Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2023, 02:30   #16

Re: Tent/RV AC units as replacements for marine ac units...(No more water cooling nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanqueray View Post
I don’t think this is going to work like you hope.

That unit doesn’t even vent the heat outside.

I put a 5000 BTU window AC (120v) in my companionway, and that would not cool my boat during the hot sunny days.

A true marine AC is the best bet. If not that, I would try a free-standing 120v unit that vents the heat outside through vent hoses (that could be vented out a port light). Still won’t be as efficient as a marine unit.

Greg
Yes, it does vent the heat outside.

Ive been running it for a couple weeks. It actually DOES work. However there is one issue that I had not considered.

The water continues to get hotter. We are now at 93.2, while the unit is cooling the air and makes it cold enough to sleep. It does not move even close to the same amount of air as the built in AC.

Using some tubes and such you can redirect the cold air to the bedroom, or main room, which works good enough, but with the entire floor "hot" it never gets to that "ice cold" air temp that the built in one does.

So it's a good stop gap, but, a 10k 400 dollar one with dual hoses, would prob do the same thing but move more CFM.

Either way this one is going back, and I'm going to try to figure out how to get the raw water from deeper in the canal as that seems to be the best way to go here.
MarinAirNoWorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 05:22   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Tent/RV AC units as replacements for marine ac units...(No more water cooling nee

Are you saying the water temp in the canal is 93F? Ouch!

I've run a marine unit in the Erie Canal in August. They will work harder in warmer water. I never measured the input temp but I'm quite sure it was nowhere near that.

I've heard of people running an intake hose over the side to get to cooler water below. Obviously you don't want to suck up mud off the bottom, but my guess is it'll make a noticeable difference.

Getting back to the title of this thread, a water source isn't needed for air conditioning on a boat. It's typically chosen because it's more efficient.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 12:42   #18

Boat: 38" Sailboat

So for the Ecoflow 2 I think the error 39 is signifying that the water reservoir is full. It's a bit confusing since it's not supposed to need an external water outlet, though it does say in a low humid environment.

I hooked up an external line on mine and that problem went away, the only bad thing is if you turn it off, it seems to lose your settings, as you have to configure it in the app. Strangely enough it didn't seem drain much water.

It is a little noisy, but it does keep the boat more comfortable, though there hasn't been any super hot weather this year so far.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 13:44   #19

have no problem with the eco flow, it just doesnt produce enough CFM.. fully aware of the draining, etc.. which it is annoying you have to turn on external draining every single time you turn it on..
MarinAirNoWorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 14:12   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVE View Post
I wanted to revive this thread to follow up on my continuing experience with EcoFlow...
Sadly, their Facebook page shows that you are not the only one having problems with EcoFlow products and the support. Really put you off buying anything from them.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, marine, men, replacements, water