Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2021, 14:43   #16

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Oh dear, what happened to the joke thread?

Thank you, mods, for all the time you're putting into this.

Personally, I'd like to see the return of a "real" joke thread. I've got a thick skin. I'm not easily insulted. I know how to skip over jokes I don't find funny.

But I wouldn't mind seeing fewer partisan jabs - from either side.
Old 06-05-2021, 16:28   #17

Boat: Southcoast 36

Good grief!

Regular visitor to the joke thread. Some great stuff there. Has given many a laugh or smile. Has given to many others also outside of this forum well. I often have used items from there as a "funny" to pass on to friends, family and coworkers. Im sure I'm not the only one. Guess how things go "viral." What a small spark of welcome relief.

Like every other thread, if I started to read something that wasn't a joke, was a gripe about a joke, or wasn't interesting to me, I just...stopped....reading.

It was not difficult to discern that jokes from certain posters or certain series of cartoons posted were not funny to me. So...I...skipped...them.

If it was to descend into a den of poor taste or vulgarity that was not to my taste, I...wouldn't...open...it.

No one compels you to get get upset over some unknown person somewhere in the world typing something you don't agree with or like. Thats your choice.

Just like it is my choice to type this post. Read it. Agree with it. Object to it. Disparage it. Flame it. I...don't...care. If I want to engage, react or respond to any of those responses that is my choice.

It's just an internet forum.

Grow up folks.
Old 06-05-2021, 17:19   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Oh dear, what happened to the joke thread?

Nyaaahhhh.!!!
Don wanna..!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	237861  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-05-2021, 17:21   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Is toothpaste an acceptable subject for CF?
Nope, there aren't enough shades - it's all about whitening and sensitivity...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 06-05-2021, 17:24   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

toothpaste is offensive to those with teeth and/no tooth
Old 06-05-2021, 17:28   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winf View Post
Good grief!

Regular visitor to the joke thread. Some great stuff there. Has given many a laugh or smile. Has given to many others also outside of this forum well. I often have used items from there as a "funny" to pass on to friends, family and coworkers. Im sure I'm not the only one. Guess how things go "viral." What a small spark of welcome relief.

Like every other thread, if I started to read something that wasn't a joke, was a gripe about a joke, or wasn't interesting to me, I just...stopped....reading.

It was not difficult to discern that jokes from certain posters or certain series of cartoons posted were not funny to me. So...I...skipped...them.

If it was to descend into a den of poor taste or vulgarity that was not to my taste, I...wouldn't...open...it.

No one compels you to get get upset over some unknown person somewhere in the world typing something you don't agree with or like. Thats your choice.

Just like it is my choice to type this post. Read it. Agree with it. Object to it. Disparage it. Flame it. I...don't...care. If I want to engage, react or respond to any of those responses that is my choice.

Grow up folks.
All true. But the issue is shall CF have rules or not, and should those rules apply equally everywhere? It may be your choice to post something but if it doesn't follow the rules, and it is in the joke thread, what should be done?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 06-05-2021, 17:37   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Some jokesters have more front than a rodent with gold teeth...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 06-05-2021, 17:51   #23
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Some jokesters have more front than a rodent with gold teeth...
those exist where you are
Old 06-05-2021, 17:54   #24

Boat: Columbia 50

Sad - I had it subscribed, and despite the devolutions into politics, recoiled rifle discussions, complaint about not seeing the images, etc, it Still always had some gold in there.

I say the show must go on! We need the new new joke thread.......

Matt
Old 06-05-2021, 17:55   #25

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

https://www.wsj.com/articles/from-a-...th-11573650210
Old 07-05-2021, 01:23   #26

Thanks, Boatie.

In honour of boatwork season here in the Northern hemisphere, additional use of a sailing harness...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ff90125255cacddb5ae4777740dfa599.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	237871  
Old 07-05-2021, 03:45   #27

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Capt Tom has just about nailed it.

Well, guys, the issue is under discussion. Has been, for days, and it is ongoing.
I am a regular reader of the Joke Thread, and it had been (note, use of past tense) popular. It also drew a lot of complaints. Furthermore, if the rules are to be changed, or the existing ones enforced they would take some very smart defining, relative to what is too much. I'd like to thank Capt Tom for explaining the dilemma so well. A rule has to be easily understood and followed, and therefore, very clearly written. The partisans seem to be unwilling to accept ir ignore jokes that offend them. For a bunch of volunteer moderators, the abovementioned "firestorm of bickering" is just about right.

Moderation, to work, requires the cooperation of people who are moderated, and it has been seeming as if some folks were bringing civil disobedience to the forum as a policy.

I have no idea at this point how long the discussion will go on or if we will ever have a joke thread again here.

Ann
My two cents, for what its worth.

If the Moderators are willing, I personally trust their judgement, let them simply delete the jokes they feel cross that line.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:05   #28

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winf View Post
Good grief!

Grow up folks.

Name:	IMG-20191106-WA0002.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	237873

cheers,
Old 07-05-2021, 07:02   #29

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
My two cents, for what its worth.

If the Moderators are willing, I personally trust their judgement, let them simply delete the jokes they feel cross that line.
well.... some of us have day jobs too! How about everyone just NOT post the jokes and "jokes" they are pretty sure we will have to hunt out and delete?
I'd much rather be discussing the superiority of my keel and anchor!
We could ditch all the rules but there's already an anarchy site, we wouldn't want to compete with them.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 07-05-2021, 07:47   #30
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
We could ditch all the rules but there's already an anarchy site, we wouldn't want to compete with them.
wouldn't stand a chance