Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 16:26   #31

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
This thing kicks ass, inside or outside the boat. Fill it up with water, leave it in the sun, and it's warm within several hours. Or just fill it up 1/3 with hot (not boiling) water from the stove on cold/cloudy days.

Pump-up Solar Shower
Rebel Heart you live in San Diego. That is an unfair advantage. hehehehe

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 16:53   #32

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah
We're mid-project on installing a basic 120V 3 Gallon hot water tank. If we continued to be weekend/holiday cruisers here in the PNW, we'd continue to go without. However, we're about to move aboard. Solar showers require sun... something we're short on 8 months of the year. Also, showering in the cockpit... I like a touch of modesty now and then. Obviously, when we're out, we'll be back to the Solar Shower, though as a drain will be fitted in the head, we'll be able to leave the bag on deck, yet run the hose through the portlight for privacy.

The main reason for this is because I work at a job that I simply can't be a grubby smelly sailor.
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:29   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
So how does one get a second garden sprayer head without the whole garden sprayer?
The most recent one I bought was a Gilmour brand, labled like this:

Gilmour
PROFESSIONAL
Sprayer Parts
WAND & DISCHARGE
VALVE REPLACEMENT

With a number at the bottom: R1458PW

But I don't see that available online...

This valve has worked very well for me in the past, and is higher quality than the Gilmour specified above (wish I had bought this one this time):
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1278209&kw=gilmour&origkw=gilm our

With this wand:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1278233&kw=gilmour&origkw=gilm our

I cut off the wand to about 4" from the nozzle end with a small tubing cutter. Then, the clear plastic fitting on the discard end of the wand must be removed and installed on the nozzle part so it can be installed to the valve. Its on tight. I slid the black plastic wand nut down over the fitting to protect it, then slid a 3/8" drive spark plug socket, drive side against the nut. Then hold the wand by the cut end and use the socket as a slide hammer to drive the plastic fitting off. Then assemble the desired pieces. Worked for me.

I've been up here in MD working on the boat (old Morgan OI 41)since... well, Friday, I guess. Just installed and wired the Garmin GSD 22 sounder unit and my old 3010 chartplotter. Trying to install the Garmin depth tranducer. Too cold for epoxy so I'm making do. Hoping for a Thursday morn launch, then a Saturday departure (if my crew shows up) for a 130 mile maiden voyage/delivery to marina in the Hampton Roads area. Its 30*F and howling about 25 from the NW. Glad to have hot marina showers (and a warm sleeping bag)!!! Well, I better get back to doing my in-the-bilge boat yoga - keeps me warm anyway...
Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 19:26   #34

This is the old 3gal spreyer I had in the garage...tryed it and it works nicely...I would only use a longer hose and it be perfect for washing and flushing the toilet.

thanks for the tip!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0102.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	22038  
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 08:53   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
This is the old 3gal spreyer I had in the garage...tryed it and it works nicely...I would only use a longer hose and it be perfect for washing and flushing the toilet

Yeah, there's nothing like a little stream of pressure water for those stubborn skid marks...

If your sprayer unit is 'old', you may find it kinda stiff and maybe a little leaky to operate. In my experience that's mostly due to the original lube needing replaced. Often, if the pump unit, the valve and other joints and so on are disassembled to the point you can relube all seals and threads with silicone grease the unit will perform like new (rather than not working well, leaking pumped pressure, valve not shutting off completely or immediately, and then the pump rapidly wearing itself out). Makes all the difference...

Silicone grease can be used for all plastic and rubber parts like o-rings and so on. Will not deteriorate rubber like petroleum based lubes:
http://www.doitbest.com/main.aspx?pageid=64&sku=450383

Otherwise, units like the one you picture cost about $12 to $18 (USD) at big box retailers.

The hose I used is 1/4" clear vinyl with the reinforcing threads in it, but the most recent length of that I bought to hook up a sprayer head was thick-walled and its almost too stiff to use in cold weather. I'm carrying a 1" piece of it in my pocket for comparison-shopping and am on the lookout for the thinner wall stuff.

You could probably use that sprayer to make snow these days.
Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 09:16   #36

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
While living on the hook, I found that a nice hot shower everyday adds a great deal of luxury that simply should not be done without. There is no reason not to have a hot shower...and many ways to do it.

Invictus has a 12gal HW tank that can be heated by shore power or engine hot water. That is most convenient, however, living on the hook, I found it so easy to use the garden pressure sprayer. Super easy...and nice. One of the great things about the garden sprayer...that has not been mentioned yet is that it enables you to take a LONG shower. You can get various heads, but most have a very fine spray. That is OK. It gives you enough water to get perfectly clean...but the flow rate is not so high and thus you can take quite a long time to go through 1-2 gal.

