contributor who chooses to help, share and network instead of getting caught up in the games.

Whatever your choice, I wish you fair winds sand happy sailing.

- Dave Z.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 11:53   #10

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Hey Don:

Im probably one of those opinionated experts you don't like..

I have enjoyed your input on things and I have enjoyed what I have been able to input as well...As they say it is more fun to give then to receive... For me, if it was only about technical info I would be out of here and buy a book.

You all have become friends plain and simple..A few I have had the pleasure of meeting in person and a few I dearly hope to..I use to think only nerds and geeks were on Forums...well I found out different and I have actually enjoyed and benefited from everyone...even the hostile ones, as it helps me learn, stay centered and grow into a better person and communicator as well.

I tend to post a lot as I seem to want to engage with as many conversations and points of view as I can if I know even a little on the subject...This may annoy some if it has you I apologize for that..but it is who I am...I am a touchy feely kind of guy...at times one of the louder voices in the bar kind of guys.

I hope you stick around...chatting up a storm isn't for everyone..but as has been mentioned that's what this place is a chat room about boats.

If personal stories and personalities, humor and friendly jabs were missing I would not be here either.

I actually left in the very beginning due to constant moderation of my kind of play fullness...but the new site just didn't have the traffic to keep me interested.

Some may want to check in once in a while to learn about this or that...for me it is more then that ..This is my "Yacht club'....and I come here daily to say Hi and see who walks into the club that day with a new question or story to share...I have been proud to call you a member of that club..I hope you stick.....

Sit down mate..tell me a story and let me buy ya a beer..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 12:02   #11

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Hi Don,

thread drift seems to be a new law of nature I just stop reading after the second page and I don't think I'll ever again open a firearms or pirates thread I've often noticed that you talk sense when you post, we'd be poorer without you.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 12:11   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I may have, at times, been guilty of "Conversational Terrorism", for which I apologise. Even so, only a very small percentage of my (or anyone's. or the forum's) contributions could be described as "negative"*.

* I wouldn't judge a "don't drink poison" as a negative post.

See the website:
“... The intent of detailing and naming these insidious tactics is so that the reader may AVOID USING THEM, to quickly recognize if someone else is using them, and for fun ...”

Goto ➥ Conversational Terrorism: How NOT to Talk!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 12:15   #13

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
...I am a touchy feely kind of guy...at times one of the louder voices in the bar kind of guy.
Stillraining, keep your hands to yourself!

Don, may I suggest an alternative? By now you seem to be just as sick as I am of the Mono vs. Multi, Bluewater cockpit, "I think I want to sail around the world...can you teach me from scratch?" posts. Just STOP. Stop clicking on every thread. Only visit threads that have something that truly engages you. Post more jovial threads...threads with pictures and cruising stories. Help the forum change. If you have info that can truly help a poster, throw it up there. If your're not quite sure, leave it out. When I first started looking around the 'net for a good sailing forum I joined several...HOLY CRAP!!! If you think this forum is bad, check out some of the other current forums. Racism, sexism, person insults and threats...several of the "other" forums seem to almost encourage it. Please consider staying here and helping the site improve. BTW, Mono's kick Muti's butts, bluewater cockpits must be tiny, a shotgun is the perfect weapon, nothing beats a Rocna or Manson Supreme and no, I wont help you kill yourself! If you REALLY need to vent, post an incredibly dirty sexist joke in the joke thread. Seems to work for others...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 12:17   #14

Boat: Rainbow 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
See the website:
“... The intent of detailing and naming these insidious tactics is so that the reader may AVOID USING THEM, to quickly recognize if someone else is using them, and for fun ...”

Goto ➥ Conversational Terrorism: How NOT to Talk!
Thanks bunches, Gord. Way to give away our playbook!
Old 19-03-2010, 12:20   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
... When I originally found the site it was for research in cruising (I had never sailed) and probably read the site for almost a year before I joined (and learned enough that I learned to sail and got a boat after all). It was a good thing that I had the bug enough to get past the negatives of a lot of the posts though. ...
... Seems the site has an “expert” problem where a group of people always seems to “know” the answer and made a thread reply,
"I'm not sure if I fail to disagree with that or not."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote