Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 00:06   #1

Boat: Colvic Victor 41
Need advise - What boat to get

My partner and I are looking for a liveabord boat. I am new to this so here is what I consider as our "requirements" (my purchasing budget is 50-60 K US$).
We'd love a nice aft cabin with a queen size bed preferably island or "side to side".
Looking at layouts etc' I tend to prefer a Ketch with Center Cockpit, and a plus would be walkthrough rather than walkover.
I feel a 35-37 foot boat would be a little cramped for us, so a 40 and up is better.
I tend to be drawn to full keel boats (no logic behind it) and in terms of ease of use (I am 62 year old) I like an electric windlass and possible a bow thruster (if full keel).
My wife says the access to the fridg is important (so it is not tucked in a corner).
So... I would love to have someone who can take the time to be my "mentor" and respond to my meandering thoughts and ideas. Suggest boat models to search, etc'.
Right now I am fond of a colvic victor 41 that I saw at yachtworld.com .
Thanks!
Kismet3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 21:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Need advise - What boat to get

Howdy!

I like what you like: ketches, walkthrough, center cockpit, among other things.

I have a friendly suggestion.

You should make it clear where you will be looking to purchase and then sail the boat. Some big differences if the boats are in Malaysia or Seattle or Fort Lauderdale or Portsmouth England.

So, where would you likely purchase the boat and where do you plan to sail it?

For example, the ex-charter boat fleets in Croatia ( or anywhere in the Adriatic or Aegean) would be much closer to Israel than a boat located in Nova Scotia, Canada.

For another example, while I see very nice boats in New Zealand, the cost of getting it to me on the East Coast of USA would be prohibitive.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:37   #3

Boat: 1980 Hans Chrstian 38T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet3 View Post
My partner and I are looking for a liveabord boat. I am new to this so here is what I consider as our "requirements" (my purchasing budget is 50-60 K US$).
We'd love a nice aft cabin with a queen size bed preferably island or "side to side".
Looking at layouts etc' I tend to prefer a Ketch with Center Cockpit, and a plus would be walkthrough rather than walkover.
I feel a 35-37 foot boat would be a little cramped for us, so a 40 and up is better.
I tend to be drawn to full keel boats (no logic behind it) and in terms of ease of use (I am 62 year old) I like an electric windlass and possible a bow thruster (if full keel).
My wife says the access to the fridg is important (so it is not tucked in a corner).
So... I would love to have someone who can take the time to be my "mentor" and respond to my meandering thoughts and ideas. Suggest boat models to search, etc'.
Right now I am fond of a colvic victor 41 that I saw at yachtworld.com .
Thanks!
=======================
I am new to this site. How do you start a new thread or post a question? It is not obvious how to.

I have been living aboard for 18 years, currently in Cartagena, Colombia. I have a Hans Christian 38T. t is probably over your budget but I would recommend that you buy a boat that has NO TEAK.

Thanks, Jerry
Thanks,
Jerry
gpoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Cyprus and turkey would be your best bet for finding a suitable blue water boat within your budget,if you are located in Israel.
atoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:02   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoore View Post
=======================
I am new to this site. How do you start a new thread or post a question? It is not obvious how to.

I have been living aboard for 18 years, currently in Cartagena, Colombia. I have a Hans Christian 38T. t is probably over your budget but I would recommend that you buy a boat that has NO TEAK.

Thanks, Jerry
Thanks,
Jerry
Howdy Jerry!

I am relatively new to this site too. I can only give you advice on what seems to work for me. There may be different methods or even better instructions elsewhere.

To answer your question about starting a new thread I suggest this:

FIRST METHOD (Not my favorite)
Click on the "FORUMS" tab at the top of the page of the site (top of page menu bar) and HOLD down the mouse button to get a drop down menu. This will drop down a list of forums in a small box. You can then visit any of those forums by clicking on the name of the forum you wish to see. IF you wish to make a NEW TOPIC then look at the bottom right corner of this drop down menu and you will see a small colored box or BUTTON that says "Start a Discussion." IF you click on that button you open a new page and then have to use another drop down menu to select the appropriate forum in which to start the topic. I find this method cumbersome, so I do not use this method.

SECOND METHOD (My preferred way)
Click on the FORUMS TAB at the top menu bar. This time, instead of holding down my mouse button to get the drop down box, I simply CLICK the tab and a new page opens that shows a LONG LIST of the forums with more text and descriptions of those forums and how many threads are in that forum. I scroll down this list until I find the forum I want to view (or post in).

This second method also shows the latest thread discussion topic (or latest post) for each of the forums over in the right column. I scan down and read those and also look at new forums I have not visited yet.

When I see a forum I want to read or post a topic, I click on the name of that forum and a new page opens with a list of all the recent topics in that forum. At this page, look at the upper LEFT CORNER of the list above the forum name (and list) and you will see an OVAL BUTTON with a sailboat on it, that says NEW THREAD. Click on that button and a new page will open where you can enter your own topic for discussion and type any questions and add photos etc.

When you START A NEW THREAD, make sure you capitalize each word in the title or topic like this: "What Boat Goes Fastest?" That is requested by the forum moderators and helps with the search function (as I understand it).

Want to add photos to a post?
IF you wish to add photos to a post you make, when you get to the page where you can start a new topic, look down the page for the section that says Additional Options, then the section says ATTACH FILES and then the look for Manage Attachments. Click the button on that page that says "MANAGE ATTACHMENTS" and click on it. That then shows you another list of ways to add video clips or images (up to about 6 at a time). Make sure you click the UPLOAD button if you want those photos to be added to your post.

I hope this description helps you and others, and I am sure the forum moderators may have better instructions somewhere if you get lost using mine.

Good luck!
Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 13:18   #6

Boat: 1980 Hans Chrstian 38T

I've been living aboard my Hans Christian 38T for 14 years, now permanently living in Cartagena, Colombia.

My only advice is don 't buy a boat with ANY teak. I ripped the teak off my deck and walkway years ago and filled it inj with resin, bondo and non-skid paint. No more leaks!

Jerry Poore
S/V Pelleas
gpoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 13:31   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Kismet,

You're describing an 41 Islander Freeport in your request....

Low $30k's to high $90k's

1975 Islander Yachts 41 Freeport Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote