Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2021, 00:06   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: A call for mod action and user restraint

This thread has demonstrated the diversity of opinion, the need for thread drift, personal angst between members, the inability or disinclination to follow the owners request as to HOW to conduct oneself on the board, the erroneous view that pressure will change moderation............

It ain't happening folks. We are aware that USA politics permeates the posts, we are aware of religious views regarding climate change is everywhere...... even on this thread as a sidelining feature. We are aware of political discussions regarding COVID and etc etc.

We the mods, do sanction and remove people as required. We not tell you bout it. Some on this thread have been stopped from posting a couple of times, yet we allow back if the poster behaves.

Some will never post on CF again due to gross naughtiness. Some try to sneak back under a false name or family member. We have to watch out for all these tricks.

Bottom line, its a private forum. Write the mods if you have an issue. If you post a grievance publically, it will be removed and depending on the nature of it, you might get a warning or a strike. If you dont like what we do under the rules we have to follow, it might be best if you find another forum because things of an administrative nature probably will not change.

Thats how it is.
Old 09-03-2021, 00:33   #212
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
This thread has demonstrated the diversity of opinion, the need for thread drift, personal angst between members, the inability or disinclination to follow the owners request as to HOW to conduct oneself on the board, the erroneous view that pressure will change moderation............

It ain't happening folks. We are aware that USA politics permeates the posts, we are aware of religious views regarding climate change is everywhere...... even on this thread as a sidelining feature. We are aware of political discussions regarding COVID and etc etc.

We the mods, do sanction and remove people as required. We not tell you bout it. Some on this thread have been stopped from posting a couple of times, yet we allow back if the poster behaves.

Some will never post on CF again due to gross naughtiness. Some try to sneak back under a false name or family member. We have to watch out for all these tricks.

Bottom line, its a private forum. Write the mods if you have an issue. If you post a grievance publically, it will be removed and depending on the nature of it, you might get a warning or a strike. If you dont like what we do under the rules we have to follow, it might be best if you find another forum because things of an administrative nature probably will not change.

Thats how it is.
That all makes sense.
Just wondering if Mods collectively decided to give a bit more lattitude during this pandemic lockdown?
Old 09-03-2021, 00:49   #213

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I still want to know what term ASA changed
Old 09-03-2021, 16:35   #214

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:

Thats how it is.
All fine and good but could you explain to us users how the rules would address a situation where a moderator is regularly at fault, for example if one was found to be motivated by excessive political correctness?
Old 09-03-2021, 16:50   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
All fine and good but could you explain to us users how the rules would address a situation where a moderator is regularly at fault, for example if one was found to be motivated by excessive political correctness?

Yes, cos we all know how intolerable the forum gets when a poster is too inclusive, too sensitive to others' concerns, too even-handed, too considerate... it's horrible.
Old 09-03-2021, 17:04   #216

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I assume by political correctness you actually mean basic civility.
You don’t have to like or agree or even be that courteous to other members you disagree with. But there is a basic civility that is expected and if you can’t manage that then you are being rude which is against the rules.

If you have a specific beef with a mod that post something you feel is against the rules then flag it. There is a triangular icon at the bottom left of every post and top right of every PM. Click on that and there is a text box for you to make you case. Once it is sent an email goes to every mod & admin and a discussion thread that only mods can see is opened. And yes we do police our own. I have had post deleted as a mod.
Old 09-03-2021, 17:12   #217

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I still want to know what term ASA changed
I'd guess MOB is now a COB (crew overboard).
Old 09-03-2021, 17:44   #218
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A call for mod action and user restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Yes, cos we all know how intolerable the forum gets when a poster is too inclusive, too sensitive to others' concerns, too even-handed, too considerate... it's horrible.
Yes... Its much more fun to dismiss people's posts by calling them trolls or ignorant.. saves having to argue the point by asserting the pseudo superiority of the pseudo personality..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-03-2021, 18:22   #219

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Which poster(s) or mod(s) did you have in mind?

I don't think you can have "too" much of any of the things you describe since they help facilitate open and respectful discussion, thereby promoting the basic civility Adelie just cited as the goal. By contrast, excessive political correctness has the opposite effect since it more often than not superficially limits candid dialogue, restrains people from speaking their mind, and even deters people from posting at all. Personal insults are one thing, but basic civility shouldn't require posters to be held responsible for comments which someone else happens to find offensive if they were never intended as such (and obviously aren't). I think some are far too quick to rely on political correctness, or other means of dampening open and honest dialogue (e.g. labels and stereotypes ), when the reality is they're simply intolerant people themselves, and can't handle other points of view. It's intolerance which is disrespectful and therefore uncivil in public discussions and debates, not mere disagreement (as strident as that may be).

It's already been said again and again, but the easiest and best remedy for opinions which someone finds intolerable is simply not to participate. I cannot understand why people knowingly engage in inherently controversial topics, only to then get upset that the discussion is too controversial! Seems to me that's when the name-calling and other nonsense starts, to the detriment of thoughtful and productive discourse.
Old 09-03-2021, 18:43   #220
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote Adelie
If you have a specific beef with a mod that post something you feel is against the rules then flag it. There is a triangular icon at the bottom left of every post and top right of every PM. Click on that and there is a text box for you to make you case. Once it is sent an email goes to every mod & admin and a discussion thread that only mods can see is opened. And yes we do police our own. I have had post deleted as a mod.
Unquote

And there you have it guys.... we are all human and ocassionaly misinterpret or miscommunicate in a thread
More than often, we get close to the line, the Mods ignore and so do the smart readers , as they give the poster the bennefit of the doubt.

Because I'm over 65,
Living here in Subic, I am not allowed to leave me home/yacht except for essential needs. For a full year now.

So sometimes I get too immersed in CF, the devil colors my posts and luckily most don't take the bait and ignore me

My subjective observation is that the Mods have given us more lattitude this year, recognizing frustrations and some like Science and Technology are hard hitting debates.

I think the Mods do a great job, even when they censure me[emoji1303]

As Mike said , if a post bugs you, just ignore or flag and let the Mods make the call.
Stay safe everybody!
Old 10-03-2021, 08:42   #221

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

is now a good time to discuss plough anchors....
Old 10-03-2021, 08:50   #222
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post
er...................no. Not on this thread. Or......... ok.. whatever.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:54   #223

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post
It's spelled "plow." Sheesh...

Old 10-03-2021, 09:00   #224
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I just want to know if I can use the term Winch anymore.

BTW: Great response to a highly loaded question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I assume by political correctness you actually mean basic civility.
You don’t have to like or agree or even be that courteous to other members you disagree with. But there is a basic civility that is expected and if you can’t manage that then you are being rude which is against the rules.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:35   #225

Quote:

Thats how it is.
And with much appreciation of the efforts of all the moderators.

Perhaps the forum could do with less opining [particularly off topic or political, religious, ethnic, gender, etc.] and more directed posting of topic factual or anecdotal content; but when an on topic opinion is expressed then a full degree of respectfulness and proper forum decorum would be wise as to consideration and addressing of others opinions.

Now time for some on topic memes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Penalty ad hominem attack.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	234247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Penalty proof by intimidation.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	234248  

Click image for larger version