Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2016, 23:19   #1

Why Do People Do This?

I've been spending a lot of time shopping for a boat and I've noticed a common pattern in the ads. It goes something like this:

"The owner just spent gobs and gobs of money on this boat. It has a new this, an upgraded that and a never before seen other thing. Don't miss this opportunity!"

So I wonder, why do people go on spending binges just before selling their boat? Did they ..
- go broke and now have to sell their boat?
- realize the spending won't stop until they go broke?
- become bitter from all the spending, so that they can't enjoy the boat?

Or it is, in fact, that the rate of spending displayed in these ads is actually a constant rate that I should assume will have to continue?

While I don't want to present this as primarily a new boat/old boat question, it does seem to be mostly older boats that show this pattern.

Indeed, the more "salty" the boat (mid, heavy displacement, center cockpit or pilothouse, multiple passages, etc), the more likely it is to have this pattern as well. So-called production boats less so, but it happens there too.

It is a difference in boats or a difference in sailers?

Maybe the way to ask this questions is - when or under what conditions does a boat reach a point of diminishing returns so that it should not be considered?

Thanks
kalbahnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 23:41   #2
cruiser

Re: why do people do this?

The former owner has a dream, then when it comes time to set sail, family commitments and career or a business get in the way. Sometimes a financial downturn takes place. So the upgraded boat sits in the slip or in the boatyard unused. That was the story behind our boat prior to purchase.

Then other times... The former owner sets sail for the first time, his spouse gets seasick and says "never again," and the dream is dead.

Another reason: Kids and their land based commitments don't allow the time to go boating.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 23:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The former owner has a dream, then when it comes time to set sail, family commitments and career or a business get in the way. Sometimes a financial downturn takes place. So the upgraded boat sits in the slip or in the boatyard unused. That was the story behind our boat prior to purchase.

Then other times... The former owner sets sail for the first time, his spouse gets seasick and says "never again," and the dream is dead.

Another reason: Kids and their land based commitments don't allow the time to go boating.
Then I'm overthinking it? Take the ads at face value?
kalbahnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 00:05   #4
cruiser

We got a great boat at half the price the former owner paid. Only 600 hours on the engine and 300 on the genset. Practically new.

Still, a little schepticism won't hurt. Forget about adding any value to any three year old or older electronics onboard. Really, anything older than three years is obsolete. All pumps, macerators, waste hoses and impellers will need replacement.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 00:13   #5

I have just spent 3 years rebuilding a boat. Spent 1000s more than it will ever be worth because it was going to be our family home. Now circumstances have changed family wise so now the boat us unless to our needs. I will be placing a similar ad soon. Must add though you always have something to fix or upgrade on a boat.
Sv_OrangeZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 00:23   #6

Boat: Lots of boats.

One person's loss becomes another one's gain. The boat lives on and so does the dream. It simply transfers to the next owner.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 01:31   #7

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

We picked up ours cheap - as owners wife who loved sailing sadly passed.
New wife cannot stand it - so hence we got a boat for a price we liked.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 02:52   #8

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Why Do People Do This?

Sometimes a seller may do needed upgrades to enhance the market appeal.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 03:27   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, kalbahnov.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 03:37   #10

Boat: C&C 30 mki

The ad might say new this ,replaced that etc, etc, but when? You will find ads that say "new engine " and the date next to it says 2002, that's not new to me , not even recent . Mechanical upgrades over ten years old ? Might want to plan on them needing possible renewing under your tenure , electronics over a few years old , budget for eventual replacement in the near future . As a side note a maintenance log with consistent upgrades and such does show care for the boat and possibly represents a boat that could serve you well .
Stingraydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 03:54   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

We recently looked at a dozen boats. All listed new or recent upgrades etc. Only one lived up to the description. One boat in particular gave a full listing of work done a year ago. The poor girl was nearly deralict anyway. But based on description we did look, so my guess is most owners and brokers are just savvy with marketing.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 05:19   #12

I have an older boat and every year we are either replacing or upgrading something, it's part of owning an older boat.

If I were to list my boat for sale, as an example here's the listing of improvements:

- all new exhaust manifolds & risers
- new carpet in the salon area
- new toilet in forward head
- new gps & depth sounder
- new electric induction stove
- new full size fridge
- new balanced props
- 3 new batteries
- new hot water heater
- probably more if I was to spend time thinking

These are both things that are considered regular part of maintenance and things we chose to change.

The listing could appear that the boat is being re-fitted, but in fact just the usual year to year up-keeps.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 05:50   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Not all people do, and I'd be real leery as seemingly more often that not, the upgrades are questionably installed.
The boat I bought was 27 when I purchased her. She had along her life had a very few items added, but nothing major, VHF and stereo came from the factory. I could tell the bilge pump had been replaced since speaker wire and electrical tape were involved, and some fool added a secondary bilge pump and high water alarm which seemed like a good idea, until I discovered it was T'd into the propane locker drain, connecting the propane locker directly to the lowest point in my bilge.
Seemed obvious that this boat was rarely sailed, original sails were in very good condition at 27 yrs old.

Being that she had no options, she was priced very reasonably, so I got an "un-molested" boat at a good price, downside is that I had to buy all the gear I wanted, upside I installed it myself so I know where to start looking when it doesn't work.

I believe its the dock Queens that have very little gear, what use is Radar and AIS, watermaker etc., if you never leave the dock?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 05:55   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

DISREGARD.

It is all sales talk. I know a handful of boats like this that I would not touch with a dirty stick.

"One owner from new".
"Maintained meticulously".
"No expense spared".

WARNING SIGNS.

Sure. ;-)

Do NOT listen to what the selling broker and the becoming ex-owner are trying to tell you. Their business is to SELL the boat, not to pass information to you.

A clean, sound and well maintained boat sells on her own virtues. You come, you look, you buy. You may haggle some but not madly so, as you will know you want her.

Your observation is correct. It is a pattern. Each pattern teaches us a lesson.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 06:58   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Believe nothing of what you read.