Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2020, 08:57   #1

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
Alternator cooling cooling fan

I have a cowl and duct system on our alternator, but saw this recently while surfing the web. Anybody know where you can get a fan assembly like the one on the top left alternator on this Perkins? I thought I might have seen one years ago on an Amel.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9374.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	215001

akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 09:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Alternator cooling cooling fan

There are bunches of aftermarket alternator cooling fans on the market, some with shaft drive and some electric. Try Googling "alternator fan." I imagine buying one from Perkins will cost a bunch more than choosing one of the general market. There's one similar to yours available from Alibaba, but you have to buy ten of them.

Old 13-05-2020, 09:27   #3

I'm amazed there aren't more water cooled alternators out there. BMW used one. I guess it's a solution in need of a problem maybe...
I thought about wrapping a case with soft copper water tubing once, but just too much irregular surface to make it work. It was on my home built diesel alternator system. That alternator got so hot the the whole gen frame got toasty!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DieselGen.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	215002  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 11:03   #4

I have googled the hell out of alternator fans, blowers, water cooling. The fans on alternators are not for enclosed spaces and constant high output heat. 3 nice things about the front mounted blower is:
1. It's not electro-mechanical and wouldn't require a spare
2. It would suck the heat out and straight overboard unlike the cowl, duct, and blower I currently have on the other end of the alternator.
3. It's got to be a lot more efficient than the stamped junk out there.
Old 23-05-2020, 08:09   #5

please be advised your alternator is running backwards--reverse fans are available for most-ask me how I know
CORALSEA TRAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 09:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORALSEA TRAMP View Post
please be advised your alternator is running backwards--reverse fans are available for most-ask me how I know

Itís not my alternator. Itís one I saw on another forum. Iím looking for the blower on the front of it. LOL
Old 24-05-2020, 10:07   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The hot end of an alternator is the back end, due to the diodes being back there, so a fan on the front won’t hurt, but it’s not where the most heat is.

In my opinion a high output small frame alternator is a contradiction in terms, you can have one or the other, not both.
Water cooling should fix that, but that would take an actual new design and manufacture of alternators, where current “manufacturers” don’t manufacture, they modify.
I don’t believe we will see that until or unless automobiles need high output beyond what they currently use, then we will see it.

But then don’t forget your engines limit of power that can be drawn off the front crankshaft without damage, for many Yanmar’s that’s about 100 Amps at 1/2 max RPM, 200 amps if you run at redline.
So for me any talk of high output is pointless as my engine can’t safely handle it, not without exceeding its limit.

Oh, and most alternators have two fans, one on each end, they suck in and blow out the middle. I would assume a stop gap measure would be a more effective fan, surprised there isn’t one, maybe it’s as effective as possible know?
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 11:11   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=a64pilot;

Oh, and most alternators have two fans, one on each end, they suck in and blow out the middle. I would assume a stop gap measure would be a more effective fan, surprised there isnít one, maybe itís as effective as possible know?[/QUOTE]

I've never seen one like that. Where are they used? Aircraft starter generators have a kick ass fan on the back end.
Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 11:22   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe most alternators that have both ends open if that makes sense have dual internal fans, some have a single external fan, but that’s usually older lower output alternators.

Google dual internal fan alternators will come up with many hits, but I’d suspect all marine high output alternators have dual internal fans.

Aircraft starter generators you have to load them to full capacity and monitor the case temp where indicated, the GE generator was unusual as you didn’t monitor case temp, they required x amount of pressure in the duct, we failed the test as I used a NACA inlet duct, cause they look cool, and to keep from having to change the design, I put a scoop on top of that NACA inlet, which of course is stupid, but we were late on Certification as it was, and our Engineer wanted to incorporate the SG cooling duct into the oil cooler scoop, which would have been better, but would have caused a whole lot more flight testing, cause you have changed the oil cooling system too.

So I’m sure to this day that all Thrush S2R-H80 aircraft have a scoop mounted on top of a NACA inlet. I wonder how many think it works better that way

This is what I cobbed up to load up the generator, it’s 8 1,000W aircraft landing lights, we put them in the hopper and had to fill it with water, or they would set the airplane on fire, which meant of course that I had to land with 4,000 lbs of water too.
Sorry for the thread drift.

On edit after some thought, they may have been only 600W lights.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5DB9900B-896C-4028-ACDA-99A38213B0E7.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	215707   Click image for larger version

Name:	5CA5BE04-0DEC-4AC4-9B54-51A0ACC9C055.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	215708  

a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags