Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 12:21   #91

Re: Smartphone Wars

ALL my phones are and will continue to be dumb phones..Just a phone thank you very much...Nobody I know can understand that as I am an EE, and as such I should just HAVE TO HAVE ONE!! No I don't. For me I'm still tickled pink that I don't have to find a pay phone!! I watch folks on their smart phones, head down and thumbs pushing and I just don't want to join that group of folks.. I still use map, paper not google!! I can navigate anywhere I want to go with a paper chart, compass, binocs, sextant...I do have and love my gps chart plotter, BUT only because I'm NOT dependent on it... somehow that makes me feel a tad more in control of my life..

I read the other day about the newest problem facing humans... Connection anxiety...seems some folks tend to get all bent out of shape when they can't get connected...

How many folks cruise from WIFI spot to WIFI spot?? Sad

Old geezer rant is over....I do feel better now...

I'm at work typing with 52 days 2.75 hours from retirement and I can't wait to sail away from all the smart phone/internet crap... I'll be searching coves and anchorages that have absolutely no phone or WIFI signals available. Are there any left?? I'll find them and I'll have them all to myself....Ah peace and quite...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50   #92

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
ALL my phones are and will continue to be dumb phones..Just a phone thank you very much...Nobody I know can understand that as I am an EE, and as such I should just HAVE TO HAVE ONE!! No I don't. For me I'm still tickled pink that I don't have to find a pay phone!! I watch folks on their smart phones, head down and thumbs pushing and I just don't want to join that group of folks.. I still use map, paper not google!! I can navigate anywhere I want to go with a paper chart, compass, binocs, sextant...I do have and love my gps chart plotter, BUT only because I'm NOT dependent on it... somehow that makes me feel a tad more in control of my life..

I read the other day about the newest problem facing humans... Connection anxiety...seems some folks tend to get all bent out of shape when they can't get connected...

How many folks cruise from WIFI spot to WIFI spot?? Sad

Old geezer rant is over....I do feel better now...

I'm at work typing with 52 days 2.75 hours from retirement and I can't wait to sail away from all the smart phone/internet crap... I'll be searching coves and anchorages that have absolutely no phone or WIFI signals available. Are there any left?? I'll find them and I'll have them all to myself....Ah peace and quite...
Enjoy retirement!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:51   #93

Where is the dollar sign on an android?
Old 10-10-2012, 16:28   #94

Not on the main keyboard or the 2nd but on a third keyboard toggle. Guess so few $$$ are floating around these days they figure no one will use it.

Some ways I miss the simplicity and ease of the iPhone.
Old 10-10-2012, 17:08   #95

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Which android do you have? Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich?

On my Droid 3 (Gingerbread) it's on the 2nd toggle, along with all the numbers and symbols. Or, on the Droid's hard keyboard, as Alt-E.

You might want to try Swype or one of the other alternative keyboards, like Swiftkey. I know on Swype each letter key has secondary and tertiary properties depending on whether you press / press and hold / press and long hold. So $ would be "S"-hold. Some people get lightning fast at this.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:50   #96

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Which android do you have? Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich?

On my Droid 3 (Gingerbread) it's on the 2nd toggle, along with all the numbers and symbols. Or, on the Droid's hard keyboard, as Alt-E.

You might want to try Swype or one of the other alternative keyboards, like Swiftkey. I know on Swype each letter key has secondary and tertiary properties depending on whether you press / press and hold / press and long hold. So $ would be "S"-hold. Some people get lightning fast at this.
Swype is one of my favourite things about my droid phone. $ is on the S key, press and hold (or go to the symbols and numbers keyboard)
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 22:15   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

A friend of mine just took his iPhone 5 back. Said it wasn't worth $1,000.00 bucks. I nearly fell off my chair when he said that.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:18   #98

Just reread all the posts.

Interesting how life pushes us along.

My wife seems to like her new phone.

I am having iPhone withdrawal. Lol

I am contemplating switching back.

I remember years ago I had a ford f-350, pretty modified and customized. I got to looking at hummers in traffic and went out and purchased one.

Had it 4 months. Stuck wads of money in the thing trying to make myself like it. Pretty much hated it. Walked into a ford dealer and purchased another pickup.

Had to modify accessorize the truck to be better than the one I had. Had 22.5 semi wheels (no small mod running semi wheels on a pickup) new truck I went with 24.5 semi wheels.

That four months cost me an arm and a leg, and many a sleepless night trying to figure out what to do next. I was miserable till I switched back. All the money lost was nothing compared to driving that piece of hummer junk for years. Lol

The cellphone is not exactly the same deal. No sleep lost. No panic attacks wanting my old phone back. Yet some of the same issues of decisions and acceptance are in play.

What to do?????

This post was done on the new phone. Larger keyboard, larger screen.

Still, it kind of feels like I am driving a hummer.

The app for this site is way cooler on an iPhone. Maybe that is my cold feet. Lol. The avatars of the paying members show blank.on this app. Maybe to large to show? Other graphics show clunky as well. Photos posted by members show up much nicer on the iPhone.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:59   #99

I'm getting a Jitterbug !!
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:44   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAtSea2011
I'm getting a Jitterbug !!
Sign us both up! Lol
Old 15-10-2012, 00:43   #101

Today a German web site released prices on 16 models of the soon to be released iPad Mini. The device is shown to have 8 models with cellphones in them. 7.8" screen that also has a cellphone. Doubt that is going to fit in very many men's pockets.

Price for the 64gb cellphone is reported to be $848.00 USA.

While it sounds interesting, my new 5" screen is big enough.

Click image for larger version

Name:	article-2193725-14B1FDFE000005DC-703_634x393.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	48324
Old 25-11-2012, 23:01   #102

Update after a month on the new smartphone. I have gotten over the iPhone. This phone does more, does it faster, with a larger screen that still fits in my pocket.

There is a wOw factor with this phone. Use it around other people, and they go wOw. Lol. The size makes people ask questions about it.

Finally settled on a cover I like, my third one. Slim, and fits inside waterproof covers for sailing.

Found an app that gives a compass heading and the speed in knots, and with my new pedestal guard for my Edson helm, I will like the large display on my natucal dash. On a small lake, no need for charts and such, but toys are always good. The speed app means I can always sail against myself.

Great apps on the iPhone, better ones really, but the screen is so tiny by comparison. Much happier with the 5" screen.