Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2011, 12:24   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Lose Weight ! See All the World ! Go Crazy ! Sail Solo !

Recently I have had a few gunk holing trips were I have sailed solo. Across straits, through islands and on through both day and night. After going into a few foreign ports and lands I have a few observations:
1. Loose weight! Yessir, I drop about 2-3 lbs a day when doing this. No time for getting other than a quick snack from the galley when you could be dropped by a tanker or run into a piece of rock. The sun dehydrates you during the day and the cold wind zaps your strength at night. Shivering uses a ton of calories and your caloric reserves are quickly gone as you force yourself to get up after 10 minutes of sleep. Why only 10 minutes? Because the closest rock is 1 mile away and I am going 4 knots an hour....
And I haven't even talked about my manual winches and cleats for holding my lines. Its amazing I didn't loose more weight.
2. See all the World! I know every detail of the islands and rocks I pass. What they look like from 5 miles, 2 miles, abreast and 1 mile past. There isn't a detail on the water I do not worrily observe. And the crab pots!! May they be gone next time I come through here! And every cloud, every far off bolt of lighting and sudden shift of wind sends alarm bells all up and down my spine. Yes, when you sail solo you really see the whole world!
3.Go Crazy! although it takes more time to set in, I can assure you of your freedom of reason and sanity. I did not notice it had taken effect with me until I tried to talk with Canadian Customs. Only after they threatened to impound my boat and test me for alcohol did I recognize my slurred speech and loose associations in my sentence patterns. This is perhaps the ultimate vacation- a break from time and space as we know it. I just hope you don't get to this point until you are a few miles offshore...
So this my friends, is what they don't tell you about soloing.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 12:46   #2

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Lose Weight! See all the World! Go Crazy! Sail Solo!

Where were you sailing ?
Old 13-09-2011, 12:51   #3

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Lose Weight! See all the World! Go Crazy! Sail Solo!

We need to make certain the you and Del are not out at the same time....It would require a notice to mariners. Two exhausted single handers navigating the same waters at the same time.

Likely it was not you sluring, it was the Utah accent and the customs agent was sluring.... Sounds like you had a great time. I am almost caught up on winter prep and will likely join you guys soon. THAT will require a notice to mariners.

Lastly, I have one of those hats too and it always generates suspicion.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 13:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Lose Weight ! See all the World ! Go Crazy ! Sail Solo !

My most recent trip was from bellingham washington to sidney bc. So that is what NOTAMs are for I always thought they were about crab pots. The hat picture was taken with my first mate. He always talks about papa's boat.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 05:52   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Re: Lose Weight ! See All the World ! Go Crazy ! Sail Solo !

I took a month going from S.F. to Cabo. I made prepared dishes, and ate out of the pans. Ate a lot of celery, and peanut butter to fill the voids. Lost 20lbs in that month, and my stamina grew. After a couple of days of silence. I began to advise myself to reef the main, change the headsail, time for a fix, and the list goes on. I don't remember answering myself though.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail