Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2022, 07:54   #331

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Coral Reef Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Climate change will clearly disrupt El Niño and La Niña this decade, 40 years earlier than we thought

We found the influence of climate change on El Niño and La Niña events, in the form of ocean surface temperature changes in the eastern Pacific, will be detectable by 2030. This is four decades earlier than previously thought.

So what does all this mean for Australia? Warming of the eastern Pacific Ocean, fuelled by climate change, will cause stronger El Niño events. When this happens, rain bands are drawn away from the western Pacific where Australia is located. That's likely to mean more droughts and dry conditions in Australia.

It's also likely to bring more rain to the eastern Pacific, which spans the Pacific coast of Central America from southern Mexico to northern Peru.

Strong El Niño events are often followed by strong and prolonged La Niñas. So that will mean cooling of the eastern Pacific Ocean, bringing the rain band back towards Australia—potentially leading to more heavy rain and flooding of the kind we've seen in recent months.

Our research suggests Australians, in particular, must prepare for more floods and droughts as climate change disrupts the natural weather patterns of the El Niño-Southern Oscillation.
So after telling us that the natural weather pattern is an Oscillation between flood and drought, you are saying that climate change is going to disrupt that pattern and we should expect more of the same? I dont5get it.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:49   #332

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Thought we were in a 3rd year cycle of El Nino hence why Australia is rather wet at the moment
Old 01-12-2022, 10:02   #333

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Philosophy 101 Logic..
One person denying another person's denial = 2 Deniers.
I've nothing against so called renewables as I have been using 12v wind generators since the 80's but, they are only part of the solution.. does the world contain enough materials/minerals to build enough renewables for an 8 billion and growing population.
Nuclear is an essential and fossil needs tapering not cutting dead by politicians going for the populist vote.. remember the big Go Diesel con than was fostered on us a coupla decades back.. cheap cleaner fuel and cars they said..
That didn't last long.. diesel now costs more than gas both as fuel and cars yet both are cheaper to produce.
Maybe if you were less of an attack dog you'd get a pat on the head once in a while..
Hey friend, I calls 'em as I sees 'em. If you spout garbage, nonsense, illogicality, et al - you are deserving of criticism for that spewing. If you can't stand the heat, maybe you should stop pouring gasoline everywhere*. I am assuming you are a good person. But regardless of how good of a person you are, if you say something lame, I encourage you not to hope I won't smack it down.

And FWIW, I don't disagree with your assertion about nuclear. We probably need some of it. And I have high hopes for fusion. But I am not foolish enough to fall for the "fusion is going to solve everything so don't worry about fossil fuels for now" scam. That is a fraud and a stalling tactic.

*ooh, pat myself on the back there for that mildly amusing double entendre/mixed metaphor
Old 01-12-2022, 10:24   #334

I thought we were supposed to run out of oil back in the 70's? Oops, wrong.
And "Al" said the icecaps would all be melted by 2000 and the world would be "awash"! Ooops,never happened.
There's been about 50-75 or more "dire warnings" from the chicken little crowd since, well forever.
Yet here we still are.
Plenty of oil,gas,and coal still in the ground.
Ice Caps still there.
Coastal locations not underwater.
Hmmm, it's as if the fear mongering was complete BS.
THAT is difficult to "deny"!
Old 01-12-2022, 10:55   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
What do you guys think of this new documentary about the cattle and poultry industry having multiple times worst pollution than the oil industry?
What i would prefer to see is actual data from a reputable source. What are the real data? And also: Who made this? Who funded it? For all I know it could be a bunch of distorted statistics by PETA to trick people into going vegetarian*. Documentaries can serve a good purpose. But they can also be hideously bad pieces of propaganda.

*which is NOT to say that I am opposed to serious reductions in meat (esp beef) consumption. Talk about government subsidies - the ridiculously low lease fees that cattle ranchers pay to graze on our public lands are a joke. Pretty much the same thing as paying people to pump methane into the atmosphere.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:06   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheCobbler View Post
I thought we were supposed to run out of oil back in the 70's? Oops, wrong.
And "Al" said the icecaps would all be melted by 2000 and the world would be "awash"! Ooops,never happened.
There's been about 50-75 or more "dire warnings" from the chicken little crowd since, well forever.
Yet here we still are.
Plenty of oil,gas,and coal still in the ground.
Ice Caps still there.
Coastal locations not underwater.
Hmmm, it's as if the fear mongering was complete BS.
THAT is difficult to "deny"!
Guess I was wrong. There are still those desperately trying to deny ACC. Similar to Boatman's post. This is a classic denialism paper tiger trope, which is to trot out a caricature of a past claim, show it is wrong, and say, "look - see - they are wrong!" It is a pathetic, illogical, desperate attempt to deny what is now all but certain.
HUMAN GENERATED HEAT-TRAPPING GASSES ARE SERIOUSLY MESSING UP THE PLANET AND IT WILL GET WORSE.
There is no real debate about that any longer.
It is over.
You can stop.
I appreciate that you don't like it - I don't like it either. But irrespective of our opinions it happens to be true. To claim otherwise is denialism, plain and simple. It is opinions marshaled against an overwhelming mountain of data. As they say in Jersey 'fuggedaboudit'.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:48   #337

