Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 22:28   #121

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Re: Wood Stove

It appears that when Neil owned the yacht, he was using a fairly large wood stove in which you could watch the fire - some wood stowed next to the stove. A later photo (new owner, perhaps?) shows a smaller wood(?) stove in the same location.

Burn wood. It's fun to watch.[/QUOTE]

I am guessing the original larger fireplace punched out too much heat. I'm planning a wood stove for my boat and at a store I looked at an almost regular sized fireplace and decided the boat would get much too warm. The smaller fireplace in terms of function I think is a better option. Would love to know where he got the newer one.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:53   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
It appears that when Neil owned the yacht, he was using a fairly large wood stove in which you could watch the fire - some wood stowed next to the stove. A later photo (new owner, perhaps?) shows a smaller wood(?) stove in the same location.

Burn wood. It's fun to watch.
I am guessing the original larger fireplace punched out too much heat. I'm planning a wood stove for my boat and at a store I looked at an almost regular sized fireplace and decided the boat would get much too warm. The smaller fireplace in terms of function I think is a better option. Would love to know where he got the newer one.[/QUOTE]

If you search the Net, there's a blog somewhere put out by the new owner.

With that aside, here's some more details (and an additional photo of the wood stove in the master's cabin - stateroom - when Neil previously owned it). I like the redwood burl surrounding the mast. Very cool!

Yachting Magazine: https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/way...ragland#page-3

"But Ragland isn’t your typical yacht. The interior of this floating home must be seen to be believed, because she is quite simply unlike any other yacht. She is Haight-Ashbury-hippie-pad-meets-Swiss-Family-Robinson-treehouse. She is wood and polished bronze and gleaming varnish and Turk’s head knots and a hearthstone fireplace and cozy nooks for curling up with a good book. And she is, um, eclectic."
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 22:51   #123

"But Ragland isn’t your typical yacht. The interior of this floating home must be seen to be believed, because she is quite simply unlike any other yacht. She is Haight-Ashbury-hippie-pad-meets-Swiss-Family-Robinson-treehouse. She is wood and polished bronze and gleaming varnish and Turk’s head knots and a hearthstone fireplace and cozy nooks for curling up with a good book. And she is, um, eclectic."

Ragland is an incredible yacht that if I had deep pockets I'd love to own. I really like older boats, they seem to be a living breathing entity with gnarled maritime history, sometimes drama, dotted with idiosyncrasies, owned by individuals who didn't always fit into the day to day modern stream of ocean going vessels, vying for the latest modernness award.
Old 13-09-2018, 00:56   #124

Quote:
Ragland is an incredible yacht that if I had deep pockets I'd love to own. I really like older boats, they seem to be a living breathing entity with gnarled maritime history, sometimes drama, dotted with idiosyncrasies, owned by individuals who didn't always fit into the day to day modern stream of ocean going vessels, vying for the latest modernness award.
In complete agreement! I laugh when I see people dump big money on poorly constructed French monos & cats. Not only the overall "cheap" construction, but the God-awful IKEA-furniture decors make me want to vomit. Yuck. Cheap junk. If one must buy new, purchase a Hinckley or a Morris, or above ($$$).

Speaking of great old sailboats, "Mayan", David Crosby's John Alden mahogany schooner is also lovely. He sold it a few years ago, yet he lived on her for over 4 decades (Caribbean, California, Hawaii, and parts beyond). He didn't need a GoPro camera and wasn't trying to be a YouTube-idiot "star". He's a REAL live-aboard sailor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	177277   Click image for larger version

Name:	M2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	177278  

Name:	M3.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	177279   Click image for larger version

Name:	M4.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	177280  

Name:	M6.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	177281   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAYAN.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	177282  

Old 13-09-2018, 10:41   #125

The past labour day weekend I was at the 2018 Victoria Classic Boat show, with some oldies but goldies. Part of the reason I went was to determine a) who manufactured my boat b) would my boat fit into this classic show. Turns out my boat is a 1961 Grenfell, the only 28 foot Thornton Grenfell built. All Grenfell boats were custom built, no shells used to make more of the same.

Below is a long video to the 2016 Victoria Classic Boat show, couldn't find a 2018 video, so take a few minutes to skip through this long clip. Many of the boats from 2016 were at the 2018 show:

Old 13-09-2018, 10:44   #126

Quote:
The past labour day weekend I was at the 2018 Victoria Classic Boat show, with some oldies but goldies. Part of the reason I went was to determine a) who manufactured my boat b) would my boat fit into this classic show. Turns out my boat is a 1961 Grenfell, the only 28 foot Thornton Grenfell built. All Grenfell boats were custom built, no shells used to make more of the same.

Below is a long video to the 2016 Victoria Classic Boat show, couldn't find a 2018 video, so take a few minutes to skip through this long clip. Many of the boats from 2016 were at the 2018 show:

Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 19-09-2018, 03:35   #127

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

For anyone interested we made a video of about installing and using our cubic mini cub wood stove. Hope you enjoy!

DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 04:27   #128

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
For anyone interested we made a video of about installing and using our cubic mini cub wood stove. Hope you enjoy!

A great video, thanks.
Old 19-09-2018, 07:56   #129

west coast weather... more on heat...
switched to stove oil in the winter.. few more btus than diesel(was a few cents cheaper... in summer you can be on deck while preparing grub
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 18:55   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post

Thank you so much! I found your youtube channel and subscribed. Do you think the cubic mini grizzly would put off too much heat for a 30 ft boat. I'd use a fan to circulate and want it to heat up the entire cabin.
LadyByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 21:33   #131

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

When I lived aboard with wood stoves, I could damp the stove down for less heat. It was also great to open the hatch, and let out all the warm moist air, to dry the boat out in wet, Puget Sound/Salish Sea winters. Then warm it up again. There is nothing as cozy as a dry, warm cabin on a cold, wet afternoon. Romantic, too, with the right company.

I think a cubic mini would be plenty of heat for a 30 footer. Almost any stove small enough for a 30 foot boat will need to be filled at least every hour or two.

It's a lot more comfortable to sleep under warm blankets after the stove goes out, if the cabin and blankets are nice and dry.
gulfislandfred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 23:07   #132

I had a Dickerson wood burning fireplace and yes, also perfect ambiance. I didn't really entirely warm my Catalina 30 but really did enjoy it!
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 23:25   #133

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Catalina 30 is a big boat inside. You would need the heater low, and a fan to circulate air, and feed that little firebox about every fifteen minutes, to get enough heat to really cook the interior. Dickenson makes great stoves.

I had a friend in Seattle who had a length of 4 inch dryer duct hose, and a computer fan that fit on the end. He put the fan end next to the bulkhead mounted wood heater, and the other end under the covers of the forward bunk. The rapturous look on his girlfriend's face when he talked about blowing hot air into the bunk told the whole story.
gulfislandfred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 15:20   #134

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

The Grizzly would probably be fine if it fits. We wanted the smallest and cheapest stove possible so went with the Cub. We are happy with the Cub on our 30 ft boat.
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 15:27   #135
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

If your set on a wood stove you could if you have access to a welder make your own .

I have plans pm me if you want them.

Tags
stove