Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2020, 09:58   #1

Boat: Farrier F-22
Send a message via Skype™ to fugue137
Tiny fridge+freezer: form factor, noise pollution, Isotherm...?

Hi all!

I'm awaiting a Farrier F-32 (a 32' trailerable trimaran is tiny sort of like a ~25' monohull). Trying to figure out some kind of cold storage. I would love to have both a fridge and a freezer, but space is tight. If I don't have room for both I'd probably prefer the latter (frozen fruits and veggies and bacon are even more important to me than cheese and beer (and multihull sailors need to optimise weight, so maybe replace beer with scotch)). So not one of those fridge-with-ice-tray-nook deals.

I have a promising spot that's roughly 17x17x17". Apparently the Isotherm Cruise 40 Cube has been squeezed in nicely under the settee on similar boats. It's just a fridge-or-freezer, but may be the best I can do. Any comments on this unit? I've heard a lot here from Engel fans, but less about Isotherm. Opinions?

I'm especially seeking comments on noise. Soundproofing around the compressor may be an option. But the best place to address noise pollution is at its source. The literature claims the Isotherm's Danfoss/Secop BD35F is "silent" but I doubt it. Are they pretty good?

Fridge-and-freezer:
  • Are there any good ones that are tiny? Like ~40 litres combined?
  • Two smaller units? Seems generally heavier, more expensive, less efficient, the need for 2 compressors is a downer, etc. But my evaluation may be ignorant...
  • Has anyone started with a fridge-or-freezer like this and just built a thermostatically-controlled divider+fan giving you a warm side and a cold side? Pointers? Kits? Off-the-shelf products? Stupid idea?

More advice, ideas, recommendations, etc?

Thanks!
-Ben
fugue137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 13:27   #2

Re: Tiny fridge+freezer: form factor, noise pollution, Isotherm...?

All air cooled refers make noise

That’s just the way is is

You can’t box them in or try to soundproof because they need airflow

You can make them perfectly quite be turning them off

No need to run 24/7

They have decent insulation and can stay cool all night
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer, isotherm, noise, poll