Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2023, 11:26   #1

Boat: Moody 425
Senseless bureaucracy Italy

Senseless bureaucracy…almost an oxymoron…

So, we are back in Italy. This time in Catania. Ordered a beautiful Sarca Excel via Jimmy Green. Great supplier.

Of course, since Brexit (you over the pond friends regretting it yet?) Italy import is 100 times more complicated. I need a fiscal code! Of course I don’t. No problem DHL says: just give us your Italian friend’s fiscal code and we’ll deliver. (Though still threatening to send it back to UK if we can’t). Anyway, contacted in panic someone currently helping us with the rigging who promptly prepared a rather standard email (it appears to be a common issue) and I just forwarded it to DHL.

What a useless and senseless bureaucracy this is. Come on, Italy, wake up! We are in the 21st century for a while now!

Moments like this make me wish it was Italexit instead of Brexit.

I just wanted to rant.
Old 11-07-2023, 13:12   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Senseless bureaucracy Italy

Is the problem with Italy, or with Brexit? It would seem likely you would you have had the same problem anywhere in the EU.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 13:23   #3

No, I wouldn’t need a “fiscal code”. This seems something special for anyone visiting Italy. Tourists are advised to get a fiscal code via the embassy prior visiting Italy. Seems odd to me.

Strangely, back in April I ordered other stuff via Jimmy Green and after explaining I was an EU citizen and a visitor to Italy the goods were released without a ‘fiscal code’. It seems to me that the rules are not strictly adhered to or are not taken very seriously unless you deal with a ‘bureaucrat’ as I have now?…

Without Brexit it would have been an intracommunity delivery without this hassle. But that is another story….

unfortunately, I will think twice ordering again from Jimmy. At least in Italy. A loss for Italy due to less taxes.
Old 11-07-2023, 13:31   #4

In comparison: I lived 6 years in Czech Republic buying stuff in UK without any issues (after Brexit). Of course I had to pay VAT and duty but no administrative mess. Before that 10 years in Singapore. Ordering and getting delivered in SG was a breeze. No one had a &@£&@ fiscal code. And you certainly wouldn’t want to mess around with your ‘friends’ tax info.
Old 11-07-2023, 13:35   #5

In comparison. I lived 6 years in Czech Republic ordering stuff from UK without any issues. Just payed VAT and duty. Before that 10 years in Singapore ordering stuff from abroad. Never had any issues. And you wouldnt dare to use someone elses tax information! It is just a bureaucratic stupid rule that is circumvented easily. What is the point?!
Old 11-07-2023, 13:55   #6

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Italy was the only country in Europe where I was asked for a bribe by customs.

They had a habit of going ship to ship La Spezia in the middle of the night making up violations.

They were easy to spot, not too many customs officer dress like admirals of the Swiss navy.

Haven't set foot in Italy in 42 years, and I can fly there for free.

Nice to hear things have not changed much.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 14:07   #7

No, I guess not much has changed. It still needs EU support. Malta in comparison is much better organized and cleaner then here in Sicily.

One of the reasons why I am against expanding the EU to Turkey and Ukraine. Rampant corruption.
Old 11-07-2023, 19:49   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

So much bad mouthing of a whole country simply because of one episode seems a bit too much, no? Italy is beautiful, don’t let this nuisance ruin your overall experience.
Fair winds (to another country, if you really don’t like where you are [emoji6])

Tags
Italy