Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2022, 02:29   #1846
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: The 2021 & 2022 Joke Threads

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 11:18   #1847
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

You can never lose a homing pigeon – if your homing pigeon doesn’t come back what you’ve lost is just a pigeon
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 13:09   #1848

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

Disturbing Trends

The END is near!
Robot vacuum cleaner escapes from Cambridge Travelodge
And
'Drunk' robot vacuums spark complaints from owners

It won’t be long before these robots get loose and start reproducing in the wild, then, The TERMINATOR!
Old 23-01-2022, 08:19   #1849

Not sure how to flip this image, but i'll try
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B.R..JPG
Views:	305
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	251777  
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 09:10   #1850

Boat: Trawler

This should be renamed the 'Political Thread'

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1507.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	251782  
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 10:01   #1851
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

how can you tell if a politician is lying ???

...his lips are moving......

an oldie...but still a classic..
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 10:24   #1852

Boat: Trawler

What is synonymous about politicians and diapers?

They both need to be changed often and for the same reason.
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 06:20   #1853
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The people that take politicians seriously are the same people that think the stripper fancies them......
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 06:22   #1854
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 09:05   #1855
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Confession. I stole this from another website but I don't care, it's too funny not to.

AUSTRALIA AND AUSTRALIANS.

The following has been written by the late Douglas Adams of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" fame.

"Australia is a very confusing place, taking up a large amount of the bottom half of the planet. It is recognisable from orbit because of many unusual features, including what at first looks like an enormous bite taken out of its southern edge; a wall of sheer cliffs which plunge into the girting sea.

Geologists assure us that this is simply an accident of geomorphology, but they still call it the "Great Australian Bight", proving that not only are they covering up a more frightening theory but they can't spell either.

The first of the confusing things about Australia is the status of the place. Where other landmasses and sovereign lands are classified as continent, island or country, Australia is considered all three.

Typically, it is unique in this.

The second confusing thing about Australia is the animals. They can be divided into three categories: Poisonous, Odd, and Sheep. It is true that of the 10 most poisonous arachnids on the planet, Australia has 9 of them. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that of the 9 most poisonous arachnids, Australia has all of them.

Any visitors should be careful to check inside boots (before putting them on), under toilet seats (before sitting down) and generally everywhere else.

A stick is very useful for this task.

The last confusing thing about Australia is the inhabitants.

A short history: Sometime around 40,000 years ago some people arrived in boats from the north. They ate all the available food, and a lot of them died.

The ones who survived learned respect for the balance of nature, man's proper place in the scheme of things, and spiders. They settled in and spent a lot of the intervening time making up strange stories. They also discovered a stick that kept coming back.

Then, around 200 years ago, Europeans arrived in boats from the north.

More accurately, European convicts were sent, with a few deranged people in charge. They tried to plant their crops in autumn (failing to take account of the reversal of the seasons), ate all their food, and a lot of them died.

About then the sheep arrived, and have been treasured ever since. It is interesting to note here that the Europeans always consider themselves vastly superior to any other race they encounter, since they can lie, cheat, steal and litigate (marks of a civilised culture they say), whereas all the Aboriginals can do is happily survive being left in the middle of a vast red-hot desert - equipped with a stick.

Eventually, the new lot of people stopped being Europeans on 'extended holiday' and became Australians. The changes are subtle, but deep, caused by the mind-stretching expanses of nothingness and eerie quiet, where a person can sit perfectly still and look deep inside themselves to the core of their essence, their reasons for being, and the necessity of checking inside their boots every morning for fatal surprises. They also picked up the most finely tuned sense of irony in the world, and the Aboriginal gift for making up stories. Be warned.

There is also the matter of the beaches. Australian beaches are simply the nicest and best in the world, although anyone actually venturing into the sea will have to contend with sharks, stinging jellyfish, stonefish (a fish which sits on the bottom of the sea, pretends to be a rock and has venomous barbs sticking out of its back that will kill just from the pain) and surfboarders. However, watching a beach sunset is worth the risk.

