Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2023, 10:44   #1

Sofa / Loveseat

The Admiral, the romantic one in the crew (of two) isn't getting enough time 'up close and personal' apparently.... My idea of her joining me on daily maintenence tasks, tank filling and engine tinkering isn't answer; she seemed quite certain about that.

As we spend 98% of the time boat purely à deux, she's challenged me to conjuer up a comfortable two person sofa, hopefully where we can put our feet up, she can knit, and I can read one of "all those damn manuals".

So has anyone successfully converted a fairly standard 6/8 seater C shaped diner, into something adaptable for such romance, yet still have a table to feed people around? Happy to reconfigure when we have guests.

16' beam Jeanneau, so not the widest space to play in.

Thanks
Papawads
Papawads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 14:52   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Sofa / Loveseat

Well, it depends on the design of the boat, of course, because sometimes furniture is necessary support for the hull. And with a liner built boat, your options will be limited.

If you look at the plans for a Van De Stadt 47, you will see that they had two chairs, with a cabinet between on the starboard side, where some boats have a settee. On your boat (you don't mention which Jeanneau she is), what is opposite the C shaped dinette? Maybe you could find small reclining chairs that would work.

Honestly, though, it will be better if you guys can learn to live with what you have, save big money, preserve the structural integrity of your boat. Jim and I sit catty corner at our C shape dinette, close enough for touching, if we want, definitely a feeling of parallel activity. Up to you two, of course.

For your good lady wife, my daughter had her knitting needles confiscated before boarding the plane from New Caledonia to the US: they are considered deadly weapons.

Ann
Old 01-05-2023, 15:25   #3

Seems a settee is a "love seat" ? Do you need a foot stool or something?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 15:36   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^^interesting point, Cheechako. Perhaps a couple of pillows could serve as armrests? IF the Jeanneau has a settee across from the dinette.

Ann
Old 01-05-2023, 17:18   #5

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

We are going to fit what is sometimes called a "click clack" sofa, exactly so we can have a decent shareable space.

Easy enough when doing a bare hull refit, maybe harder in a complete boat.

We've settled.on one of the popular Ikea models, it's the right width upright and makes a good double bed for movie nights in the main cabin. (I won't have a TV in the aft cabin.)

Anyway, have a look at the Ikea range. They have lots of sizes to choose from and something may be able to be easily adapted to your needs. Their quality is pretty reasonable too.