Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 10:36   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Foreign Country Car Rental Insurance

Haven’t had a insurance claim in 25 years, at least, and that was a stolen vehicle.

Until Friday. A real “Ooopsies” that was my fault. I did a substantial amount of damage. No degree injury whatsoever ever, except to ego and wallet.

As I didn’t run into another vehicle the rental insurance called it “careless driving”. My personal car insurance covers rentals in USA, Canada and some in Mexico only. Credit card had removed that coverage back in September. So I’m personally out $4,500 or so.

My question: is there some kind of international rental car insurance available? Your experiences and advice appreciated.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:42   #2

Re: Foreign Country Car Rental Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Haven’t had a insurance claim in 25 years, at least, and that was a stolen vehicle.

Until Friday. A real “Ooopsies” that was my fault. I did a substantial amount of damage. No degree injury whatsoever ever, except to ego and wallet.

As I didn’t run into another vehicle the rental insurance called it “careless driving”. My personal car insurance covers rentals in USA, Canada and some in Mexico only. Credit card had removed that coverage back in September. So I’m personally out $4,500 or so.

My question: is there some kind of international rental car insurance available? Your experiences and advice appreciated.
Not that I know of
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:49   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

American Express covers you almost everywhere and the coverage is included free if you use the card for the rental. I had a claim in the UK and they were great.

Just because it was your fault or a one cares accident doesn't normally invalidate coverage - did you read the policy?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:00   #4

I’ve never had an American Express

Looks interesting

https://feeservices.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do

Some countries not covered

Best to ask
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:08   #5

American Express has a Premium Services offering that is a flat-fee - usually around $25 - for each rental of up to 42-days. When AmEx was with Costco, I used it for business travel rather than my personal insurance as the AmEx Premium Service is primary insurance vs free credit card insurance is secondary.

It covers some countries, but you have to be careful. Mexico, for example, requires Mexican insurance for personal injury. But liability as in Dockhead's case would be covered (my understanding - please do not take my word for it).

Sorry to hear of your accident. Lousy to have an accident, especially far from home. Hope only damage was metal.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
American Express covers you almost everywhere and the coverage is included free if you use the card for the rental. I had a claim in the UK and they were great.

Just because it was your fault or a one cares accident doesn't normally invalidate coverage - did you read the policy?
Which policy?
My car insurance? My agent had an accident in St Marrten and she could not get covered. I’ve defied notification that only USA, Canada and Mexico were covered.
My credit card? The coverage was removed last September, change of conditions notification
The rental policy? It was <$10/ day, I don’t hunk it covered much.

This is water under the bridge and as I’m exiting Friday I’m not fighting with anyone here. Everyone is everyone’s second cousin, know when you are licked gringo.

I’m looking for future advice.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:12   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I’ll have to look into AmEx then.

Thanks

The damage was all metal,
Although my mental state may be questioned. LOL

I hit the curb of a one lane bridge. Dominica. No markings can no paint, no guard rail. All kinds of ego saving excuses come to mind. Thankfully I was going real slow as we were early for lunch.

I THINK what happened is the impact separated the half shaft, which pulled me left over the curb so that the left side of the car was over the water. I managed to keep the car over center on the road.

Scary as ****! The impact was bad enough but the sense we were going over the bridge, terrifying. It lasted all of 3 seconds. Far too long.

But neither of us had narry a bruise nor a sprain. And for that I’m extremely greatfull. I’m a happy man.

Well, a happy poorer man.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:25   #8

Boat: 1988 Sunward 48' Ketch

USAA offers auto insurance overseas. When we owned cars, the coverage was the same as for our vehicles; however, now that we have a non-owner policy, USAA provides only liability. Therefore, I’ve started buying the extra coverage from Orbitz or the rental car company.
dlane1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:32   #9

Many travel (airline associated and maybe some other )credit cards offer it: I know United one does and it is primary coverage. I actually email them prior to a trip and request coverage letter just to make sure of condition.
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:32   #10

You can often get temporary insurance from the rental company for the duration of the rental period. When I rent within the US, I wave it as my auto policy will cover rentals.

I've never rented internationally and couldn't confirm that this is always an option, but it's worth asking about.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:32   #11

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

maybe you should think about changing credit crd suppliers. OUr mastercard covers even if don't use it to rent the car

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:35   #12
Marine Service Provider

Some rental car insurance (credit cards) is only good for 30 days. This could be domestic as well as foreign. A friend got mouse-trapped by that in France. She damaged the car, turned it in immediately, but it was more than 30 days. Too bad. The tab was $2,700US. She was informed that if you need a vehicle for more that thirty days, return it early and rent a new one to start the clock over.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:36   #13

Dig around different credit cards offer different coverage.
Talk to your insurance agent to see if they can add a rider (if not call around to other agents)
Buy the car rental companies insurance.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:51   #14

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

I always take all insurance available when renting outside the US. Too many gotchas if you have car rental problems outside the US.

Although I have AMEX and Chase Sapphire and they provide some coverage, it is not worth it to rely on it outside the US.

Yes, it does cost about double the daily rental costs to take the rental car insurance but if you ever have an accident....

Sorry for your loss.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 13:27   #15

Boat: Catalina 387

I’ve rented extensively in Europe and usually use my credit card’s insurance, as it’s primary when out of the USA. When renting in Italy, Ireland or any other country that I’m not totally familiar with, I reserve through Auto Europe and get the CDW through them. Their rates beat anything I could get for full coverage, even being in the rental car company’s elite club. I’ve been reserving through them whenever I rent in Europe, even when I’m using my credit card insurance for their customer service and rates.

That doesn’t help with Caribbean rentals but keep them in mind if you’re in Europe. Actually, it might work in the French or Dutch islands. I’m not affiliated with them in any way but as a happy customer.
R.Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance