Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2008, 15:51   #1

sponsorship

hello everyone,
i'm a 23 yearold male thats dream is to sail around the world and am having troubles financially coming up with the money for the boat i'm trying to get before it sells. i just started a snowplowing business this winter (canada) and its starting to cost me more then i make. i'm not trying to give a sob story, just stating the fact that the 73 Bristol 30' in Nova Scotia or a 30' 67 Hinterhoeller redwing C&C in Victoria that i'm trying to get keeps looking further and farther away. I've started writting my book (first one) and expect it to be very well, i was just wondering if there was someone in a better situation then mine right now that could lend a hand for a little while. I'm not looking for a free hand-out here, i'm looking for someone who can purchase the boat untill i can come up with the money.
Thank you all for your time and i wish you the best of day,
Raz MacKenzie
Captain_Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 16:53   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Raz, Sounds like a great deal to me. We need a larger better equipped boat so maybe we can get somebody to buy one for us and we will pay them when we can afford it. Let me know who you find

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 17:02   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Raz;
Dreaming is cheap, reality costs a bit more.

Chris

PS - I don't think you will find the blind selflessness you seach for on this forum.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 17:31   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Try something really Novel--Get a job and save your money. Any job will do. Check the Salinas Vally at harvet--roughly 3x per year.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 17:45   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
There are two ways to cruise the world, one is to purchase a boat, the other is to crew for someone who already has a boat.

An able-bodied 23 year old who doesn't appear to have a drug problem should not have too much trouble finding a berth on a boat that needs hands, especially if you can sand teak, can tie a bowline and a cleat knot, and can stand watch without getting seasick. If you can varnish, you're gold.

Right now you probably think that what you really need in life is a Bristol 30'. Wrong. All you need a broken-in pair of topsiders and a haircut. The rest is easy.
Old 22-12-2008, 17:55   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We need money!

Please send cash (or cheque or gold nugets) to:

cash@ourlifeatsea.com

In return we will fly a flag with your company name or message: 1m x 2 m (thats 3 ft x 6 foots for you ol fashioned mob)

Thanks

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 18:30   #7

Boat: Beneteau 473
Raz,

The best thing you have going for you is that you are young.
I have spent a little bit of time looking into financing, the kind where someone gives you money for nothing to fulfill a sailing dream and that was for a very well known round the world race with a proven skipper. In North America you will find that's difficult to impossible.
What you are looking for is really going to be tuff considering the current world economic situation.
I assume you have exhausted every possibility within your family.
Any way don't get discouraged and keep chasing your dream. As I said you're young so there's always time and there will always be many many boats just like the ones you pining for now.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 19:45   #8

thanks for your sarcasm and help. both appreciated. i wasn't posting a blog for those who would like to try and ruin anothers day. but thank you to SilentOption and Bashful. those were the answers i was looking for and mainly appreciate. and apologize to those who feel i was looking for free money or for selflessness in others that you feel that way. and there are people like that out there. because one day i'm going to be able to be that selfless, i am right now with the little that i have. so sorry you've given up on people, i haven't. Thanks again
Raz MacKenzie
Old 23-12-2008, 02:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings, and WELCOME aboard, Raz.

Your dream is one we all share, and would encourage, in some manner; but your plan to achieve that dream may not appear fully realistic to all. I’m certain that those who took the time to analyze and comment on your plan, intended no personal criticism of your person (we don’t allow that sort of behaviour on CF). Such comments should be understood to be intended as a kind and loving warning.

I have neither the resources, nor inclination, to assist you in precisely the manner you ask, but might be able to offer some small help. If you are writing your book in English, I would be prepared to offer editorial advice.

Good luck, and best regards,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 06:20   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The plan has a few flaws. When you buy a boat the costs to maintain started the day before you paid for the boat and contiue at a break neck pace. Boats are just one the few things like race horses that don't do well with just sitting around and the upkeep is almost the same if used or not used. If you got someone to buy the boat they would have to pay to manitain it and insure it.

There are a many ways to sail and enjoy sailing. I think through exploration here you can find many of them. You need a plan that works. I would not be discouraged but thinking in different terms may help realize some good time on the water. It's more about doing it than how you do it and a way that works for your budget and time has to consider those limits or you never get to go. Small trailerable boats can go to some nice places. The great part of sailing is once you are aboard you are already there. It does not require being in a specific location or a large expensive boat.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 07:00   #11

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Cap'n Raz....

I'm a new boat owner. I grew up around boats. I never sailed. I'm 51. I've written three books, and so far, I'm STILL trying to get the publishers to even LOOK them over. haha

I bought a small boat, a 25 footer, very old -30 years old now, and paid 3000 for it. Then again, my wife and I have been saving money for a long time (we've been married 32 years this coming August, raised 5 children and have 11 grand children).

Both of us have jobs.

And both of us are planning to QUIT those jobs in about 3 years. Two more years to pay off some outstanding bills, sell our house and start looking for our boat (all in about 3 years).

By then, I hope to have sold MY books....

By then, we'll have several certifications....

By then, we will "break free" finally....

Keep the dream, and don't think of the folks' comments as sarcasm - they are not. If only we ALL had a rich uncle who would buy us the boat of our dreams, huh?

Rick

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 07:16   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Raz,

I would second Bashful's post about crewing. You will learn WAY more that way, and have a less stressful time, if you start by crewing on others boats. Get everything you own down to a duffel, and go! Ahhh, to be 23 again....

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 12:47   #13

Thank you all for your support. i'm going to have the money for the boat by the end of feb. i'm sure the boats wont sell before then. thank you for all the feedback, and advice, its all very helpful. i know it sounds weird but i have to go on this adventure by myself. i've been completely reconditioning myself lately so that i'm going to be able to help people/everyone one day and i have to expierance being complete alone with no way to reach out to anyone, and what better way then a trip around the world. it'll give me a chance to finish my second book. (or third by then) forgot about the children's book i have to go along with the first. and thank you for the help with the edditing GordMay, i have a very good edditor (i know my grammar is not completely perfect. haha) thanks again everyone!
Raz MacKenzie
Old 23-12-2008, 12:52   #14

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hey Raz! Merry Christmas man. Good luck with your adventure.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 12:53   #15

Pblais, i was only looking for someone to purchase it while it was winter stored. i was going to pay them back by the end of feb and then maintain it all myself. Race horses, funny you say that, i've been training racehorses since i was 16, its helped me travel around the world by land and plane. but thats about all the money it gives you to be able to move to the next racetrack. haha. so thats why i started the plowing business. it'll get me the remainding 12,000 i need. just need to fix my plow today :S thanks again!
Raz