Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 16:04   #1

Port of the Islands Marina

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with "Port of the Islands Marina" near Naples Florida. Seems it is about 6 miles inland in the Glades and has a mean low tide of about 4.5 feet at the low point in the harbor which means access at high tide. They say they have had "no problem" with up to 40 foot sloops which have about a 5.5 draft. Seems like a lot of risk but the price for slips is great and a gorgeous facility. Prices are around $350 for 35 feet per month all utility, pool, and shower inclusive.
fullafrisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 20:47   #2

I Live on Isle of Capri

Right off Marco Island

My first post!

I can tell you the mosquitos and sand flies (no see ums) are absolutely vicious there. You'll lose a quart of blood daily. At first the sand flies will tear you apart but after a year or two your skin becomes accustomed to them somehow - probably through scarring - and they won't be as bad.

The people are very nice, if not a little elderly. Port of the Isle...actually, Everglades City is the County Seat and long ago was thought to be the future mecca of the area. Flooding ruined all that and Naples became the more poplular destination. It gives the area a ghost town like "Shining" feel to it, like it was once really something but everyone has deserted it except for the hard few that still remain. Of course, illicit drug running in the area and the fact that 80% of the locals had gotten caught and done time may add to some of that "charm".

The fishing is world class. The snook, redfish, tarpon, trout, etc just can't be matched anywhere else you go and you'll be ruined. Going through the 10,000 Islands is an amazing adventure but should be done by only those with a current knowledge of the waters if you get off the beaten path unless you're in a skiff.

There's a ton of history in the area. The Rod and Gun Club in Everglades City has housed past presidents and historically important people and looks much the same today as it did back in the twenties. Ed Watson (the supposed murderer of Belle Starr) was shot to death on the shores at Ted Smallwood's store in Chokoloskee, and there are numerous stories of the old alligator poachers if you can get anyone to tell you about them.

I can't really tell you about living aboard there, but I hope what I know helps you out a little. I own a gunshop in Naples, (century-arms.com) and am thinking about living aboard in about a year. If you find anything out more about living aboard in the area keep me posted. I'd love to live on the island I'm on but I don't think there's any provisions for that.
LeeVanSpleef is offline   Reply With Quote