I think it pays to have multiple ways. A hand pump and container, garden sprayer, HW tank heated by shore or engine.

DO NOT go without....it makes life aboard even more pleasureable. And why not? It SHOULD be and CAN be.

Best

John
s/v Invictus
lying Stuart, FL
Old 18-12-2010, 16:41   #37

I want no part of a water heater in my boat...living aboard can be both praticle and fun without all the luxery we are so use to...once in a blue moon a contemporary shower at a friends will be most appreciated...but on the boat the simple life prevails...I want something like an old pump brass extinghisher...preferably a bare bone model witch I can have my boats name engraved...whould look good on my bulkhead
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mntbuck3.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	22055  
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 16:54   #38

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Well I'll throw in an improvement to the garden sprayer that works for me. I unscrewed the wand and screwed on a sink sprayer. Still only sprays when pressed but a more showerlike stream. Can't figure out how to get the picture up but it's pretty basic.

And, no, I don't pretend to have invented any of it. Just stuff off the shelf.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 17:16   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
in the kalahari in southern africa the bushmen used to rub themselves down with sand,this would remove parasites,also they practise mutual grooming of the hair.
rain fall is virtually non existent there,some good tips on water saving.
see the film "the gods must be crazy" by jamie uys
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 21:45   #40

Boat: Island Packet 27, BLISS
Grandma always said ...

This thread reminds me of my Grandma's method for getting clean while retaining one's modesty. In other words, taking a sponge bath without removing your clothes.

First, with a washcloth wrung out in nice warm water, you reach inside your clothing and wash down as far as possible.

Next, from the other end you reach under your clothes and wash up as far as possible.

Then ... wash possible.

Rebecca (who is really glad to have hot water and showers in head and cockpit both!)
Gracias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 03:57   #41
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I am at the work dock and went next door to the small marina and got some of their shower tokens - $3 each!
First shower was fine but only 5 minutes long!!!!!

Next shower I do what a cruiser does on board.... soap myself up, shampooooch in hair, liquid soap right down to my tootsies.

Then I put in the token.

Then suddenly absolutly nothing happens!

Extreemly suddenly nothing still happens as I pound the freckin coin box!

So I get dressed

Walk back through the bar and resturant to my boat to have rest of shower

At least the clothes will get clean next time it rains

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 05:17   #42

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
This has to be the dumbest thread I've ever read. It sounds like a couple of you think you %678%$& invented the solar shower and garden sprayer.

You didn't.

A couple of others: TMI dipsh&%*ts!

Mind your frickin manners, people. Wash yourselves in private please. I don't want to hear about your armpits and your skidmarks. Are you not even slightly embarassed?
I accidently hit the THANKS button. if you get one from me, please disregard.

So who peed in your Wheeties?

Why are you attracted to reading a thread title "Washing Without a Shower"?

As you said, mind your.... manners.

While I agree about "washing yourselves in private", there are plenty of post here that rise above that. Perhaps the one who sets himslf up as the moral superior should be embarassed for taking such an interest in the post that might not rise as high.
Old 25-12-2010, 05:45   #43
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
So who peed in your Wheeties?

Why are you attracted to reading a thread title "Washing Without a Shower"?

As you said, mind your.... manners.
I started a similar reply, but in the name of Christmas changed my mind. But I will second your reply posting as well done.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 05:51   #44

Boat: O'Day 28
Will be ignoring in the future, sirs or madam. Took this last look to take my lumps after outburst. Lumps taken. Opinion unchanged. I don't see it as moral superiority to not want to read about one's stinky body parts and skid marks, or your intimations of ... what?... I'm not sure.

Keeping clean comfortably aboard can be a challenge, and I'd love to read something new rather than endlessly rehashing and reinventing what sailors and other travelers have been doing since we crawled out of the sea and started sweating.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 07:22   #45
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I am at the work dock and went next door to the small marina and got some of their shower tokens - $3 each!
First shower was fine but only 5 minutes long!!!!!

Next shower I do what a cruiser does on board.... soap myself up, shampooooch in hair, liquid soap right down to my tootsies.

Then I put in the token.

Then suddenly absolutly nothing happens!

Extreemly suddenly nothing still happens as I pound the freckin coin box!

So I get dressed

Walk back through the bar and resturant to my boat to have rest of shower

At least the clothes will get clean next time it rains

Mark
Too funny, Mark . . . not exactly what you wanted for Christmas, I'll wager.

TaoJones

Tags
washing