Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 03:59   #166
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Looking for Advice on First Large Ship

well the news came in today.
the bank called. i am approved up to 325,000.
i am glad, now i am likely to spend less getting the right boat.
coming down to A lagoon, looking now at the 410 vs the 47 TPI i could get either one. there is also one 440 in my price range. i would be happier close to 200,000 thou.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:17   #167

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
if someone experienced can cross the Atlantic with a Gemini, i can go anywhere in a lagoon.
Good choice! Now you're on the right track. If you take time to get some instruction and learn a little about sailing, you will that knowledge to be very rewarding. But a Lagoon like that can go anywhere. That's a perfect boat for comfortable ocean-crossing.

Don't forget that most boats like this are not equipped for long distances and long periods away from land. Make sure and set aside enough money for adding safety equipment, watermaker, some way to generate power, some kind of communications (sat phone and/or SSB radio). Also before setting out to cross an ocean, you will want to make sure that sails, rig, and all machinery are in tip-top shape -- the cost of this can add up.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:34   #168

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Good advise, i'm curently specing my Catalac 900 so it can be as self sufficient as possible and it's not cheap to add things like a watermaker, solar, etc.

I would try and go for the smallest you're happy with, the 380 would be my choice. There is a 440 in the marina here and it's HUGE! That is a big boat to handle on your own.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:49   #169

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Looking for Advice on First Large Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejdarling View Post
Skip-
I really enjoyed your even-handed and well-thought-out explanation (post #66) regarding why some people might post "flippant" replies. Thanks.
I did too.

In deference to my blood pressure, I have ignored this thread until today. And I will have to continue ignoring it on the advice of my cardiologist. I did enjoy several comments quite a bit and I guess my favorite was the one about circumnavigating BUT being uncomfortable on the ocean in huge seas. Me too! Then the "healing/leaning" stuff and those damn dergs. The treadmill was a classic! Bet you could run the treadmill on solar power, and avoid getting all sweaty. The Drake Passage? Har dee har har! In "lue" of the Canal!!!! Wait til the OP finds out where the Drake Passage is. I'm going to predict that the Gulf of Aden comes out as the Garden of Eden. I skipped a couple of pages. Forgive me if that joke's been told.

It's only 8 am here but it seems like beer thirty. I'll be sharing this story at the Handlebar today. And rather than being upset, I feel pretty darn good. I may even skip my Prosac and double up on the Polident. There will be laughing.

And you know there will be a blog! Maybe even a documentary, strike that, a major motion picture starring ... er ... Shaq or Brad Pitt, I can't decide. Maybe Pee Wee Herman.

Goboatingnow has it right as did several earlier posters. I also agree with the guy who thinks this qualifies as a sticky. Yeah baby. It ought to be required reading before you can actually join CF. And I mean that in our "Be Nice" kinda way.

Oh, and coincidentally, the bank just called and I've been approved for a loan of $325.00 (no typo) but only if Boaty co-signs.

Good night Mr Scoobert, and all the ships at sea. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:16   #170

can anybody plese give me an advise if a sailboat like this can be able to sail the caribeam without any problem, or even to cruise from USA to Spain or going southblound form The Caribeam to Chile (through Panama Canal)?

Pleaea, I will aprreciate be sincere and tell me what more I need and at what level of higher costs?

THANKS GOOD BLESSES YOU
Old 01-06-2011, 06:17   #171

1973 Parker Dawson Center Cockpit sailboat for sale in Florida Sorry this is the site of the sailboat as a model to have your opinion
Old 01-06-2011, 06:30   #172
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing8989 View Post
1973 Parker Dawson Center Cockpit sailboat for sale in Florida Sorry this is the site of the sailboat as a model to have your opinion
All is possible with due prudence.... would like to know what the oar is for though... steering...??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:00   #173
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejdarling View Post
Skip-
I really enjoyed your even-handed and well-thought-out explanation (post #66) regarding why some people might post "flippant" replies. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
I did too.
Thanks gentlemen. I'm flattered. I guess occasionally I can be thoughtful instead of my usual rude and judgmental.

Actually I have been thinking about the issue of rude or flip replies to posts and I have a solution in the form of a list of rules or guidelines for new members and boaters that should result in an even better online experience on Cruisers Forum.

1. Do not use the term "blue water" unless you

a. Have been at least 100 miles off shore in a small boat (Royal Caribbean doesn't count) OR
b. You have at least 100 posts on the forum.

2. Do not ask what kind of boat you should buy unless you

a. Read every post in at least one of the 47,865 previous threads discussing that exact question. OR
b. You complete a questionnaire that includes at least the following:
- budget
- number of people and pets
- previous boating experience
- where you plan to cruise AND
- how much money you have to spend (budget)

3. Until you have grown a really thick skin do not post any questions about: guns, anchors, or certain other sensitive subjects. The suggestion to check previous threads helpful here as well.

4. Do make at least some vague attempt to research previous threads on this and other forums. I have discovered that many of the questions I have have already been asked and answered.

5. Previous research into cruising boats and lifestyle should go at least one step beyond watching Captain Ron five times on HBO. In fact, never mention this movie at all unless you have already complied the requirements of Rule #1.

I'm sure I can come up with a few more pearls of wisdom after a bit of thought but this should be a good starter.

Skip
Old 01-06-2011, 08:32   #174
cruiser

i have seen water world no less then 20 times. i think that makes me a sailing expert..... and tgzzzz, eat my shorts.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:42   #175

Boat: private yacht always moving

i sailed in the blue lagoon in bora bora on a sunfish,,,,guess I am a bluewater sailer or is it sailor???
Old 02-06-2011, 05:30   #176

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
i have seen water world no less then 20 times. i think that makes me a sailing expert..... and tgzzzz, eat my shorts.

No offense taken sir.

Seeing Waterworld 20x allows you to waive Skipmac's excellent "guidelines" for a better online experience at CF. As a Costner fan myself, I might have used Bull Durham as a better example for this discussion.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:31   #177
cruiser

never saw it, why don't you have your boat profile filled out?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:36   #178
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Seeing Water World only allows you to post questions about multi hulls. Other prohibitions still apply.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:40   #179
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
i sailed in the blue lagoon in bora bora on a sunfish,,,,guess I am a bluewater sailer or is it sailor???
Or maybe you are a bluewater lagoonatic.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:00   #180
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Seeing Water World only allows you to post questions about multi hulls. Other prohibitions still apply.
Not just any multihull tho'....
Tri's... with self energising sails... awesome...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Closed Thread