Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2023, 05:46   #1

Tent/RV AC units as replacements for marine ac units...(No more water cooling needed)

In another thread I've posted, I'm having trouble with water temperature and a regular, marine, air conditioner, running. Wondering what your thoughts are on this fix?

Only recently it seems like portable air conditioners have suddenly gotten much smaller..

My thoughts are buying this, which funny enough is cheaper than any marine AC out there and is actually the exact same BTU as the AC currently installed in my boat. The pluses to it that I can see is that it should fit in the same compartment and there should be plenty of room for the air hoses to go to the top to and indiscreet location as well as having it hooked up to the built-in ductwork.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That one is 6000 BTU and there is a competitor that is 5100 BTU but, the competitor, has built-in Wi-Fi, which would actually make it perfect for hiding it away behind a panel and never having to touch it or see it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...B3LZ6YFO&psc=1

I would be using all the attachments and I am aware of the intake and exhaust hose used being critical to this working correctly. As an additional bonus, both of these air conditioners apparently can run off of batteries that you can buy for additional cost. I am not planning to run anything off of battery, but it is kind of neat
that you could get at least three hours and up to eight off of one battery. Makes me wonder how much a nice set of house batteries could run it.

Thoughts??
MarinAirNoWorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:47   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Tent/RV AC units as replacements for marine ac units...(No more water cooling nee

You won't be the first to try this. Can certainly be done. Just looks wierd IMO.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:04   #3

Re: Tent/RV AC units as replacements for marine ac units...(No more water cooling nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
You won't be the first to try this. Can certainly be done. Just looks wierd IMO.
My version will have it hidden right where the bill unit goes and the hoses will both be hidden as well. Basically think about what a blower for the engine room vent looks like... Just two of those on the side of the boat above the rub rail somewhere. Keep in mind water never gets above the rub rail as far as salt. Water goes on this boat. Fresh water. It will need some covers to keep out.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:53   #4

Your first link takes me to a water pump not an ac unit.

How about just a free standing AC unit? Put the duct out a port lite when you use it . You dont need it while sailing right?
A 6500 btu cools my small house well enough, not great, on days in the 90's. Living room, kitchen and hall ways.

$250 and up
https://www.amazon.com/Euhomy-Portab...2-63e904010ad0

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:18   #5

Whoops! fixing it now.

Ah you cant edit it. Okay here ya go. 2 Choices of AC

https://www.ecoflow.com/us/wave-2-po...ir-conditioner

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The main thing is, at least, on my boat, it should be able to be hidden, and all that is needed is two hoses going out to somewhere outside. The ductwork for the cold air to go onto the boat is already there, the drip pan is also already there and the sub pump
to pump the considerate out and overboard is already there.

On the plus side for the one in length number one and may be in like number two, you can run it off of 400 W solar panel. Or batteries, or AC

Not sure that I've seen an all in one unit that simply accepts all of those different ways of running it without a ton of work done to the boat. Let me know if you see anything better or comparable!
Old 05-07-2023, 05:12   #6
SVE

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinAirNoWorky View Post
Whoops! fixing it now.

Ah you cant edit it. Okay here ya go. 2 Choices of AC

https://www.ecoflow.com/us/wave-2-po...ir-conditioner
I actually ordered a EcoFlow Wave 2 last month and it's been nothing but issues taking it out of the box. Basically, my unit came DOA... it runs for about 5 minutes and then give an "Error 39" and shuts down. You won't be able to find what "Error 39" means in any of their documentation or online. The troubleshooting steps were to disconnect power, try a firmware update, then contact support if the issue persisted.

Their support is basically non-existent. I tried to call via their 1-800 number and gave up after an hour+ on hold. Emails to their support contact went unanswered. I was finally able to get an agent to create a "case" via the support on the iPhone app. Days with no response on the case, I followed up and was told I could return for a replacement. That's great, but as someone who lives at anchor, it's a very cumbersome solution.

I was looking for a small AC unit to just take the edge off on those scorching days. The Wave 2 kept coming up recommended. I watched multiple reviews and saw very little complaints on the unit so I went for it. After running into support issues and doing some more digging, I'm not the only one that's been having QA issues with the Wave 2 or getting in touch with their support. The company is very good at promoting the positive stories/reviews. After spending $1,700+ on the unit & battery, I'm not impressed.

