Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 08:40   #1

Boat: 1988 Taswell 43 & 1972 Laser
Tall Person's Liveaboard Sailboat?

Recommendations for cruisable liveaboard sailboat for 6'4", or taller human (not just salon, but most of living area).

Tired of whacking my brain on doorways, handholds, etc. Seems as if we need better than 48'. Looking at used Tayana, Island Packet, Passport, Hylas.

Please no guesses on this thread. Would like to hear from 6'4" folks or better, or shipmates that have observed height challenged liveaboard sailors.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Braindamaged
ccwoodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:43   #2

Boat: Gulfstar Sail Master 47
I have a Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster. 6.5 throughout
ASIMPLELIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:51   #3

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
Re: Tall Person's Liveaboard Sailboat?

We have a 36' EndeavourCat. My 6'8" shipmate touches his head a little in the main salon, but it's padded. Well over 7' in the hulls and a little over 6'8" in the cockpit under the bimini. He does have to duck a little under the arch, but you would not.

The need for adequate headroom drove our decision on this boat. We are really happy with the boat overall after two years. It satisfies my needs in a sailboat (I have lived aboard in the past and am the sailor in this partnership) and his headroom needs. Looking forward to living aboard full time post-retirement.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 13:49   #4

Boat: Southcoast 36

No sure if you already are living aboard or are searching.

I am pretty new at this live aboard game and this is our first boat. At 6'5", I was initially obsessed with buying a boat with full headroom. When we were looking, it was hard to get anything under 40' to achieve that and boats that size were beyond or would stretch our budget to buy and then more importantly maintain.

I did some reading on this forum and elsewhere and what we ended up with was a 36' Southcoast. But that is not the point.

I don't have full headroom, probably 6"4 at best, but to be honest, this is not really a problem. Most of the time when down below I am sitting. If we are underway I am not usually down below but if I am, I am not standing bolt upright either so that helps. Sure I bump from time to time but that gets less the more attuned I become to the boat.

I suppose what I am saying is that for me now, there are more important factors than just headrom and that was the advice I gleaned from my research. Headroom is a factor sure, but shouldn't in my opinion be the factor in a purchase decision.

Just my 2c worth.

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 16:52   #5

Boat: Santana 35
Send a message via Skype™ to meeki007

I'm over 6 foot 3 inches and I'm happy in the Santana 35.

It's about 6,3 inside where it counts. The head is about 5,10 but with the foward hatch up I get to look around while taking a leek.

I'd say you don't need it taller than your height but rather that you only.need to hunch a bit.

If your having to bend over so much that your starting to do a squat while walking around that's when yo start banging your noggin.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
meeki007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 17:07   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I'm 6'4.5".

I find my Lippincott 30 works in the areas it has to. They only built about 100, but most are well founded. I would buy it again.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:36   #7

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage

Our Hunter 450 Passage has 6'10" headroom throughout but the bulkhead passageways might get ya.
sugarbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:21   #8

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Another thing we think is as important is having a good bunk that his feet can hang off of. At 6'8", he's not expecting to find a long enough bunk. He hangs off all beds, really. But bunks that have walls on both ends are very uncomfortable for him. Even a 7' bunk is not really enough; you need some room for the pillow.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:43   #9

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Fantasia 35: Boat Review | Cruising World
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:48   #10

I'm 6'3" with a Catalina 42. And, I can stand up straight pretty much everywhere there is standing headroom for anybody. I haven't measure it, but I would think the main salon has 6'8" or so of headroom.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:24   #11

If you're looking for a budget boat, you might consider a Columbia 34 Mk II or Columbia 43. Both are William Tripp Jr. flush deck designs. While not designed as cruising boats both have cruised extensively. Both can usually be found pretty cheap and can be beefed up to cruise. The headroom in the 34 is 7' and the 43 a 6'6". I'm not sure what the headroom is in the 43's head. It might be less than 6'4". Good luck.
Paul Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 15:22   #12

All over standing headroom on a live aboard is essential, you won't crawl at your home either - do you? Look for tall designers, most of their designs have sufficient standing headroom as they have bunks which fit to a tall guy. I am 6'4" too meaning the no of suitable boats is limited. Beside the ones named here already have a look on Cheoy Lee, Formosa, Hardin, Islander, Maple Leaf, Morgan, Nautical Development, Pan Oceanic, Robert Perry, Seafarer, Ta Chiao, Tartan to name only the once built in decent amount. I don't know if you wanna go cruising but these are all great cruising boats.
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 19:56   #13

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

I am 6'3" and we looked at most of the boats at the Annapolis show before buying a new Bavaria Vision 46. The Germans have great headroom, you will be able to stand in all parts of the boat including the shower (most had me crouching). You will also be able to buy a new boat rather than a used version of the ones you are looking at. The boat is a Farr design, it sails great, and has lots of great features for living comfortably aboard. Good luck.
TheWingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 20:47   #14

New boats needs to prove their capabilities first. I agree with Wingman about German designs and would like to add Dutch and Scandinavian boats to the list of suitable boats because all these guys are taller than the average American.
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 20:05   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Gulfstar 47's have great headroom throughout- i have a gulfstar 51 which is a 47 with a 4 foot extension grafted on by the factory-- headroom is outstanding throughout the boat
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, sail, sailboat