Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 15:43   #61

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

Well at least then we can be told how to live!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 15:46   #62

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Litigation issues indeed. What has our society become? One of the reasons we're departing the US of A. Enough is enough.
And just for the sake of conversation, to what idyllic paradise which you consider the paradigm of culture, morality and elevated civility beckons your departure and anxiously awaits your arrival? I'm sure fellow readers of this blog will be greatly interested. I certainly am!
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 15:47   #63

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1 Terry View Post
Do people in the US really do this sort of work for $8 an hr?
$8/hr?
You should see what can be had in other 3rd world countries for $8/DAY

Quote:
I couldn't even get a trade assistant for under $15 an hr and that was 12 yrs ago
Perhaps wages in Australia are far to high?
Probably why our manufacturing industry is kaput.
Old 05-07-2012, 15:53   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
$8/hr?
You should see what can be had in other 3rd world countries for $8/DAY

Perhaps wages in Australia are far to high?
Probably why our manufacturing industry is kaput.
And when China becomes affluent, when their people complain about the high cost of consumer items i wonder who will then be the manufacturers? Probably us!!!!!
Wow that's off thread!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 16:17   #65

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
And when China becomes affluent, when their people complain about the high cost of consumer items i wonder who will then be the manufacturers? Probably us!!!!!
Wow that's off thread!!!!
More likely the US
China has played the long game very well, thinking in generations not just "4 more years"

China Buying and Building US Factories

Old 14-07-2012, 01:23   #66

Boat: OEM, proportional

The groundwork for the Empire of the Former North American Republic has been laid. Congress and Senate are irrelevant as it is now possible to rule by executive fiat and appointed czars. No unscrupulous trick will be spared to win a second term, and then the fat lady sings an old, old song.

Meanwhile, over the Atlantic, the EU core and seed and model of the OWG, as admitted by Chief Garden Gnome Rompuy of The Fourth Bureaucratic Reich, continues to subvert the yet remaining tatters of the member nations' independence and sovereignty, whilst maintaining the illusion of democracy to the football-and-beer befuddled masses of Old Rome Revived.

Further east the Chinese are entering their end-game, licking their chops at the tasty prize of being Number One Kid on the Block, and preparing for either a showdown or marriage of convenience with India, probably both.

In the resurgent and reassembling Caliphate, ennabled by treachery and cowardice by the infitrated saboteurs of the west, designs are made upon the infidels, particularly on the Children of Israel and the Great Satan that was their chief protector in recent history.

The plundering of Africa's stupendous resources and the misery of its harried inhabitants continues. Business as usual, though nobody seems to realise that even colonialism by the Great Powers was better than Colonialism by Neo-Babylonian Sociofascist Capitalistic Ecoreligious Globalism.

Things are looking up, if you have eyes to see across the ravine, and ears to hear the warnings.
micah719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 01:31   #67

Ok then......
Old 14-07-2012, 08:13   #68

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
The groundwork for the Empire of the Former North American Republic has been laid. Congress and Senate are irrelevant as it is now possible to rule by executive fiat and appointed czars. No unscrupulous trick will be spared to win a second term, and then the fat lady sings an old, old song.

Meanwhile, over the Atlantic, the EU core and seed and model of the OWG, as admitted by Chief Garden Gnome Rompuy of The Fourth Bureaucratic Reich, continues to subvert the yet remaining tatters of the member nations' independence and sovereignty, whilst maintaining the illusion of democracy to the football-and-beer befuddled masses of Old Rome Revived.

Further east the Chinese are entering their end-game, licking their chops at the tasty prize of being Number One Kid on the Block, and preparing for either a showdown or marriage of convenience with India, probably both.

In the resurgent and reassembling Caliphate, ennabled by treachery and cowardice by the infitrated saboteurs of the west, designs are made upon the infidels, particularly on the Children of Israel and the Great Satan that was their chief protector in recent history.

The plundering of Africa's stupendous resources and the misery of its harried inhabitants continues. Business as usual, though nobody seems to realise that even colonialism by the Great Powers was better than Colonialism by Neo-Babylonian Sociofascist Capitalistic Ecoreligious Globalism.

Things are looking up, if you have eyes to see across the ravine, and ears to hear the warnings.

As Civilization declines, the Shaman becomes King.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 08:25   #69
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Being Morally Right Sometimes Carries a Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
The young man's choice at the moment was between a real victim and a hypothetical victim. Yes, he put his company at risk, for a few minutes, when he left his assigned area, but morally it was the correct choice, and I'm sure he's happy with his decision.

