Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2021, 08:13   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: using a public boat landing to park car while anchored out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Day after day for weeks on end for 8 or more hours?
What difference does that make?
Old 23-04-2021, 09:30   #17

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog74 View Post
While waiting on a slip to open up in my area, I wondered if anyone here has tried to anchor near a public boat landing to park their car. Situation is I have a job on land and have not been able to find a live aboard slip in the my area. Just thinking of ways to make this work and also if anyone else has tried this.
I did for about 5 years. Helps to make friends with the kids running the ramp and the harbor master. I was also a taxpayer in the town where the ramp, mooring field and lot were located at. Check the local rules. Some places have no overnight parking. Others could care less.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 09:44   #18

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Buy a s**t old car that does the job. Drive to the boat ramp - drop off your gear/dinghy/kayak/ whatever. See if there is someone who can keep an eye on it for you - or travel with a partner who can do that.
Drive away from the boat ramp to somewhere you can park your car.
Take your folding bicycle from the boot - trunk to you - cycle back to the ramp, take the bike on board.
Reverse the process when you commute to work.
Just an idea - may not work for you...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 10:04   #19

Boat: Lazy Jack 32

If you decide to park near a public ramp, it would be a good idea to check with the local police department first.
Lazy Jack 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 10:14   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
While waiting on a slip to open up in my area, I wondered if anyone here has tried to anchor near a public boat landing to park their car. Situation is I have a job on land and have not been able to find a live aboard slip in the my area. Just thinking of ways to make this work and also if anyone else has tried this.
I would bet if you asked the municipality you would get a negative answer. Moving the car from spot to spot might make it less obvious. What do you do with your tender?
Who's landing Charleston, Charleston county or Mt. Pleasant?
I'd check with the marina down town. It was the Charleston city marina, but don't think it is any longer. They did have an anchorage and dingy dock.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 10:26   #21

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

This is one of the reasons the legislature in Florida is attempting to pass laws severely restricting long term overnight anchoring in FL waters.
tomlisasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 10:32   #22

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

When we were in Charleston we paid $5 or $10 a day for a dinghy dock pass at the Charleston City Dock Marina and we anchored out just south of RT 30 bridge across from the marina. We did not have a car, but They may allow you to park in their lot... I think it was a gated lot.

We also used the public dock at Brittlebank park just up the river to land our dinghy and go watch a ball game (2019). But the park has a Curfew, so that may not work.

There's a dink dock on the south side of the city dock at Care-Free boat club. You may be able to put in there. There's public parking as well since there are restaurants (the proper knot) and a BP gas station there.

Try Safe Harbor Bristol Marina just north of the rt. 17 bridge. They are a lower cost marina and have off-street parking.
https://shmarinas.com/locations/safe-harbor-bristol/

zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 10:37   #23

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

Some public boat ramps monthly rates. In Monterey, CA it's not very expensive. A public parking garage or a friend's house are other considerations.
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 15:24   #24

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
While waiting on a slip to open up in my area, I wondered if anyone here has tried to anchor near a public boat landing to park their car..............
I would not anchor near public boat landing while paking my car.........too much traffic. Wherever I launch my boat off my trailer I always tied if off on the boat launch dock. Then got back in my tow vehicle with trailer attached and parked it, then moved the boat off the boat launch dock.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 20:39   #25

Boat: 55 fleming

It depends on the location local rules and ordinances.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 06:09   #26

Boat: Tartan 3800

+1 on every public boatramp having different rules particularly regarding parking, leaving boats unattended, and nighttime closures.

Some around here are administered by city parks departments and are closed 10pm-8am, full stop, no parking, no walking, no boats, no launching, etc. Others are 24 hour. One I've scouted for a future trip has designated overnight parking spots.

There is also variation in rules and practices regarding unattended boats with many around here having a 15 minute limit and others having no official policy.

One other suggestion to consider is that you may be able to find a park that offers campsites for overnight use and that also has a boat ramp. Even if you don't intend to camp that may provide you the facilities and flexibility you're looking for.

In the same light you may be able to obtain a transient slip for two weeks somewhere and then move to another (nearby?) marina.
Old 24-04-2021, 13:53   #27

Boat: Hunter 28.5

Ok, thank you for the information.
Seadog74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 06:51   #28

Quote:
In an area where truck probably wont be noticed also I work third shift so truck will be at work from 10 PM to 6 AM. Rest of the time it should blend in with rest of the bass boat rigs. I prefer not to leave the dinghy at the landing but throwing it in back of truck or trailer will be a pain. But again it only will be there overnight tied off (or rather chained) off to the side somewhere.
I plan on anchoring far enough away where traffic should not be an issue. Negative on nearby empty parking lots or side streets. There are however an abundance of private homes with docks even closer to work which would be ideal but I am just trying to put together in my head how
I might convince somebody to agree to this arrangement after they open their front door to a complete stranger.
A little money seems to open doors and create friendships at a quicker rate... Offer them what it is worth to you. Personally having a private dock is a much better way to go if one would be available. You never know you may strike up a lifelong friendship too
pkirkll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 07:00   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What difference does that make?
Because if you are there 1 or 2 times, the staff may be unsure if you are there legitimately or not (per the site rules). Human nature is not to follow up if they can reasonably claim they didn't notice anything unusual.

If you are there for months on end, the staff is likely to notice and the longer it goes on the less they can claim they didn't realize...so eventually, someone is likely to follow up.

Honestly, if the OP wants to skirt the rules, that's an option but you don't get to come back and complain when it comes back to bite you. Locking the dingy to the launch docks is almost always against the rules. Instead go talk to the authorities and find out the rules and confirm what's acceptable. Otherwise suck it up and pay for marina dingy dock/parking (or find a private dock that will let you pay to use it).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 07:03   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Because if you are there 1 or 2 times, the staff may be unsure if you are there legitimately or not (per the site rules). Human nature is not to follow up if they can reasonably claim they didn't notice anything unusual.

If you are there for months on end, the staff is likely to notice and the longer it goes on the less they can claim they didn't realize...so eventually, someone is likely to follow up.

Honestly, if the OP wants to skirt the rules, that's an option but you don't get to come back and complain when it comes back to bite you. Locking the dingy to the launch docks is almost always against the rules. Instead go talk to the authorities and find out the rules and confirm what's acceptable. Otherwise suck it up and pay for marina dingy dock/parking (or find a private dock that will let you pay to use it).
No staff at a boat ramp

Tags
anchor, boat