Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2020, 15:24   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
US Census 2020

I completed my US 2020 Census form today for the first time since 1970 as a citizen living ashore and not on board my sailboat. Certainly this was simple as a person with a residence at a street address.

For the 1980,'90,'00, and '10 census my family members and myself were not always counted. Once I was away cruising without contact; once I returned to my slip and found a water-soaked census packet floating in rainwater within my dinghy. Another time I had tried, but failed to initiate my count by calling a census agent.

It might not be as convenient as for those on land, but I encourage US citizens to be counted for the purpose of representation and allocation of funding.

It's an easier task for liveaboards now by contacting my2020census.gov
Old 22-03-2020, 07:39   #2

Re: US Census 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I completed my US 2020 Census form today for the first time since 1970 as a citizen living ashore and not on board my sailboat. Certainly this was simple as a person with a residence at a street address.

For the 1980,'90,'00, and '10 census my family members and myself were not always counted. Once I was away cruising without contact; once I returned to my slip and found a water-soaked census packet floating in rainwater within my dinghy. Another time I had tried, but failed to initiate my count by calling a census agent.

It might not be as convenient as for those on land, but I encourage US citizens to be counted for the purpose of representation and allocation of funding.

It's an easier task for liveaboards now by contacting my2020census.gov

Being counted is one thing......... the constitution requires such a count. I've always refused to answer any of the other questions. We have no obligation to provide economic and personal statistics and data.... That is government over reach.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 07:50   #3

How do you tell how many people in house on April 1 2020? If have to send in answer before April 1 2020. Oh yeah I know that's the government way.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Being counted is one thing......... the constitution requires such a count. I've always refused to answer any of the other questions. We have no obligation to provide economic and personal statistics and data.... That is government over reach.
Constitution requires it. But it looks like out dated now. Government knows more about our family than we do.
With reports and such . I believe that the government knows when a woman is expecting and how size of family will change before the husband does now. They know where we live .How many, how much we make , who we work for ,political party, ages ,health, Race, criminal record, etc.
So we put this info on paper weeks before it happens? A lot changed with this virus on April 1
Old 20-04-2020, 13:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
I have been watching for knock on door. so far so good.
When I filled in census form it asked about race? I marked other then wrote in" Human". My wife looked at it and said wishful dreaming.
I said "they can't put me in jail for this".
She said " I wish"
Old 21-04-2020, 02:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I suppose it's wise to be somewhat distrustful of the government. After all, for most of us they are us! I'm confident enough to take a certain amount of risk. Each morning my wife lays out a few pills on a napkin that she claims are specific vitamins and minerals. I take them without further investigation. Maybe I'm hoodwinked by an evil plot. I don't think I'm as quick or flexible as when I married her fifty years ago. I might need to rethink this confidence and trust!
Old 21-04-2020, 05:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 13:01   #8

I found that I am biased to my own beliefs. I don't trust others when they say I am wrong.

I did see the Easter bunny going down the highway couple weeks ago. I wasn't sure at first as he was wearing a mask. When my dog ran and hid under bed I knew I was right. So did he get counted during census?