Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 18:28   #1

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m
Tiny, tiny traveller

I would like to replace the OEM traveller in the photo with a unit 2 or 3 times as wide, mounted in the same fore/aft location. Would this modification require extraordinary reinforcement to the coach roof? Or would simple backing plates be sufficient? I plan on consulting professionals, but wanted to get an idea of what I'm in for. Thanks in advance for any input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tt.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	193493  
surf_km55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 19:57   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Tiny, tiny traveller

You would want to talk to professionals, certainly. Travellers take an extraordinary amount of load.

Although it looks ridiculously short, are you sure you're going to get a benefit from the substantial cost of lengthening it? I ask because I have the same issue myself, but the more I sail the more I realise that because the main is so far along the boom, you actually have the same facility as a traveller in the cockpit that is two or three times the length. As long as you can bring the traveller up so that the boom is on the centreline when you're beating, how much further do you need it to go?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 21:20   #3

Re: Tiny, tiny traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Y.....are you sure you're going to get a benefit from the substantial cost of lengthening it?....., how much further do you need it to go?

The current unit is losing an end block [cracking] and overall it's lost its smoothness...17 years service. Insofar as width, doubling traveler width would certainly lay the main on the lower spreader, so some measuring is definitely in order.

Sizing the unit is the easy part. Ensuring that it's mounted safely remains the question.
Old 07-06-2019, 21:26   #4

Quote:
.....Travellers take an extraordinary amount of load.....
To calculate load, I used this:
https://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=9094

Result: 1316 Mainsheet load in pounds.
That's a bit of force to be yanking on your roof.
Old 07-06-2019, 21:37   #5

Boat: Dromor Athena 44

I got my new traveler from Garhauer. All their travellers are custom made and I suspect they could use your existing mounting locations and overhang on both sides. You should call and talk to them as they could at least give you their experience... I thought about overhanging mine slightly, but in the end I decided it wasn’t necessary. Overall I’m pretty impressed by the traveller they made me and it was a lot cheaper than any other option I found, plus I didn’t have to modify my deck mounting. Good luck!
SpaceRnglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 23:06   #6

Garhauer, spacer is right.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 23:51   #7

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

If you want to replace it, I’d be tempted to look at one just slightly larger, where the main sheet traveller itself is directly over where the track is bolted to the coachroof. The blocks at the end have only horizontal loading, so they could happily hang over the end of your moulded-in mounting. You’d get an extra two or three inches each end which would likely be fine. Check out Rutgerson while you’re at it, you can buy custom lengths and fit the appropriate bits to the ends, but the mountings can be at any point along its length so you can use exactly the same mounting holes as you already have (and/or add extra ones).
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 20:34   #8

Thank you for your input. Checking out Garhauer & Rutgerson now.
Old 13-06-2019, 21:04   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
You would want to talk to professionals, certainly. Travellers take an extraordinary amount of load.

Although it looks ridiculously short, are you sure you're going to get a benefit from the substantial cost of lengthening it? I ask because I have the same issue myself, but the more I sail the more I realise that because the main is so far along the boom, you actually have the same facility as a traveller in the cockpit that is two or three times the length. As long as you can bring the traveller up so that the boom is on the centreline when you're beating, how much further do you need it to go?
I think that's only true when its not blowing and you're beating upwind. Once it starts blowing and you're somewhere between close hauled and a beam reach, lowering the traveler reduces heel and weather helm, but still keeps power and shape in the main. A longer traveler can be beneficial.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 21:20   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Some boats do fine with no traveller. The thing about extending the traveller is there is a range and load there on the boom (like close reach to beam reach) that is currently being handled by the boom vang but you'd like to be handled more by the traveller and the reinforcement that will be taking the load on the coach roof. Personally I'd be inclined to give that load to an extended traveller too, but it is not necessarily necessary to have good control of the boom and mainsail shape as long as the vang is up to all the tasks put to it. How does the interior of the coach roof look, got room for the backing blocks in there too? They will be pretty much the same as what's in there already, just more of it. As far as hitting the spreader and/or shrouds, can't the boom and sail do that already? If not you may need a longer mainsheet. You're not really extending the reach of the mainsheet, just the range of the boom that will be controlled by the mainsheet via the traveller and not the vang.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 22:28   #11

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_km55 View Post
I would like to replace the OEM traveller in the photo with a unit 2 or 3 times as wide, mounted in the same fore/aft location. Would this modification require extraordinary reinforcement to the coach roof? Or would simple backing plates be sufficient? I plan on consulting professionals, but wanted to get an idea of what I'm in for. Thanks in advance for any input!

We had something similar when we got the boat and it was end of life for it. Broken parts....

I got Garhauer to make me one and I added some extra glass at the mounts. Garhauer oversizes most things and these were no different. Mounting plates are huge.

If Garhauer is building it you can be sure its not going to break. They have a 10 yr warranty on all of their stuff. They used to stamp the build year but they don't anymore and I talked to Bill about it at a show and he said yup... pretty much life time warranty.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 22:56   #12

Boat: Hylas 54

Do you have a vang?

If yes, then the traveler is less important.

If no, installing one might be better than lengthening the traveler you have.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 00:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
.....How does the interior of the coach roof look, got room for the backing blocks in there too?.....
Plenty of room, but concealing them may require some finesse.

Quote:
.....As far as hitting the spreader and/or shrouds, can't the boom and sail do that already?.....
Yes, if the sheet is eased enough. I should have added, "....when the boom is directly over the end of the traveler." At that point, the boom is only ~10°-12° off-centerline, the sail nowhere near the shroud.

Quote:
.....You're not really extending the reach of the mainsheet, just the range of the boom that will be controlled by the mainsheet via the traveller and not the vang.
I get that, but since the existing unit requires replacement anyway, why not install a more "conventionally sized" unit? My thinking? That it would help reduce the drama associated with depowering the sails while in a strong blow. Perhaps not, I am neither a naval architect nor professional sailor, so I may be way off.

Anyway, my biggest concern was the mounting...whether a wider traveler would yield performance benefits, not so much. There is a solid boom vang, so sail shape isn't a problem.
Old 14-06-2019, 00:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
Do you have a vang?

If yes, then the traveler is less important.

If no, installing one might be better than lengthening the traveler you have.
Yes. My previous post explains motive.
Old 14-06-2019, 04:31   #15

Boat: Valiant 40

If I were you I would open up your coach roof from below to see what's what. While it's rare for a manufacturer to glass in specific support/reinforcement for the traveller, it does happen.

Other than the fairly static load of being on a beat, I would factor in the forces of an accidental gybe. With a very short traveller these forces are lower. They go up considerably the longer the traveller is if you forget to tighten up the leeward side of the car.

FYI I have a much wider. traveller on my boat, almost 6' wide. In actual practice I think I use the middle 2' of it when going to windward, and the rest of it not at all on any other angle as my vang does that work.

Oh wait, I use it to put the boom all the way to one side when at anchor