Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 15:31   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Raking leaves......arrrg

Be happy you have grass to cut and leaves to rake, otherwise you could be anchored someplace on your small boat with absolutely nothing to do unless you are the type of cruiser that will actually cruise.......as in crossing oceans etc

Lots of folks simply motor sail the ICW which can get boring really fast.....
Old 11-02-2018, 15:47   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Is this a joke thread , and I missed it, or has no one noticed the irony of sailors saying that mowing a yard is a waste of time?

EVERYTHING we do is a waste of time, plus it costs more to maintain than a lawn.

I'm just as guilty, but I recognize the irony.
Old 11-02-2018, 16:01   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

Lots of folks simply motor sail the ICW which can get boring really fast.....

I’ll take that day motoring down the ICW as opposed to a day at work, anytime.
Old 11-02-2018, 16:07   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’ll take that day motoring down the ICW as opposed to a day at work, anytime.
Well, I guess if motoring the ICW is new to you that might workout but I've seen so many folks motoring the ICW when I was in Pensacola doing my afternoon run and they looked quite bored

The Naval Station in Pensacola is located on prime real estate and the running course is right by the ICW and Pensacola Pass........ so I got to witness this quite a bit while running and sailing passed the cruisers

I like the fact that I could work, sail the ICW (back then it was on beach cats), and get in a few runs and long bike rides for a total workout while also having the beach and city of Pensacola to enjoy.

I guess if you don't like too much happening in your life simply motoring the ICW may work for you.....
Old 12-02-2018, 11:14   #20

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

As the saying goes - a bad day on the water is better than a good day at work. Or substitute whatever works for you.

For some people, simply motoring down the ICW is living. To me, being out on the water in just about anything is good. Kayak, paddleboard, jon boat, sailboat. Heck even a innertube if I'm floating down the Ichetucknee ! Sitting on just about any beach is relaxing. Or walking it. Or running it, biking it, whatever it !

Some people live simply, and some people simply live. As long as it makes one happy and content, what is there to argue about ? Why look down on someone's lifestyle simply because its not your own ?

Out on the ocean I would imagine the water in front of you will start looking like water around you which will look like the water that is behind you. Some like it and some don't. Some go and some stay. Some sail and some motor. It's all good.

As that other saying goes - different strokes for different folks.

Doesn't make one better than the other. Just different.

And that's a good thing !

Old 13-02-2018, 06:24   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have someone mow my under hull yard monthly to every 6 weeks.
as i live on my boat, nothing i do is a waste of time.
if something is deemed a waste of time, cease doing that and create a positivity for self. get out of your rut. hahaha and you label me as negative. perfect use of the game tool known as projection.
i find every cent i put into my boat comes back to me tenfold as i am still above water
and able to relocate to a dream locale from yet another dream locale.
carnaval here is one of top 3 in planet, now, and currently occurring. being here in a boat means one can view the fireworks up close on water instead of from inside a heavy crowd.
cannot say same about a house.
to me the waste of time is raking leaves. and you all are composting your poop--why not compost those leaves with your poop, the dogs poop, cats poop, all the chikkin poop and leaves and straw so you can grow veggies and fruits. remember there are starving children in india....and pakistan and the other places momma told us children are starving so we would eat our veggies.
Old 13-02-2018, 06:49   #22

Boat: PSC Orion 27

When deciding how much I needed in order to retire, I spent a lot of time deciding what was important to me, what I liked, what I didn't like. I came up with four rules for retirement. These came after returning from Hawaii or Mexico to Alberta and B.C., you know, that moment in the airport where you switch from tevas to boots;

1: never mow a lawn.
2: never shovel a driveway.
3: never wear long pants.
4: never wear socks.

Then it was just a matter of how to accomplish these things. Living on a boat in between tropics of Cancer and Capricorn pretty much works.
Cheap enough that I could retire at 55. Might be a little too simple for most people, but I've been accused of being simple many times. ;^)

goat
Old 13-02-2018, 07:16   #23

I think it depends on your experiences.

When I first got to Pensacola, FL in the 1990's (and happened to be a Beach Cat racer from Tennessee), I was thinking that I was finally in Paradise and would never wish for anything else or want to do anything else but be on the water sailing or racing (or hanging out at the beach bars etc having a few beverages)

I was in my late 30's when I arrived.

This lasted about 10 years before I decided to mix in cycling. Then cycling took the place of sailing. Cycling (100 to 175 miles/week) in a peloton with triathletes and bike racers was just the best so I sold my last two high tech beach cats and bought a used Litespeed Vortex Titanium Bike for $3,300.00 (to replace my old Trek)

Then there was a job change and I was relocated back up here. Fall and Winter again were quite enjoyable

Then because I was also on the water, water that could quickly turn ugly, I started thinking sailing again and stumbled upon an old Bristol 27 while relaxing in the country after a bike ride/run combination

While in Florida, I always hung out with the full keel cruising crowd at my apartment's Dock and these old characters where continually talking up their boats.......it was enjoyable listening to them and their stories

The point is that sometimes paradise gets old and new adventures are needed.

Maybe that means sailing North or taking a break form sailing. There's usually no end all that's perfect forever for everyone.....

Lots of the retires though that I spoke to in Florida back then that had just recently begun cruising did seem to be enjoying what they were doing except for the heat. In Summer, many stayed onboard at a marina in the A/C while we raced........in mid summer.

One thing the old full keel crowd always mentioned was that one of the hardest things to do was to unhook from the dock and head back out to sea......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitchell on the Farm Road.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	164046  
Old 13-02-2018, 07:30   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Front garden isn't very big so last summer 2 tonnes of Welsh slate chippings went down and that is the end of the grass and the flower borders were next doors cat used to crap.

The grass in the back garden is under notice, making more time to go sailing.

I watched my father toil cutting the grass every Sunday for most of his adult life, I don't want that.

Pete
Old 13-02-2018, 10:51   #25

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

1: never mow a lawn.
2: never shovel a driveway.
3: never wear long pants.
4: never wear socks.

Man now that's a set of rules I can live by !

Someone should start a new thread with this as the topic.

Ok ok, I'll do it !

Look for "Boating rules to live by"

Post your comments. Should be interesting.
Old 13-02-2018, 14:19   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yeah, I wore socks today, thought I was in for some walking and if I walk far in flip flops it gets my knees hurting so on went the “Boat” shoes and I wore socks to keep my feet from stinking.
Talked the wife into riding the URB-E’s so I didn’t end up walking
Old 18-02-2018, 15:29   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
As I take a break from raking the leaves from lawn yet again, I am reminded of just how much I don't like lawn care. Where did we ever get the idea that the grounds outside our homes should somehow be manicured ? Every time I get out the mower and endeavor to get all 7 species of grass and 21 types of weed exactly the same height I can't help but feel slightly ridiculous. "This is insane !" I think to myself. "What a silly way to spend so much of my time and income."

It reminds me of ties. I don't like ties either. Fortunately I almost never have to wear one. But where did the modern tie come from ? Who ever thought it would be a good idea to button up a shirt snugly around your neck and then wrap a piece of cloth around that ? I can understand a scarf for protection from the cold. But a tie ? Nope. Sorry, but I don't get it.

I know, I know, clothes make and all that. I'm sure ladies would say a guy in an Armani suit is pretty hot. And I don't mind collars per se. But can we just move on from ties ?

And mowing and raking lawns ?

I so want to be a liveaboard again !!
Lol this past summer was our first summer with a sailboat of our own. Needless to say hard work slipped down the priorities list. My neighbor actually texted me at one point to ask if my lawn mower was broken.
Closed Thread