Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2017, 14:31   #16

Boat: Beneteau 323
Re: Security

Recently, we were tied up at Laurieton free dock. I left my favorite sandals on the dock as I went below. A puppy came by and took one of them. Two days later we found it on a sand hill in a nearby park. Don't leave your sandals on a dock.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 14:36   #17

This is a pretty comprehensive take on what can be done if money is no object:

A lot of their advice is solid for sailors of every budget though.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 16:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by svseachange View Post
Recently, we were tied up at Laurieton free dock. I left my favorite sandals on the dock as I went below. A puppy came by and took one of them. Two days later we found it on a sand hill in a nearby park. Don't leave your sandals on a dock.
This is exactly what I am worried about. I love my sandals.
Ragnar Lothbrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 01:16   #19

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

The only time I've had things stolen from my boat was when it was on the hard. For years I carried a very expensive looking but broken camera and left it sitting out whenever I left the boat. I figured a would-be thief would grab it and run. PS make sure you watch the Thalas video to the end.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 03:32   #20

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Once you leave the US, there are places where deadly force is not legal to protect property.
Deadly force is not legal anywhere the U.S. to protect property. It is, however, legal anywhere in the U.S. to protect your life from a thief willing to do you great bodily harm or kill you for your property. As it well should be in the rest of the world.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 05:40   #21
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Without a "where" it's a bit like asking - Does it rain much?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 05:47   #22

I actually work in Electronics Security so I have a wee bit of experience with security---electronics side as well as prior military.

Anyway, has anyone utilized onboard security monitoring using dvr recording?

Also, trail cameras are a cheap alternative to cctv. How about a burglar alarm system?

I have installed and inspected burglar alarm systems for big companies but I've never thought​about applying this to vessels.

Any thoughts?

Personally, when my wife and I buy ours---waaaay on down the road---I will be considering installing some sort of alarm system and my monitoring. Just another precaution to protecting life and property.

For what it's worth.
blong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 05:47   #23

Boat: 1996 Beneteau 44

I make my stuff look bad. Paint outboard like is has been in afire. I like the idea of leave some crappie stuff out for the robbers.
Dakota881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 05:59   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota881 View Post
I make my stuff look bad. Paint outboard like is has been in afire. I like the idea of leave some crappie stuff out for the robbers.

Bet the rest of the boaters around you like that.
Old 17-05-2017, 07:03   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Bet the rest of the boaters around you like that.
Wow, I didn't know there was a dress code. As far as I'm concerned, any aesthetics that cost money are not worth the money. A fancy paint job on top doesn't make the boat sail any better. I'm gonna upset my neighbors...

I haven't washed my 2005 truck since I bought it new. Still runs great.
Old 17-05-2017, 07:23   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota881 View Post
I make my stuff look bad. Paint outboard like is has been in afire.
I just can't bring myself to mutilate nice things. I am trying something different, I have a 6 HP Suzuki sticker that I will replace the 20 HP sticker with.
I hope two things,
1. a 6 HP is less theft worthy
2. Thieves are stupid enough to think it is just a big 6 HP engine
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 07:25   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Deadly force is not legal anywhere the U.S. to protect property. It is, however, legal anywhere in the U.S. to protect your life from a thief willing to do you great bodily harm or kill you for your property. As it well should be in the rest of the world.
Not to get into a gun/deadly force debate, but this is simply not true. Colorado, Nevada, North Dakota and Texas (possibly others) allow deadly force in protection of your property in regards to your abode. You can't shoot someone stealing your iPhone at the restaurant, but you can shoot someone trying to get out of your house with your iPhone.

Several countries (Australia, England and possibly others) also allow it.

The key is to know the laws. You can find good references by looking up the "Castle Doctrine".
leboyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 07:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
Not to get into a gun/deadly force debate, but this is simply not true. Colorado, Nevada, North Dakota and Texas (possibly others) allow deadly force in protection of your property in regards to your abode. You can't shoot someone stealing your iPhone at the restaurant, but you can shoot someone trying to get out of your house with your iPhone.

The key is to know the laws. You can find good references by looking up the "Castle Doctrine".
Yeah, and anytime I am willing to face a Texas jury if I shoot someone breaking into my house.
Ragnar Lothbrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 07:52   #29

Paint your outboard black and put Mercury stickers on it, best anti-theft device I have found.
Flawoodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 07:58   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post

You are misunderstanding or misinterpreting the reasoning behind the laws. If someone is breaking into your unattended parked car, you think those states allow you to shoot the guy in the head? No, they do not.

The reason you can shoot a guy in your home (castle) or your car (extension of your castle) if you are in it, is because the assumption is that when you enter someone's dwelling, you are most likely prepared to do them violence when you are confronted. This has nothing to do with PROPERTY, other than you are in a dwelling. You put a bullet in someone anywhere in the country and you will have to explain how you were in fear of your life. Which is very easy to articulate, if true...

Tags
security