In his mind, apparently, the choice was clear. And there wasn't much else the company could do, except let him go, because of that very "what if…".

It's that last sentence I disagree with. In any situation, an intelligent person can think of five - ten alternate solutions. The more serious the consequences of an action are, the more important it is to be both smart enough and flexible enough to be willing to consider other solutions.

The guy helped save a life. The people he was supposed to be protecting would be at just as much risk if he were saving someone in his beach area.

This means that no matter who the lifeguard is saving, they need a Plan B for when the lifeguard is busy.

On a boat, if the skipper has to leave the helm, someone else takes the helm. No problem. If you've been working together -- for instance in a race -- everyone else already knows who that person is going to be. You don't just leave the helm uncovered. You have a plan.

They should have an ACTIVE plan that's DRILLED for what to do if the lifeguard has to stop sitting on his perch and actually go deal with an emergency.

The company had a BAD plan, and they applied it rigidly and stupidly. If they'd been smart, they would have said "OK we didn't think of this one but it's happened. Since asking someone who is trained to save lives CANNOT be required to watch someone drown because our planning was inadequate -- what will our plan be?"

SIMPLE. And then, instead of losing three good lifebuards, their highly trained lifeguards would be even more highly trained.

The company acted like a caricature of beaurocracy at its worst. Any company that cannot adapt and change for the better isn't going to do well, and if I were on the city council of any city hiring these bozos, I would now be leading an active compaign to find someone else. In addition, I would be leading an active campaign of direct oversight of their policies to make sure they include policies that aren't so incredibly short-sighted.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 08:28   #70
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's an interesting perspective DOJ, but luckily for the human species, and for human civilization, yours is a rare one. You appear to be a psychopath (And I know you won't be offended when I say this ).

(Please note: I am using the term psychopath in the pure clinical sense. It is not meant as an insult).

Research has found that psychopaths make up about 1-2% of the human population. It's a "normal," if somewhat rare, disposition. Therefore, your perspective, while fascinating, has little validity for the vast majority of us.

Interestingly, most modern corporations and large businesses are psychopaths by design. I think this explains the innate disgust most of us have when we hear about this lifeguard story. The systemic issues which result in a company firing this employee come from a moral framework which most of us do not share.

I'm sorry, but your calling GoJ a psychopath is WAY over the line.

I am surprised to see a sailor who can think of no other solution than the one the beaurocrats in that company applied that day, however. Typically the one trait I have seen in common among all sailors is that they're all problem solvers. This was a problem with many possible solutions.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 11:40   #71
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I'm sorry, but your calling GoJ a psychopath is WAY over the line.
Was that a typo due to thinking of Goats?

As said already, I don't offend easily (at all?) - not saying that always a good thing mind .

Anyway, no harm - no foul
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 11:47   #72
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Neo-Babylonian Sociofascist Capitalistic Ecoreligious Globalism.
brilliant, I'm keeping that one in my cut and paste buffer, other then that I lost you at The... BTW youre keeping me from enjoying "Jersey Shore"

Dave
Old 14-07-2012, 11:52   #73
Nearly an old salt

hold up the horses, I read back through this thread and I came across this

Quote:
Ironically though I did once get locked up for a while (a week? / 10 days?) in a secure Physchiatric hospital (and funnily enough met a couple of people I knew!) - but that a business dispute rather than a medical thing...........which ended nicely enough in a 12 hour drinking session with the Chief of Police (who had to be carried, comatose, into the back of his pickup truck - and he was a fat bloke!). Me carried on for a couple more days . Oh happy days

Forget the lifeguard, I want to hear how DOJ got locked up in the nut farm

Dave
Old 14-07-2012, 11:59   #74
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Forget the lifeguard, I want to hear how DOJ got locked up in the nut farm

Dave
It was about a VAT dispute on a boat .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 12:16   #75
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
It was about a VAT dispute on a boat .

damm, its the Neo-Babylonian Sociofascist Capitalistic Ecoreligious Globalism, thing again isn't it. I mean why should somebody preaching Neo-Babylonian Sociofascist Capitalistic Ecoreligious Globalism. be locked up in a Neo-Babylonian Sociofascist Capitalistic Ecoreligious Globalism nut farm.

( Im finding it more difficult then I thought to fit in that term)

dave

Tags
head