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I'll tell you what, this has been a long hard road to travel, a lot of water under the bridges or under the keel.
It all started when we had to hide under our desks to get protection from the Russian bombs.
After high school we knew we had to stop the Commies, so we went to Viet Nam to put a stop to that ideology.
Well, that didn't work out to well, so those of us who made it back, (and joined with many who didn't go,) decided it was better to stop all the wars, and we did a fairly good job for a while.
But then a new crisis hit, and we had to go to the PNW to save the trees, then it was off to save the Delta Smelt.
After all, the farmers didn't need water to grow food, we were all going to die soon anyway because of too many people, so we wouldn't need as much food anyway, and besides, the oil was going to run out, so we had to travel fast before all the oil was gone.
Jeepers, no time to rest before it was out to the desert to save the tortoise and snail darter, that done we had to hustle back to the PNW to save some owls.
This business of saving everything took a lot of commitment, before we had a chance to rest, we had to head to the North Atlantic to save the whales, and then before global warming took over, we had to save the polar bears and the ice cap too.
Lots of us couldn't take part in all the saving, but those who had to stay behind could take solace in listening to their Joni Mitchell albums to keep up the faith.
Then there was an ice age coming, so the polar bears would have to make it on their own until we could save the rest of them.
All this saving was wearing us out, after all, we were getting older and slower, (and the trust funds were depleted,) so we kind of split up into 3 main groups, and a few sub-groups.
One of the main groups, being disheartened at not being able to save everything, went to work for the evil corporations they despised.
A second group that still had some fight left in them put on sweaters with elbow patches and became professors to indoctrinate the youngsters to carry on the fight to get to utopia.
Another group became politicians to codify the dreams of the professors into "feel good" laws that offered much promise but didn't really achieve much in tangible results but did allow them to assuage their guilt from their failures.
The professor group were more successful, they were able to crank out an entire generation of "Saint Greta People" who can carry on the fight for us oldsters.
Anyway, after this long battle there are still a few of us left who are able to read and understand something that Winston Churchill said almost a 100 years ago.
It was true then, it's true now.
"If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain".
Old 01-12-2022, 11:50   #338

Boat: Island Packet 40

And the latest on the reef.

Even though a survey has reported that coral cover on The Reef is the highest since records began to be kept another UN committee is on it's way and threatening to place to place The Reef on the "in danger" list.

"Old zealots never die, they just lie in wait."
Old 01-12-2022, 11:59   #339

Ignore this post. Just like when he was called out in post 316 to please supply the factual basis for a claim - it does not appear. It probably won't here either. Why bother with actual facts when you can just make things up?
Old 01-12-2022, 12:10   #340
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coral Reef Status

I think human pollution is a big problem, places the Atacama desert have become rubbish tips, out of sight, out of mind
Recycling is a total con job, abuse of the natural regeneration/balance of atmospheric gases is disrupted by deforestation in the name of profits.
Cities are seeing higher temperatures not from 'global warming' but from sprawling urbanisation creating heat sinks over wider areas.
Do you have a coherent argument or is all you have to throw at us is insults and agenda's and nothing else to offer other than 'Renewables will save the world..'
The fossil fuel problem is largely hype churned out by vested interests.. fast fashion garbage and other disposables will still continue to be churned out to be dumped in wild places where they will rot, degrade and churn out gases well out of sight.. plus old tyre's, cars, trucks and more.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...thes-West.html

https://www.euronews.com/video/2022/...les-of-rubbish

No gasoline.. that's your department..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
Old 01-12-2022, 12:17   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Guess I was wrong. There are still those desperately trying to deny ACC. Similar to Boatman's post. This is a classic denialism paper tiger trope, which is to trot out a caricature of a past claim, show it is wrong, and say, "look - see - they are wrong!" It is a pathetic, illogical, desperate attempt to deny what is now all but certain.
HUMAN GENERATED HEAT-TRAPPING GASSES ARE SERIOUSLY MESSING UP THE PLANET AND IT WILL GET WORSE.
There is no real debate about that any longer.
It is over.
You can stop.
I appreciate that you don't like it - I don't like it either. But irrespective of our opinions it happens to be true. To claim otherwise is denialism, plain and simple. It is opinions marshaled against an overwhelming mountain of data. As they say in Jersey 'fuggedaboudit'.
Are you " denying" that every dire fear mongering claim has failed to materialize?
You're a "denying" you're a deni-er !
Hahaha!
What's that chicken little?
Old 01-12-2022, 12:23   #342

Perhaps we should all start using hair spray and r12 refrigerant again to open up that ozone hole everyone forgot about ( because there's a new emergency) and it'll help cool things down and we can get back to teaching school children that an ice age is coming! It'll be like the 80's again !!
Old 01-12-2022, 15:25   #343

Are there any more charming fellows than old, self-satisfied white guys? I include myself.

Good luck, kids and grandkids. You'll need it.
Old 01-12-2022, 15:37   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
"If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain".
After watching the Trump cancer grow and metastasize on the GOP, and the UK Conservatives Brexit and otherwise fumble their way to irrelevance... I don't think there are currently many actual, genuine conservatives in politics in the english-speaking world.
Old 01-12-2022, 17:33   #345

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Ignore this post. Just like when he was called out in post 316 to please supply the factual basis for a claim - it does not appear. It probably won't here either. Why bother with actual facts when you can just make things up?
Do your own research you lazy bugger or just start regularly reading a quality news paper and watching a TV news which is not all propaganda.

Australia is one of the largest energy exporters in the world yet is in the midst of an energy crisis which may include extensive blackouts if the summer turns hot as it often does. If someone can offer me a logical and rational explanation for this situation may give an inch or so in my firm opinion that the country is being ruled by thorough going ratbags who are redesigning our energy systems from sales brochures on the basis of wishful thinking.

Tags
coral