Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2022, 06:54   #1

Solar Panel Question

Perhaps someone has had the same issue and knows the answer.

I have two 100W solar panels wired in parallel and run to a PWM solar controller. On a sunny day, I can see that only 2.5 amps is coming into the boats system from the solar panels. If I take my clamp meter to the panels and measure DC amps, one panel is making 2.5 amps and the other is making .05 amps. If I disconnect the "low producing" panel and short it out (plug the panel's positive lead into its negative lead), it now measures 2.5 amps as well. When I reconnect that panel in parallel, it seems to work properly and the entire system is measuring 5 amps (2.5 from each panel). Several days later....same fault will occur and shorting the panel out seem to fix it again.

Any ideas why the panel does this?

Thanks for the help.

Drew
Fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 06:55   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Solar Panel Question

Sounds like you have a bad connection on that panel and the disconnect / reconnect cleans things up just enough for it to work for a few days.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 07:19   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Your panel output seems low for a 100W or 200W total.

Not sure if you have flexible or hard panels, but a typical 100W hard panel should be around 5 amps/each in full sunlight.
What brand of panels do you have or do you have the specs off the back of the panel?

Can you test the short circuit amp output to confirm that each panel meet specs?
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 09:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Your panel output seems low for a 100W or 200W total.

Not sure if you have flexible or hard panels, but a typical 100W hard panel should be around 5 amps/each in full sunlight.
What brand of panels do you have or do you have the specs off the back of the panel?

Can you test the short circuit amp output to confirm that each panel meet specs?
The panel is a Aurinco Compact Panel. It is an odd panel that looks like a thin (flexible) panel that is mounted on an aluminum plate. It is from the factory this way and not a "home grown" solution.

The sticker under the panel reads:

Pmax: 100W
VMPP: 18V - IMPP 5.6A
VOC: 22V - ISC 6.2A
STC: 1000W/m2 - AM 1.5 - 25C

I measured 20.4 V and 3.4 Amps in nearly direct sunlight without any shadows on the panel.

Regards,

Drew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	263060  
Old 18-08-2022, 09:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Sounds like you have a bad connection on that panel and the disconnect / reconnect cleans things up just enough for it to work for a few days.
You think it is a bad connection where the panel plugs into the boat wiring or a bad connection internal to the panel somewhere?

It is definitely a case that disconnect/reconnect seems to reset something. The odd thing is that if I have no amps when the panel is plugged into the system, then when I unplug/short it I get amps and when I plug it back into the boat wiring I have amps. To me, this wouldn't seem to be a connection between the panel and the boat wiring but perhaps something internal to the panel that I am resetting....but I could be wrong.
Old 18-08-2022, 09:16   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbob View Post
You think it is a bad connection where the panel plugs into the boat wiring or a bad connection internal to the panel somewhere?

It is definitely a case that disconnect/reconnect seems to reset something. The odd thing is that if I have no amps when the panel is plugged into the system, then when I unplug/short it I get amps and when I plug it back into the boat wiring I have amps. To me, this wouldn't seem to be a connection between the panel and the boat wiring but perhaps something internal to the panel that I am resetting....but I could be wrong.
I'd consider the connection you're disconnecting / reconnecting to be the first suspect. I'd expect it's making poor contact or has slightly burned contacts and once you've messed with it, it at least temporarily makes better contact.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 13:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'd consider the connection you're disconnecting / reconnecting to be the first suspect. I'd expect it's making poor contact or has slightly burned contacts and once you've messed with it, it at least temporarily makes better contact.
Thanks, I'll change the connectors and hopefully that fixes it.
Old 18-08-2022, 15:49   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbob View Post
The panel is a Aurinco Compact Panel. It is an odd panel that looks like a thin (flexible) panel that is mounted on an aluminum plate. It is from the factory this way and not a "home grown" solution.

The sticker under the panel reads:

Pmax: 100W
VMPP: 18V - IMPP 5.6A
VOC: 22V - ISC 6.2A
STC: 1000W/m2 - AM 1.5 - 25C

I measured 20.4 V and 3.4 Amps in nearly direct sunlight without any shadows on the panel.

Regards,

Drew

With a PWM controller and 20.4 V you are losing a lot of that power. I'd replace it with a MPPT controller.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 16:08   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Solar Panel Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
With a PWM controller and 20.4 V you are losing a lot of that power. I'd replace it with a MPPT controller.

Just be aware that max power point can have upto -0.4% per degree C , so if the panel is hot the Vmp point can be lowered a lot to the points where a mppt controller can do little. This is especially the case with low voltage panels wired in parallel

Victron covers this in a very good write up
And shows for hot cells the advantage can be minimal

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...WM-or-MPPT.pdf

Tags
solar