As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger. Faced with insurmountable odds and impossible problems, they smile disarmingly and look for a stick. Major engineering feats have been performed with sheets of corrugated iron, string and mud.

Alone of all the races on earth, they seem to be free from the 'Grass is greener on the other side of the fence' syndrome, and roundly proclaim that Australia is, in fact, the other side of that fence. They call the land "Oz" or "Godzone" (a verbal contraction of "God's Own Country"). The irritating thing about this is... they may be right.

TIPS TO SURVIVING AUSTRALIA

Don't ever put your hand down a hole for any reason - WHATSOEVER.

The beer is stronger than you think, regardless of how strong you think it is.

Always carry a stick.

Air-conditioning is imperative.

Do not attempt to use Australian slang unless you are a trained linguist and extremely good in a fist fight.

Wear thick socks.

Take good maps. Stopping to ask directions only works when there are people nearby.

If you leave the urban areas, carry several litres of water with you at all times, or you will die. And don't forget a stick.

Even in the most embellished stories told by Australians, there is always a core of truth that it is unwise to ignore.

HOW TO IDENTIFY AUSTRALIANS

They pronounce Melbourne as "Mel-bin".

They think it makes perfect sense to decorate highways with large fibreglass bananas, prawns and sheep.

They think "Woolloomooloo" is a perfectly reasonable name for a place, that "Wagga Wagga" can be abbreviated to "Wagga", but "Woy Woy" can't be called "Woy".

Their hamburgers will contain beetroot. Apparently it's a must-have.

How else do you get a stain on your shirt?

They don't think it's summer until the steering wheel is too hot to handle.

They believe that all train timetables are works of fiction.
Old 25-01-2022, 11:11   #1856

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Confession. I stole this from another website but I don't care, it's too funny not to.

AUSTRALIA AND AUSTRALIANS.

The following has been written by the late Douglas Adams of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" fame.

"Australia is a very confusing place, taking up a large amount of the bottom half of the planet. It is recognisable from orbit because of many unusual features, including what at first looks like an enormous bite taken out of its southern edge; a wall of sheer cliffs which plunge into the girting sea.

Geologists assure us that this is simply an accident of geomorphology, but they still call it the "Great Australian Bight", proving that not only are they covering up a more frightening theory but they can't spell either.

The first of the confusing things about Australia is the status of the place. Where other landmasses and sovereign lands are classified as continent, island or country, Australia is considered all three.

Typically, it is unique in this.

The second confusing thing about Australia is the animals. They can be divided into three categories: Poisonous, Odd, and Sheep. It is true that of the 10 most poisonous arachnids on the planet, Australia has 9 of them. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that of the 9 most poisonous arachnids, Australia has all of them.

Any visitors should be careful to check inside boots (before putting them on), under toilet seats (before sitting down) and generally everywhere else.

A stick is very useful for this task.

The last confusing thing about Australia is the inhabitants.

A short history: Sometime around 40,000 years ago some people arrived in boats from the north. They ate all the available food, and a lot of them died.

The ones who survived learned respect for the balance of nature, man's proper place in the scheme of things, and spiders. They settled in and spent a lot of the intervening time making up strange stories. They also discovered a stick that kept coming back.

Then, around 200 years ago, Europeans arrived in boats from the north.

More accurately, European convicts were sent, with a few deranged people in charge. They tried to plant their crops in autumn (failing to take account of the reversal of the seasons), ate all their food, and a lot of them died.

About then the sheep arrived, and have been treasured ever since. It is interesting to note here that the Europeans always consider themselves vastly superior to any other race they encounter, since they can lie, cheat, steal and litigate (marks of a civilised culture they say), whereas all the Aboriginals can do is happily survive being left in the middle of a vast red-hot desert - equipped with a stick.

Eventually, the new lot of people stopped being Europeans on 'extended holiday' and became Australians. The changes are subtle, but deep, caused by the mind-stretching expanses of nothingness and eerie quiet, where a person can sit perfectly still and look deep inside themselves to the core of their essence, their reasons for being, and the necessity of checking inside their boots every morning for fatal surprises. They also picked up the most finely tuned sense of irony in the world, and the Aboriginal gift for making up stories. Be warned.

