Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 20:43   #61

Re: Smartphone Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
No - no easier at all really, and having them in I books means I can use book marks etc.

But honestly - I dont give a rats what anchor you use or phone you have. Just tell me the one I have is rubbish.
Yikes! Apologies. I like some aspects of all of the smartphone ecosystems. Did not mean to imply any one of them was crap. Everyone should choose the one which seems most intuitive to their own personal way of working.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 22:59   #62

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Ahem - dont want to get involved in the debate, but I can set my Iphone for auto answer.
Jailbroken iPhone?

I know one thing about iPhone apps, Apple will not let them touch the phone side of the device. Off Limits!

I checked again, no auto answer function except for jail broken phones that can purchase apps outside the Apple Store. $4.95 for an app called Auto Answer someplace called Cydia sells it. (If your phone is jail broken, whatever that is)
Old 29-09-2012, 23:11   #63

In about a week, when I change phones, one thing I will miss, is the literally thousands of case choices to safely wrap my new phone in. the iPhone has no end to accessories I can choose from third party vendors.

Choosing a new phone, one that is likely to have limited appeal and is more of a niche novelty, I seriously doubt many case companies are going to tool up and offer much to sell for my choice.

BLACK RUGGED HYBRID COVER CASE FOR LG INTUITION OPTIMUS VU VS950 VERIZON | eBay

Old 30-09-2012, 00:26   #64

For my job I have:

- lenovo w500 with windows 7
- asus transformer prime with android

Made sense to get an Android phone.

- Rugby Smart. It's quad band and I have a plan (including data, with a us#) for worldwide use. Hard to beat. Just need to be in range of a GSM tower which these days is pretty much anywhere lifeforms are operating.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 20:41   #65

Ordered cases today on eBay. Free freight from Hong Kong or somewhere far away seller, did not notice. Gone are the days when anything is made in the country that uses the item.

Will take 14 days for the cases to arrive, pick up the phones in about 10 days.

I ordered a pink silicone case for my wife, and a rugged 2 layer plastic under car rubber for mine. That will make a big cellphone even larger.
Old 30-09-2012, 21:07   #66

Got a Samsung Windows phone because it required zero dollars upfront. Turns out the interface is fantastic.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 22:02   #67

Cases came today. My case is double protective with a layer of plastic covered with a thick layer of rubber. Case is about the size of 4 cd clam shells stacked on one another. It does fit snugly in my scrub shirt pockets. A good thing.

I do not think this is a drive with one hand and text with the other cellphone. My wife might not like the size of these phones.
Old 05-10-2012, 22:09   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF
Got a Samsung Windows phone because it required zero dollars upfront. Turns out the interface is fantastic.
Samsung is the hot seller now in the cellphone market.

It was once Motorola, then Noeka, then iPhone, now Samsung. Funny how innovation comes so fast these days no one brand is the darling of the industry for long.

I think iPhone 4S was too much like iPhone 4 and now iPhone 5 seems to have done a minor redo again. With their maps fiasco, that will boost other companies looking for market share.

Drove three hours out of state Wednesday. Used my cellphone maps. What a cluster f&$k!

The iPhone official map now is by tomtom. Joke. Was way off on miles before turns. Missed several turns.

Tried to use google maps through the browser and it seemed the iPhone was putting a kabash an that. Would not load.

Finally relied on the tomtom official map app but stopped looking at mileage to turn and looked for highway names.
Old 06-10-2012, 00:31   #69

I switched from a 3gs to an LG optimus. admittedly not the bleeding edge but I have to tell you I F*ing hate the thing.

I had 3 phones bricked in the first week of use.

my current one locks up at least twice a week. Reminds me of the BSOD on Windows 3 for god's sake!

I cannot pull it out of a pocket when it rings without activating and often selecting an 'excuse message'

in texting it's obscenely easy to switch into spanish. consequently my phone auto corrects what I type into espanol about 1/2 the time.

In the middle of a call, it will sometimes go to the home screen and then it's slow to respond to try and get back.

IF you can get back, it will sometimes lock up and not let you enter a numeric selection until the CPU catches up, by which time the voicemail or menu you are trying to use has already hung up on you.

It likes to go into airplane mode all by itself about twice a week, and the ringer gets disable about as often as well.

it's loaded with bloatware you can't get rid of.

You constantly have to clear cache's and manually move apps to the memory card

So it's always full and out of space.

At which point it just stops working, but it's very vague about why. So you have to go through EACH app to clear it's Cache individually.

I could go on, but I'm not at all impressed with android.

but...

it's $45 a month WITH tethering.. so um...
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:45   #70

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I switched from a 3gs to an LG optimus. admittedly not the bleeding edge but I have to tell you I F*ing hate the thing.

I could go on, but I'm not at all impressed with android.

but...

it's $45 a month WITH tethering.. so um...
Love it you bought a cheeep excuse for a phone so you blame android

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:54   #71

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

xymotic -- you might want to try rooting and flashing a Cyanogenmod ROM. It'll get rid of all the bloatware and probably improve your phone's functionality significantly.

Android itself is a very good OS. Sometimes though the phone companies don't get it to mesh right with a phone's hardware. Then these blessed developers/hackers come along and do all the tinkering for us for free.

Rooting and flashing a ROM might sound a bit scary but if you read around on the web a bit, you can probably find good clear directions. Takes maybe 10-20 minutes all told.

I did it for my daughter's LG Ally and it turns a crap phone into something fast and useful.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:32   #72

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo;
I do not think this is a drive with one hand and text with the other cellphone. My wife might not like the size of these phones.
I hope this was a joke. Texting while driving is just plain stupid.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix

I hope this was a joke. Texting while driving is just plain stupid.
I wish I were kidding. She is also someone that can't do 2 things at once. It is mostly 4 lane country highways with no traffic but lots of deer on the roads.

Foolish, stupid, dumb, lame, irresponsible, childish, reckless and on and on.

I hope she reforms.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:08   #74

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I wish I were kidding. She is also someone that can't do 2 things at once. It is mostly 4 lane country highways with no traffic but lots of deer on the roads.

Foolish, stupid, dumb, lame, irresponsible, childish, reckless and on and on.

I hope she reforms.
When she tags me I will get to retire.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2012, 22:03   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Love it you bought a cheeep excuse for a phone so you blame android
Yup. It's the OS. When it runs out of memory, and offers you no clue as to how to fix it, that's poor programming. When it decides to switch to spanish because Google decided that changing language should be one click 'easy' that's a poor interface decision. And lastly, if it's a 'cheap' phone then they should have probably set some min requirements and made sure their licensees met a minimum standard.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote