Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2008, 06:16   #16

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrezz View Post
Bill - Just curious - why in the world would anyone want a washer/dryer on board a boat?
For 33 years I have been living out of a day pack or suitcase and washing clothes in laundromats and buckets.

If I can wash and dry a few shirts and shorts while lounging around the cockpit I'm doing it. I have the resources onboard (400 gallons of water and power) and I have the room.

When I started refurbishing this boat I decided to got at it the way the Air Force builds bases. Comfort of the troops first everything else second.

My first purchase was a davit arch so I could carry a RHIB and mount a satellite TV antenna. If the boats is underway and I'm not on watch I want to watch TV. I really want High Speed Internet at sea for a reasonable price but I guess I'll be waiting like the rest of us for that.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 06:24   #17

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
When I started refurbishing this boat I decided to got at it the way the Air Force builds bases. Comfort of the troops first everything else second.
Spoken like a true Navy squid.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 06:28   #18

You must know what I'm talking about.
Old 13-11-2008, 08:09   #19

Boat: CT54
We put in a washer/dryer combo last year (Majestic 9000V vented) and have enjoyed having it on board. We only use it when we are on dock (about 25% of the time) because of water use and because we are still in the states so going to the laudry is no big deal. I am hoping to get more use from it once we start cruising.
I would say to anyone looking to put in one of these combo units to measure carefully. We had to take the unit apart to fit it through the companionway which automatically voids the warranty (according to the manufacturer). These machines are not built to take apart so it really is a production but can be done.
Best,
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 08:24   #20

Good advice thanks Jackie
Old 13-11-2008, 10:02   #21

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
We put in a washer/dryer combo last year (Majestic 9000V vented) and have enjoyed having it on board. We only use it when we are on dock (about 25% of the time) because of water use and because we are still in the states so going to the laudry is no big deal. I am hoping to get more use from it once we start cruising.
I would say to anyone looking to put in one of these combo units to measure carefully. We had to take the unit apart to fit it through the companionway which automatically voids the warranty (according to the manufacturer). These machines are not built to take apart so it really is a production but can be done.
Best,
Jackie
I had to laugh a bit to myself when I read your account. I too measured and ordered according to the dimensions in the WM site. Got it down to the boat and found that the door is not the same width all the way. Luckily our motorsailer has a large sliding roof hatch. We provided some dockside entertainment as we hoisted it up using a spare haylard and lowered it through the cabin roof hatch.
Old 13-11-2008, 10:27   #22

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
A washer/dryer huh? As if I needed another reason to be jealous of you big-boat guys. Amazing what 10 more feet affords you. I hear WFBuckley squeezed a piano into his 60-foot schooner.

Dumb question maybe, but are there any models that let you wash clothes with seawater, and then have a freshwater rinse-off cycle?
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 13:10   #23

Quote:
Dumb question maybe, but are there any models that let you wash clothes with seawater, and then have a freshwater rinse-off cycle?

It might not be that crazy of an idea. The Thor marketing material claims the machine is all stainless inside. Using saltwater run through some kind of filter like the GE reverse osmosis kitchen counter water filter might work for an initial wash.
That filter claims to remove all kinds of bad stuff including some amount of salt. Of course it assumes you are starting with "fresh" water.

A good fresh water rinse with a few gallons then a dry cycle with one of those things that make your clothes smell like a summers eve.............no that was something else. Maybe a summer day, that's it. Summer day!