Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2010, 23:38   #1

Marinas and Airports in the Caribbean

hi there, finally about to make the plunge. im picking the boat up in pascagoula, ms in january and taking her for her one and only shake down run for a week or two arond the west side of florida, no destination in mind just were ever i end up. when i return i plan on fixing any problems i find durning the trip then head for the caribbean. so here is the question, i work a job in that requrires me to work four weeks strait and then have a full 2 week off. currently i just fly home for my 2 weeks off. on my time off of work i plan on crusing, from island to island in no pictular order. i only need a place to moarn the boat while at work. #1- would i be better off just finding one marina to pay a monthly fee to store the boat while at work or find a new one every time im ready to fly back to work. #2- what are the best air ports to fly in and out of in the caribbean? any help is greatly apreactied and any other advice you might have about my whole plan are welcome also
louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 01:23   #2

Boat: Boatless
We used Marina Del Rey in Fajardo Puerto Rico as a base for 6 months, flying in and out is fairly cheap as are the US and British Virgins but once you get down-Island airfares are not as cheap. However, there are many marinas that are reasonably priced and safe.

You will also have to deal with hurricane season which is a whole new discussion.

We would never leave our boat anchored while we were away, we bite the bullet and pay for a marina.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 04:38   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Sint Maarten (Princess Juliana - SXM) has a new airport with many direct flights to the US. There are marinas in the Laggoon that are relatively hurricaine safe that are close to the airport. My boat is on the East end of the island in Oyster pond at Captain Oliver's Marina. Oyster Pond is a better 'Hurricane hole".
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, marinas