Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2016, 11:47   #31

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: What one or two items would you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampabayfireman View Post
...What one or two items...
A camera.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 08:44   #32

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic

Heavy duty ground tackle and a robust winch to pull it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bytownboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 08:59   #33

Autopilot
Watermaker
Davits
Dodger
Bimini
Electric windlass
....would top my list

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 10:42   #34

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic

Oops! Meant windlass! Too many years spent as a logger I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bytownboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 11:00   #35

I would echo what others have said: ground tackle system and comfortable berth.

If you can sleep well, life is good. A complete ground tackle system you trust in all conditions and a comfortable berth with an excellent mattress will make life aboard sweet.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 16:55   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I do agree with Evans that I need to have what stuff that I rely upon being well installed and maintained.
For me, the very greatest luxury was in having nothing broken and minimal maintainance. That was a much greater luxury than (just for instance) a longer shower.

The path to that state of luxury is twofold #1 only buy and install stuff you Really need, and #2 then make sure that gear is installed perfectly - which includes easy inspection and access, and that requires much more space than a "typical" installation, which again leads you to wanting less "stuff". And only very very rarely will a "pro installer" do the job "perfectly" because it (usually) visits and 3x and takes much more labor hours than an "adequate" installation.

A lot of people who "have not yet been out there" just simply don't understand how difficult an environment it is for reliability . . . Not even people who "should have know better" like the CEO of west marine. It is a hard earned lesson, which few newbee's listen to.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 08:19   #37

Obviously the basics are important, but you probably know what those are.

Things that we found really make a difference, but that we didn't really think about/plan for until a few months into the trip (when we were in the middle of nowhere...):

-Protection for your electronics. We have a silly number of Pelican cases, but the peace of mind they bring - especially when dinghying to and from shore - is irreplaceable.

-An AeroPress. Because sad coffee is sad, but AeroPress coffee is good (bonus: power-free and super easy to clean).

-Activities. For me this is thousands of small TV/movie files that I can watch on my iPad during night watch when a book/the stars just aren't going to cut it. For my boyfriend this is his guitar and strange books about coding (or whatever life skill you aspire to learn). Music and podcasts also good. Snorkelling gear also important.

-Sun safety. Two things: (1) In many places of the world, sunscreen can be prohibitively expensive. So stock up where you can. (2) Hotter places/the tropics/near the equator it can be impossible to find sunscreen with less than SPF 50. More SPF is better safety-wise, but some days when you're mostly lounging about inside it's nice to have some SPF 20-30 on hand so you don't need to coat your body with super heavy and slimy stuff. That said, we got a 1L pump bottle of SPF 50 from some sailor friends and it's fabulous for when you're running out the door (or off the swimming platform, as it were).

-Sun shade. Some days are just too nice to be inside, so being able to safely hang out in the cockpit is a must.

-Things to make your food interesting and the cooking enjoyable. The more small weird things the better.We make lots of rices/risottos/pastas, so being able to mix and match spices and sauces etc. makes it far more fun and tasty. Coconut milk is a must have. ALSO: NZ/AUS sell small, thermos-looking yoghurt makers (see: EasiYo, which are utterly amazing. The yoghurt mix - many different kinds and flavours - just come in small packets that are easy to stock up on. Fresh yoghurt on day 24 at sea? Yes please.

-Harness (basically looks like a PFD that can clip on to the boat but without the inflatable bits). We don't have one yet, but I get tension headaches from wearing my PFD so hopefully this should help.
MichelleMillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 12:00   #38

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Y'all're gonna laugh at me for this one, but ever since we've been gone, I have had my favorite goose down pillow on the boat. Mostly these days, I use an orthopedic pillow, but when it's really rolly, and my body doesn't want to "settle" and sleep, using that fat, conformable down pillow to stop me rolling around, is just GREAT. [And yes, the weather gods have granted that it has stayed dry, mirabile dictu.]

A.
Old 27-02-2016, 12:47   #39

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Y'all're gonna laugh at me for this one, but ever since we've been gone, I have had my favorite goose down pillow on the boat. Mostly these days, I use an orthopedic pillow, but when it's really rolly, and my body doesn't want to "settle" and sleep, using that fat, conformable down pillow to stop me rolling around, is just GREAT. [And yes, the weather gods have granted that it has stayed dry, mirabile dictu.]

A.
No laughing here. It's all about the pillow. I can sleep just about anywhere as long as I have a good pillow.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote