Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2021, 07:11   #31

Boat: Hunter 37C
Re: using a public boat landing to park car while anchored out

Won’t work at most fl boat ramps, especially in S Fl. Most of them are now metered parking and have time limits, probably Because of people taking advantage of this in the past, and the police officers/parking attendants do routinely check this/write tickets, esp on weekends, and many technically close between sunset and sunrise and again the local police have been known to check this.
You usually cannot leave a boat unattended at a ramp taking up valuable launch/retrieve space, someone will surely complain. Not to mention it is kind of a dick move.

I’d also not want to keep my boat near a public ramp due to the high traffic and noise as others have said.
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 07:40   #32

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog74 View Post
While waiting on a slip to open up in my area, I wondered if anyone here has tried to anchor near a public boat landing to park their car. Situation is I have a job on land and have not been able to find a live aboard slip in the my area. Just thinking of ways to make this work and also if anyone else has tried this.
I don't think you will find a "liveaboard slip" in the Charleston area, but in the meantime, you could rent a slip as a transient month by month until you do find one. Of rent a non-liveaboard slip, keep your boat there, but rent a room or an apartment on land and sleep and keep your car there.

The boat ramps around Charleston are not intended for overnight parking and some are posted as such. At others, you could get away with leaving a vehicle parked overnight for a night or two if you have launched your boat and are cruising. I have personally done this.

The other issue is crime. If people see your car parked at a boat ramp overnight, they may decide to see if there's anything of value stored in it. And anchoring and leaving a boat near a public boat ramp invites people to board it and look for valuables.

I don't think your idea is a good one.
Old 30-04-2021, 07:48   #33

I was trying to come up with a similar plan. Launch the boat and tie it up in a marina for an hour or two so I can take my truck and trailer to a secure parking lot and get an uber ride back. Leaving my rig parked in a marina parking lot doesn't sound good unless they have security and are willing to make an arrangement. My grampa used to keep his RV trailer in a retired farmer's barn for a few bucks.
ron17571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 07:53   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
No staff at a boat ramp
Depends on the boat ramp. I know of many that have full time attendants. Most others have staff who swing by periodically checking on vehicle stickers.

Having officials never stopping by to check on things would be the oddity...particularly in a built up area like the OP's situation.

A remote lightly used ramp would be more likely to stand out if your truck was always there compared to a big busy ramp.

Check the rules...otherwise, you takes your chances and live with the results.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:29   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog74 View Post
While waiting on a slip to open up in my area, I wondered if anyone here has tried to anchor near a public boat landing to park their car. Situation is I have a job on land and have not been able to find a live aboard slip in the my area. Just thinking of ways to make this work and also if anyone else has tried this.
It's going to depend on the park/landing. We lived on the hook on Lake Boca Raton in Florida for almost 2 years and parked our car at Silver Palm Park with no hassles at all.
1Jazzsailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:45   #36

Boat: Hake 32RK

Not sure about the Carolinas but on the FL east coast there are brokers who hook up renters of docks with homeowners willing to rent out docks.....you might want to try online search in the area of interest......
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 18:10   #37

Boat: Martzcraft 35 1989

I have done 5his the past 2 years without a problem.
Kropdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 18:09   #38

Boat: Hunter 28.5

There is such amazing technology out there. Drones that are flown halfway around the world by somebody in a trailer, a Mars helicopter that flys itself, driverless cars that can take the unlicensed to where they need to go, it really too much to ask for a dinghy that you motor to a public landing and then after you get out will take itself back to your boat and latch on somehow, then when you are ready to get back aboard, give it a call or something and it will detach and come get you. I don’t think that’s asking too much and it would solve a lot of the issues that were brought up. Just remember you heard it here first!! Dingy Drone is a registered trademark of SaltyDog74 industries, all rights reserved
Seadog74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:30   #39

Boat: CT47 Ketch

I actually did exactly this for a while, in the worst of all places for such a situation, Newport Beach and Dana Point California. You will find the most enforcement of the smallest rules in these locations. My vessel was a 72 foot Alden schooner, so forget about blending in with other boats.
I cannot report that this was easy or without incident.
1. Most harbors will have a "distant entry" anchorage. See if you can find where they would anchor a vessel that just floated in, for instance.
2. The USCG may have a paid facility, which of course will not allow live aboard.
3. The dinghy will be a problem.

Best rule of thumb is to stay flexible, each day could be the day that you have to move the car, the dinghy, or the boat.
People who actually make their living upon the sea will be very understanding.
People who make their livings behind a desk, not so much. Dana Point actually seized a 10 foot dinghy, during the working day, with a schooner in their overnight anchorage!
Probably good advice (in hindsight) to never exactly repeat one days dinghy tie-up and car parking. Some sort of nearly random rotation of dinghy and car locations will arouse the least curiosity and thievery attempts.
(just to make things more noticable, my car was a RED Porsche 911SC!)

You will make it through. Just day by day gathering up materials for the eventual book...
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, boat