Sorry for the rant but I wish I read a review like this before I purchased. Also, a few other annoyances I found - The tech specs for the Wave 2 state it can accept AC power 110-220v 50/60Hz, which is true, but the power cable that's included is specifically rated to ONLY 110v/60Hz (at least if ordered in the States). And as far as I can tell, they don't sell a 220v power cable separately. I reached out to support on that as well... dead air. If you want 12v DC power you need to purchase a separate charging cable from the site.

Maybe I just got a lemon and the company did agree to replace it. But so far I find the quality of the Wave 2 and their lack of support after spending a decent amount of money very disappointing.
SVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 15:17   #7

Thank you for the rant man. We need to see more of that out there! I will report back and that's not great to hear about support slowness!!
Old 05-07-2023, 18:05   #8

I got version 1 of this for my van awhile back. It was awkwardly designed and didn't work very well so I just returned it. Pretty disappointing.

I'm sure these things will be feasible someday (soon, I hope) but I don't think they're there yet.
soopad00pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:55   #9

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Moving heat around is an energy-intensive endeavor. The rules of physics impose some pretty firm limits. When a technology has been around as long as air conditioning, changes tend to be evolutionary. Efficiency can be tweaked, but the fundamentals remain.

Put another way, when the sun is beating down on the deck of your boat, it's gonna take some uumpf to get cool.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Moving heat around is an energy-intensive endeavor. The rules of physics impose some pretty firm limits. When a technology has been around as long as air conditioning, changes tend to be evolutionary. Efficiency can be tweaked, but the fundamentals remain.

Put another way, when the sun is beating down on the deck of your boat, it's gonna take some uumpf to get cool.
True, I have a semi permeable "tent" like cover so it cuts the suns heat radiation that hits the top of the boat.. (again it's a smaller boat, not hard to rig it up at all)
Old 14-07-2023, 08:07   #11
SVE

Boat: Lagoon 400

I wanted to revive this thread to follow up on my continuing experience with EcoFlow...

Since my last post I was able to return the unit and... nothing. No responses back from their support. No acknowledgment they received the defective unit (outside of the FedEx tracking). No info on when I'll receive a replacement unit. I can't get through to a live person via phone support. Their last response to me was over 2 weeks ago.

Maybe they make a good product but I can't vouch for that since my Wave 2 literally never worked. I only know their support is horrific. I ended up filing a chargeback via my credit card since I'm now out the money and returned the unit, at their request. Learn from me and avoid this company.
SVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2023, 09:33   #12

I'd sure think twice before ordering that EENOUR unit. I ran its reviews through fakespot.com, and they gave them a big fat "F." I would not base a purchase decision on what these reviewers had to say, as they were likely paid or the reviews were computer generated.

6000 BTU units seem pretty skimpy for an uninsulated boat. I had a 9000 on my 30 foot S2, and it was a bit iffy on really hot days.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EENOUR fakespot grade.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	278175  
bugbitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2023, 10:45   #13
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

I would be skeptical of any claims about how much noise these portable AC units make. I recently bought a portable for my apartment, a studio, around 500 square feet. It cools the apartment all right. But if run at max or medium the noise can drive you out of the room. Only on low is the noise level tolerable. And the maker claimed it was one of the quietest on the market. Fortunately I live in a relative mild climate and it rarely gets to the high 80's F and even more rare are temps in the 90's. But last year we had a couple of weeks with 90's. This is so rare it made the national news. So we bought the AC unit just in case. Right now its in the 80's so we are running it, but on low.
Old 14-07-2023, 11:23   #14

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Per Consumer Reports: Portable and roll around units BTU ratings are not accurate. They are about 1/2 what they claim. Their measurement of BTU's are not the standard measuremnt of BTU's. Don't shoot the messenger.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2023, 17:31   #15

Boat: O'Day 322

I don’t think this is going to work like you hope.

That unit doesn’t even vent the heat outside.

I put a 5000 BTU window AC (120v) in my companionway, and that would not cool my boat during the hot sunny days.

A true marine AC is the best bet. If not that, I would try a free-standing 120v unit that vents the heat outside through vent hoses (that could be vented out a port light). Still won’t be as efficient as a marine unit.

Greg
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, marine, men, replacements, water