Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2010, 13:32   #76

I have the ultimate survival boat. A Hobie Wave. Not one single electronic system to be affected by EMP, the head works all the time, two rudders and only one crew member.

Jet engines suck in the airborne glass, it melts then hardens in the aft of the engines where it stops the engines. The ash also pits the windscreens so pilots can't see out to crash land since the engines quit.
Old 17-04-2010, 13:46   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Well, there is still nothing flying over southern England this evening. This isn't good and with high pressure sat over NW Europe at the moment it isn't changing quickly either.

Pete
Old 17-04-2010, 14:57   #78

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
pirate disaster

A disaster can be personal, it does not need to be some world wide calamity. One of the main reasons I got a new larger boat that is more weather capable, is that in the past I have lived aboard when things got tough. Perhaps it is telling that I look back on those times as excellent adventures with happy endings. The better the boat is prepared the more fun I am going to have. Bring it on.

Todd
Old 17-04-2010, 15:08   #79
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
Unfortunatly, due to the self censorship we are not getting the full story of why the Icelandic volcanoe blew... It is a byproduct of all the secret UN troops stationed there with their dark helicopters, and a prelude to the capsizing of Iceland. I guess one could call the troops immigrants.

A Congressman who is aware of these things was just grilling the American forces about this problem in a recent hearing....

Cheers, I suspected as much They don't call that Volcano "Alien Mountain" for nothing - the truth is never straightforward. At least not on the internet
Old 17-04-2010, 15:33   #80

Boat: a sailing boat
In Martinique sailors say that the best way to sail to Barbados is by Air France. Now it looks like the best way to fly from Paris to London is by boat.

Argh, volanoes .... you just can't trust them!

b.
Old 17-04-2010, 17:47   #81

Boat: Riviera 35
Volcanoes are good for us. They are part of the World's natural balancing act. All that ash in the air provides a natural screen to stop utra violet rays and as such diminishes global warming.

So, we can all stop worrying about Global Warming. OK?

Personally, living in a Flood Zone 3a designated area (which means we will be under 2 metres (6ft 8") of water in the event of the 1 in 46 year flood predicted (which will in turn make me dead), means that having a boat, allows me to live without giving a tuppeny F***about global warning or flooding. They say we will get a six hour warning. That'll do me fine. It will be just the excuse I need to leave work and clear off cruising. I didn't buy the boat specifically for that purpose, but have included items of kit on it that will help. De-salinator, bigger fuel tanks, etc etc. And it's fun thing to plan the getaway. Roll on the end...
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
Old 17-04-2010, 18:34   #82

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr
Sailboat for "when the s... hits the fan

Hey, I know when the world will end!! When I die! Enjoy reading your posts.....
Old 17-04-2010, 19:24   #83

Boat: Clark, San Juan, 26
If you sail off into the sea during times of crisis, do you think you will be able to out run all the bad guys in your sail boat???
Old 19-04-2010, 14:25   #84

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
Eventually, the bad guys will run out of gas, whereas we won't run out of wind...except if they find an old super tanker...a la Waterworld.
Old 19-04-2010, 15:12   #85

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Remember what the Romans used to say.........."%#*k me, this'll last forever"
I had no idea you were that old, David OLD Jersey... Maybe I've finally found somebody I can speak all that Latin my Mother made me take in school with...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 19-04-2010, 16:55   #86

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightShadow View Post
Volcanoes are good for us. They are part of the World's natural balancing act. All that ash in the air provides a natural screen to stop utra violet rays (...)
And you are telling this now that I have just spent big bucks on my new super-duper Polaroid shades ... Man, that's just not fair!

;-)))
b.
Old 19-04-2010, 18:10   #87
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I do believe the S*** has already hit the Fan and we have all just gotten used to the smell…. Darwin.101

Meanwhile any boat will do if it rewards you with a broader perspective as you search the horizons ... ...
Old 27-04-2010, 07:03   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I do believe the S*** has already hit the Fan and we have all just gotten used to the smell…. Darwin.101
Yes, as the frogs boil. My Father used to take my places and say "I just wanted you to see this before it is all gone." That made me very sensitive to change. Now, as I approach 60 myself, I see change everywhere. And I very much believe that the S!$# HAS hit the fan. For proof just look at our diet, we eat further and further down the food chain all the time. Of course for youngsters (anyone younger than me - which is most out there) this is all normal. It is all a matter of perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Meanwhile any boat will do if it rewards you with a broader perspective as you search the horizons ... ...
Spoken by someone with a 65 foot schooner! But I do agree. We just bought a 44' Alan Pape cutter as our bug out boat. In the event we need to clear out we can. In the event we don't have to well then we can still enjoy the boat. We think of it as insurance you can play with. So it is a classic win/win situation. Few of them around.

Now, if we can just get the damn engine to run...................
Old 27-04-2010, 09:38   #89

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Used to have a 38' Alan Pape cutter - great boat! You will enjoy your getway in comfort.
Old 28-04-2010, 17:58   #90

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
Always good to have your own little space ship...
Closed Thread

Tags
sailboat