Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2022, 16:45   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
ebay refund/no return question

I wasn't sure where to put this. In all honesty, it's only mildly related to cruising, since this is about something I bought for my boat, so hopefully that lets it qualify. I'm looking for ebay experts or experience ebayers to chime in.

The wall of text below is a bunch of details about events that seems to have ended in me getting a refund, but with no instructions/direction to the return the item. I am aware this is sometimes a result, but I've never had to deal with this and there were no explicit instruction that I am not required to return the item. I just want to make sure that there is not something I'm missing, and that I won't get in trouble later for not returning the item.

I bought something on ebay, it was being sold used but like new. The pictures showed it in very good condition. It arrived, the box was pretty beat up, and the item had a couple dents in it, one quite significant and would impact the ability to use it. Also a minor part of it was broken with pieces missing. I initiated a return request, detailing the damage and attaching detailed pictures of everything.

I got a response from the seller, that he very clearly stated no returns, that the item was in good condition when he sent it, that it was well packaged, and then he suggested that maybe I had dropped it and damaged it after receiving it.

I responded that ebay's return policy allows for returns of damaged items even if the seller's normal return policy says no returns, and that I was initiating the return process as instructed by ebay.

The next message I received was that the seller had "asked eBay Customer Service to review this case and make a final decision".

I took this as a good sign, since it would cut past possibly days of back and forth with the seller. I expected I probably wouldn't hear back till Monday.

Fifteen minutes later, I got an email from ebay that they had "decided to issue you a courtesy refund for this case on Mar 17, 2022 to the original payment method you used to purchase this item. We're sorry you had a problem with your purchase". I then got an email from paypal with a refund from ebay. There were no instructions in either email mentioning how to return the item or links to return instructions or a return label.

When I go to the details of that purchase, the status shows "Status: Your return is complete".

When I click on "see case details" it says that I've been refunded and the case has been closed in my favor. It then shows some info including the case ID # and return ID#, the latter of which is a link.

When I click on the return ID#, all it says is "This return was closed on Mar 17 because the seller opened a case."

So, what do you think?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 16:55   #2

Boat: Sabre 34II
Re: ebay refund/no return question

Keep the item or throw it out, the seller is not interested in receiving it back.

I had a similar issue a few years ago when an electrical item wasn’t working after it arrived, the seller acknowledged and provided a refund, when I inquired about how to return it he said to keep it throw it out, I threw it out.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 16:56   #3

I think the seller rather screwed themselves by not accepting a return when you requested it. So Ebay stepped in, and did the right thing.

At this stage, the seller can claim from the shipper for the damage. He already has pictures.

As a matter of courtesy, I would ask the seller if he wants the goods returning, and if so, to provide you with a shipping label.
Old 17-03-2022, 17:01   #4

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

When I go to the details of that purchase, the status shows "Status: Your return is complete".

"When I click on "see case details" it says that I've been refunded and the case has been closed in my favor. It then shows some info including the case ID # and return ID#, the latter of which is a link.

When I click on the return ID#, all it says is "This return was closed on Mar 17 because the seller opened a case."

Did the return ID# link go to a printable return label?
If not, I would just keep the item in case there is an issue in the future.
I had a similar issue with a $40 fishing reel that came damaged and the seller told me to just keep it. It was also insured by the US postal service so it was a win-win.
If you continue to use eBay, I would recommend paying with PayPal to protect your purchases.
Old 17-03-2022, 19:30   #5

Thanks for the advice guys. So it sounds like they aren't requiring me to return it. I'll give it a few days to see if there's a follow up with return instructions. If not, I'll consider contacting the seller about it. I've used ebay for quite a while and never had this scenario come up.
Old 18-03-2022, 00:28   #6

Contact the seller and see if he wants it back.

Ebay isn't going to do anything else. They typically do the minimum.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 06:28   #7

Had a similar thing happen a few years back. Actually bought 4 identical items from a seller. Two were seriously (and obviously) faulty. I only wanted a refund of half of my money. They refunded it all.

A lot of people would just take the money and run. I'm not built that way. I tried to find out how to return the two good units to the seller. No luck. I tried to find out how to pay for the two good units. No luck.

Eventually I gave up and accepted that, maybe, it was easier for them to just write it off than to try to get back what they were due. If you have made a good-faith effort to deal with them honestly and fairly, then that's the best you can do.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 07:07   #8

I am considering contacting the seller if this is the extent of the ebay interaction, I'm justifying to figure out if the ebay interaction is finished and closed or if there's something more.
Old 18-03-2022, 19:10   #9

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

The case is closed. The seller got their money from you and eBay refunded to you from their coffers. Move on and enjoy.
Old 18-03-2022, 19:51   #10

Is that how it works? I assumed ebay would pursue the refund money from the seller.
Old 19-03-2022, 07:59   #11

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Is that how it works? I assumed ebay would pursue the refund money from the seller.
Not exactly. EBay refunded you immediately, but I can almost guarantee that they then charged the seller for the refund, either by withholding proceeds from a payout, or if he had no current sales, they charged the seller's account/credit card for the refund amount.
Old 19-03-2022, 08:06   #12

Yeah, that's what I said. So when greenwave said that the seller got their money from me, eBay is going to take that from them.

Tags
fun