There is also the matter of the beaches. Australian beaches are simply the nicest and best in the world, although anyone actually venturing into the sea will have to contend with sharks, stinging jellyfish, stonefish (a fish which sits on the bottom of the sea, pretends to be a rock and has venomous barbs sticking out of its back that will kill just from the pain) and surfboarders. However, watching a beach sunset is worth the risk.

As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger. Faced with insurmountable odds and impossible problems, they smile disarmingly and look for a stick. Major engineering feats have been performed with sheets of corrugated iron, string and mud.

Alone of all the races on earth, they seem to be free from the 'Grass is greener on the other side of the fence' syndrome, and roundly proclaim that Australia is, in fact, the other side of that fence. They call the land "Oz" or "Godzone" (a verbal contraction of "God's Own Country"). The irritating thing about this is... they may be right.

TIPS TO SURVIVING AUSTRALIA

Don't ever put your hand down a hole for any reason - WHATSOEVER.

The beer is stronger than you think, regardless of how strong you think it is.

Always carry a stick.

Air-conditioning is imperative.

Do not attempt to use Australian slang unless you are a trained linguist and extremely good in a fist fight.

Wear thick socks.

Take good maps. Stopping to ask directions only works when there are people nearby.

If you leave the urban areas, carry several litres of water with you at all times, or you will die. And don't forget a stick.

Even in the most embellished stories told by Australians, there is always a core of truth that it is unwise to ignore.

HOW TO IDENTIFY AUSTRALIANS

They pronounce Melbourne as "Mel-bin".

They think it makes perfect sense to decorate highways with large fibreglass bananas, prawns and sheep.

They think "Woolloomooloo" is a perfectly reasonable name for a place, that "Wagga Wagga" can be abbreviated to "Wagga", but "Woy Woy" can't be called "Woy".

Their hamburgers will contain beetroot. Apparently it's a must-have.

How else do you get a stain on your shirt?

They don't think it's summer until the steering wheel is too hot to handle.

They believe that all train timetables are works of fiction.

Funny, but not Douglas Adams, I think.
See:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ploke/Vines/vines5.html
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 11:43   #1857
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Funny, but not Douglas Adams, I think.
See:

Australia - A Confusing Place (The explanation)
Well that was quite interesting. Seems like I stumbled into some internet misinformation. Very odd since, as we all know, everything we read on the internet is true.

But at least I can claim some degree of innocence as I just ripped this off from another. At worst I'm guilty of not verifying my sources.

So please tell, how you knew about this? Assume you've seen the bit before.
Old 25-01-2022, 11:49   #1858

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well that was quite interesting. Seems like I stumbled into some internet misinformation. Very odd since, as we all know, everything we read on the internet is true.

But at least I can claim some degree of innocence as I just ripped this off from another. At worst I'm guilty of not verifying my sources.

So please tell, how you knew about this? Assume you've seen the bit before.

I hadn’t seen it before. It just didn’t seem good enough for Douglas Adams, so I checked and the other guy came up on the first page of Google’s responses. It doesn’t matter particularly, but as I hold DA in high regard I was a bit disappointed by the attribution. It’s still funny.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 12:44   #1859

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
I hadn’t seen it before. It just didn’t seem good enough for Douglas Adams,

Apparently this guy did think it was good enough for Douglas Adams ...
http://mboard.douglasadams.com/cgi-bin/info/dnathread.cgi?2060,0

Quote:
Subject: Confused by the Confusing Country ( 1 of 26 )
Posted by Douglas Adams

Can anyone help with this?

A friend just emailed me a copy of an article about Australia called 'The Confusing Country' by - supposedly - Douglas Adams. It's very good, I enjoyed it a lot, it *sounds* quite like me - even to me - and I really wished I had written it. But I didn't. I then looked it up on Google and found it iterated all over the web, always attributed to me.

I didn't write it. Does anyone know who did?
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 12:52   #1860

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Nonetheless, skipmac,

Thanks for sharing.

Ann
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote