Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 06:46   #181

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Waterworld still sucks

My title says it all. But back to basics. Did TPI make a Lagoon 47? I thought the 35, 37, and 42 were the only TPI boats. Just wondering. BOB
Old 02-06-2011, 06:47   #182
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Waterworld still sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
My title says it all. But back to basics. Did TPI make a Lagoon 47? I thought the 35, 37, and 42 were the only TPI boats. Just wondering. BOB
1993 Jeanneau Lagoon Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 02-06-2011, 07:01   #183

Re: Looking for Advice on First Large Ship

Scoob, Am I missing something? I looked at the boat and couldn't find a TPI reference. Pretty boat, though. BOB
Old 02-06-2011, 07:13   #184
cruiser

i could be misinformed, i have been calling all of the slope roof lagoons tpi.
those 47's are nice, and in my price range. they seem to be well equipped.
more so then the ones out of charter, they are bare.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:29   #185

Lagoons

Scoob, The way I understand it Lagoon went to the vertical window style somewhere around the year 2000 depending on the model. Before that they were all slope style. I suspect that the French made boats mostly outnumbered the US made boats for any given year when you look at the entire production run for the year. I beleive that most people would agree that the TPI boats were one of their best. BOB
Old 02-06-2011, 07:29   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i have seen water world no less then 20 times. i think that makes me a sailing expert..... and tgzzzz, eat my shorts.
Let's hope you learned how to "fish" too.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:37   #187
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for Advice on First Large Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Let's hope you learned how to "fish" too.
Also put a whole new slant on the Brit expression "He's on the piss"....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:37   #188

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Boat Profile Tells All

Quote:
never saw it, why don't you have your boat profile filled out?
I figured you were joking about Waterworld. Not even Costner could watch it more than once or twice.

I've complied with your inquiry. The actual "reason" was simply that I don't know what to call my boat anymore. Now that is has standup headroom, it doesn't appear like the flush deck/popup racer/cruiser it once was. The additions of a real head and surrounding enclosure with holding tank and associated valving, 30 amp 12v/120v electrical system, Yanmar 12hp deisel engine and 21 gal tankage, 100 gal of pressurized water, conversion to roller furler and J29 full batten main, big sheet winches, Awlgrip paint on deck and topsides, epoxy barrier coat bottom, more electronics than I need (but no red buttons), and so forth combine so that calling it a 40 yr old Cal 25 doesn't do it justice IMO. In many ways, it's actually better than new.

I have owned a dozen or so small wooden and glass boats to 30' (including 3 Cal boats) and built a Wharram cat, and a Hartley tri and at least 6 dinghies. I inhale WEST system as a recreational drug. I have lived aboard one boat or another for more than 20 years in So.Florida and surrounds.

I'm a small boat guy because I'm a singlehander by choice. The current boat isn't perfect, and I'm changing a few things, and considering changing the rig entirely, but it is essentially set up very well for a solo sailor. Several have been around the world, altho that isn't my intention.
And here comes the best thing: I paid $650 bucks for it on Ebay. I was the only bidder. No bank loan needed.

If you are a legitimate newbie, I may well owe you an apology, and it won't be my first. The mods keep a watchful eye on me for obvious reasons. You've had a ton of good advice on this thread because most CF members are just so darn nice and patient. But reread Skipmac's guidelines. If you had come to the fray with some actual knowledge you would have been treated far differently and could have avoided the silly stuff.

Nobody on here cares how much dough you have or can borrow, and I'm sure there are many on here who have more. I don't need to know who they are as it doesn't affect me in the least. The best advice you're going to get is buy a cheap small boat and really learn how to sail. Don't go into debt.

Can I afford more boat than I have? Yes sir.

What would I buy if finances didn't matter? A Newick tri. Fast is fun.

Would I like to have a Lagoon 47? Oh hell yes!

Can I sail it by myself as a liveaboard cruiser? Hell no.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:43   #189

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

I've seen Captain Ron and Titanic, think that makes me an expert in all fields then......

A quote from Captain Ron, "don't worry, if anythings going to happen, it'll happen out there, right?"
Old 02-06-2011, 08:53   #190

Boat: private yacht always moving

If you want to know about working on ships and the ocean the best training film is "Down Periscope"
Old 02-06-2011, 09:28   #191
cruiser

Re: Boat Profile Tells All

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
I figured you were joking about Waterworld. Not even Costner could watch it more than once or twice.
i have seen master and commander about 15 times.
but i enjoy the cult movies,
waterworld,
mad max,
donnie darko,
porco rosso,
master and commander,
blade runner.

your right, i knew nothing when i first came here. and i try my best to weed thru the ******** responses.
i had given this years of very intelligent thought as to what the best boat would be, and not having experience, i came to the realization that a 85' steel expedition cruiser would be best. i was then informed i would not be permitted entry to many countries with a boat that large single handed.
i have been a very firm believer that the best boats are steel, and aluminum. i have always wanted to do the northern passage, and i understand it can be done by fiberglass... but i dont think i would try it.

now the debt issue.
i have been told by a few very smart people to get what i can pay cash for. however, a spindrift is not my kind of boat. i need room. i need comfort. i need an easy boat. i don't like cramped spaces for everyday living.
sure there are some people here who make more then i do, probably 10 fold what i do in few cases, but that does not concern me, as i have never known the feeling of jealousy. i have always believed what i have is the best that can be had, it might be ignorant, but it keeps me happy. i am very blessed by God.

the boats i am looking at are all in the 40's and i dont think i would feel safe in 25' seas in anything smaller. the dogs need room to run, and a place to sleep, try that in a 25' mono, they would have rickets in no time.
(i should mention at this point i have no medical knowledge what so ever.)

i think i could be happy in a tpi 42, but for the same price i can get a 410. and in the next 5 years i will upgrade to a 440. they need to drop in price a bit.

good on you in your $650 boat. i would make a bet it was not ready to circumnavigate when you got it. and if i ever run into you in a anchorage i will buy you a lemonade for your insight. lets hope i dont come in upside down.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:02   #192

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Boat Profile Tells All

Quote:
good on you in your $650 boat. i would make a bet it was not ready to circumnavigate when you got it. and if i ever run into you in a anchorage i will buy you a lemonade for your insight. lets hope i dont come in upside down.
No hard feelings then.

The point of my long historical tale was that the boat came as described for the $650. That's a prime example of what you can do these days of tough economic times if you know a little about what you're looking for and at. It came out of the Chesapeake, a sailing mecca, but I assume potential buyers were put off by all the drastic changes. Plus everyone wants bigger and bigger boats except me. I felt sick for the previous owner but he was a real sport about it. He had to leave the country and ran out of time.

Personally, based on your stated experience and needs, I'd be looking for a 40+ foot trawler with single diesel and bow thrusters. Big, roomy, reliable, and single-handable.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:08   #193
cruiser

Re: Boat Profile Tells All

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Personally, based on your stated experience and needs, I'd be looking for a 40+ foot trawler with single diesel and bow thrusters. Big, roomy, reliable, and single-handable.
like the nordhavn 40? too expensive.
defever does not have enough range.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:45   #194

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Very entertaining thread, Scoobert... I owned a DeFever 54, twin Cat D330's, 2 gen sets, stabilized, 1800 gals fuel capacity, 4gph @ 1350 RPM, 2 autopilots and up to date electronics. New owner presently has it for sale in San Diego for $285K (check it out on Yachtworld). Cruised extensively in PNW before bringing her down the coast to San Diego. To make it to Hawaii, about 2500nm, I figured I would need an additional 500 gal fuel bladder and felt very comfortable planning to undertake the passage in her a few years ago with the final destination Australia.
Since then, I've been looking at Cats having owned monohulls for years before moving to a powerboat. While the price is somewhat higher, IMHO, they more than make up for the price differential in space, stability and comfort under sail.
I've delivered every manner of boat up and down the west coast over the years, except for multihulls, but recent experience sailing on a friends' 35 ft cat was really an eye opener for me. Today, if I was to undertake ocean passagemaking, my preference would be a 40-50ft cat... just the musings of an old sea dog... Capt Phil
Old 02-06-2011, 11:50   #195
cruiser

then you agree with my decision of a 42' cat?
Closed Thread