Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2022, 19:46   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Do You Have a Secret to Getting People to Take Your Money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Well sure... but grinding out 60 hours a week for the nice half of the year isn't that attractive either. And how many of the 60 hrs/wk are actually billable?
For hungry guys like P .... every single second is billable + all the equipment and parts markups.
Old 11-04-2022, 20:04   #77

Boat: Rafiki 37

I managed to get work done on my boat when I hauled out a few weeks ago by doing everything BUT the bit I needed skill labour for, and then pleading my case with the foreman over the course of a week.

If you aren't in front of them, they won't do it. Completely swamped and are prioritising people they know and have existing relationships with.
Old 12-04-2022, 00:24   #78

Chotu,
Give me a shout, message, or however this works on the board.

Not certain what I can do, but have some connections with folks who do very specialized work with aircraft parts.

Might be able to set you up with somebody, and more than willing to do what is possible to help a fellow boater.

Let’s face it…
We may travel, come from different walks in life, different locales, but we are all in the same community.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:54   #79

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

in answer to the question "Do You Have a Secret to Getting People to Take Your Money?"

the answer is : "yes, i do"

if the next question is "well what is it ?", the answer is "I'm not telling. if i did it wouldn't be a secret, would it ?"

i'm not sharing my tradies with anyone...get your own !

cheers,
Old 12-04-2022, 05:14   #80
CLOD

Boat: none

I need a bottom job (I have been to the boat yard before). I started setting up the haul back in Dec. In March I start trying to get on a schedule. Got no response to emails so finally called. Got told I will have you contacted and waited a week. Arrived in town so decided to just go visit and talk to them. Got told they can't get workers to do the work so said OK I will do the work (it is a DIY yard also) and said OK will have the schedule guy contact you. I wait a week and go visit again and the same guy from last week now tells me "we are too busy and not scheduling haulouts for DIY work".

So I check around the area and the few close full service places are booked out 3 months.

So I contact a DIY yard a couple days boat travel away. Send the email...get nothing. Try to call and get voice mail that isn't setup so you can't leave message. Get in car and drive down to find the office is closed. Wander around looking for a worker till another customer then tries to help. Other customer finally texts the yard manager asking him to help me. I finally get the guy on the phone and says "yes I think we can get you next week". Next week is here and I haven't heard anything so I text him (he knows my number now and it is the only way to reach him) asking it there is a rough time so I can plan. Have heard nothing!

So yes, it is hard to give away your money.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:55   #81

Boat: 1975 hunter 30

I have worked in the marine industry for 40years know everyone most personally some professionally. Believe it or not have the same problem that you have. Sorry to say but it is a sign of the time's. Good luck 👍 you just have to keep a smile on your face and make them your friend hope for the best.
captrick2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 18:11   #82

Boat: A55

@Chotu - sent you a PM
Chrisatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 21:07   #83

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Same for our local sparmaker, metal fabricator, and fiberglass guru. In 5 years we are going to be S.O.L.

By chance are two of the three, Buzz and Homer?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 07:10   #84

Boat: 1975 hunter 30

Sorry I don't. Paid half up front for a main sail,received a great sail year and half later. Sail was finished only because people from his yacht club told sail maker if he didn't finish my main no more business from them.
captrick2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 00:56   #85

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

We have had great service from this small company. Custom Marine Hardware.
JTR Enterprises, Inc.
1510 - 51st Street South
Gulfport, Florida 33707
727/321-6321
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 03:49   #86

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Chotu,

Here are two links for you to try. Both in the Annapolis area:

https://k2metalfab.com

https://www.katomarine.com/

The second one is mostly stainless, but they can get you to the correct people. They are very nice. I have personal experience with Kato. Only met K2 at the boat show.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 04:53   #87

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
And who do they like? People who they can make high profit from, or people who bring in low-profit jobs?

Of course, this is not the only factor at play, and the more personal the transaction, the more other issues come in. This is why I made my suggestions to the OP in the first place -- issues around becoming part of the community, instead of remaining outsider.

But all business, be it a small owner-operator or a large corporation, seek to maximize profit. It's capitalism, and there's nothing wrong with that .
Again, I disagree. I thought my anecdotal observations were well cited, apparently not. I won't get long winded, but will repeat: my friends in the trades, whether business owners or employees, put ethics and compassion above maximization of profit, at their own expense. Maybe it's different in Canada. Or maybe it's just the friends I've selected.

While they are compassionate, they don't suffer fools. They can smell a jackass a mile away, and won't take the work. About machine shops, fabricators, auto shops, and marinas I hear the complaint all the time "they don't have time for my job" and "they quoted way more than I think it's worth" and "he won't return my call." I just chuckle. OK.
Old 14-04-2022, 05:20   #88

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Again, I disagree. I thought my anecdotal observations were well cited, apparently not. I won't get long winded, but will repeat: my friends in the trades, whether business owners or employees, put ethics and compassion above maximization of profit, at their own expense. Maybe it's different in Canada. Or maybe it's just the friends I've selected.

While they are compassionate, they don't suffer fools. They can smell a jackass a mile away, and won't take the work. About machine shops, fabricators, auto shops, and marinas I hear the complaint all the time "they don't have time for my job" and "they quoted way more than I think it's worth" and "he won't return my call." I just chuckle. OK.

I think it depends both on the shop (and their typical attitude) as well as how busy they are. I remember getting a job quoted on a car that I didn't have the reasonable means to do myself and was not necessarily a pleasant job for anyone. Asked 2 shops that I trust for a quote. Interestingly, the shop that's typically cheaper came in about 60% higher. They were very busy at the time and could afford to turn down a job they didn't really want to do, so they priced high. The other shop was happy to do the work.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 05:43   #89

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

I’m having an awful time getting anybody to do anything.

funny

found some roaches and suspected mice?

since ready to start my trip up north, wanted to make sure do not have them.
called the pest control people, came for an estimate, but will not commit to a day.
Oh well, got a gallon of same stuff I use at home for roaches,12 dollars, done.
wonder what will happen when we cannot do maintenance and stuff.
It is no longer just money.
Oh well, will cross that bridge sometime.
Sayonara
davil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 06:42   #90
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

You probably don't think so, but you basically just said YES to this whole thread topic.

Tags
money