Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2024, 08:28   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
... of no fixed abode (aboard!) ... what is my address?!

As we embark on his new life, one in which an address and phone number are required for transactions, especially and including online banking... WHAT do you do?! What solutions are there for receiving the odd letter and especially, with SIMs changing from country to country, online payment and banking verification issues?!
:thankx:
Lo-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 08:38   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: ... of no fixed abode (aboard!) ... what is my address?!

Friends and family first. However, there are mail forwarding services.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:01   #3

We have been doing this for a very long time. Our solution:

We use St Brendans Isle Mail (SBI) service in Green Cove Springs, Florida. They have 10,000 customers, and do what they do very well. DO NOT ask a friend or relative to do this for you, it can be a huge amount of work, and dealing with international shipping can be a bit specialized. If you like, SBI can help you establish Florida residency and drivers license at their address using your Florida registered boat as your domicile. If you have questions, just ask them. They are really experts at this, and Florida has no state income tax. Check their website for a full description of how it works.

Phone: I have a Google FI account that gives me all the voice and SMS connection I need at the lowest plan pricing essentially all over the world. This keeps a constant voice number for banking, etc.

Data: Our world changed here when we added starlink. My GoogleFi phone plan allows calling over wifi, which means I don't even really need a local SIM card anymore in most places, I don't usually feel the need for a data connection while I am exploring a tropical island

If I really need local data connection, my phone supports two SIM cards, so I can keep my voice connection on my US phone number, and get data with an inexpensive data only SIM card in the second slot.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:58   #4

1) Everything needs to go paperless.

2) Configure everything to E-Bill with your bank

3) Everything but credit cards (cell phone, insurance, etc) need to go on auto-pay.

4) Set-up everything else to go to a mail forwarder or family.

NOTE: You really have to trust family. I can tell you that for the first two years, I had mail going to my brother. Vehicle registration lapsed, Boat insurance lapsed and was dropped (during the entirety of an 11 week cruise), Drivers license expired. I found out when he forwarded me a box of mail.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:04   #5

Hi Shrew,

Many thanks for this! Amazing what you experienced... I am having similar issues right now with my brother who finds the odd letter once a month 'too much trouble'... even more reason to cultivate respect and oneness with all who go with this vibe.
I will sort this out, of that I am sure. Systems across the world are very different... all to keep us on our toes it seems!
i will certainly look into the paperless thing with the bank.
Take care!
Old 02-02-2024, 10:22   #6

So how do you tell your bank, your address is a mailbox?
Old 02-02-2024, 18:03   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Generally, the bank will accept your address change to you at the numerical address given you by the mail service. I saw from your meets & greets that you are based in England. I'd search on mail services there. You'll get an address like 519 Drury Lane, #700, then a typical complete address for the area.

If you're able to set up Zoom or similar meetings with the principals, that will really smooth things along. I would also do it from time to time with the mail service folks, because if you ever have problems along the way, human face recognition can really speed events along! And, it's one less thing (all those passwords! eeek!) to have to remember.

Ann
Old 02-02-2024, 18:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Ray View Post
So how do you tell your bank, your address is a mailbox?
Use their bank deposit box as the address.

Not having a permanent domicile address definitely complicates many aspects such as banking, income taxes, voting registration, financing, visa processing, jury duty, driver's licenses, credit cards, social benefits, insurance of all types, sales & use taxation, VAT, liens, mortgages, pensions, etc.

A mailing receipt and forwarding address is not a domicile nor does it provide for establishing legal residency or legal jurisdiction such as State law matters [taxation, divorce, probate of estate settlement, bankruptcy, etc.]

Each issue is its own distinct matter and there is no general rule.

By way of example, in Florida, a Declaration of Domicile is a starting point for one of the type of document needed for obtaining a driver's license or State ID. Reference to the document for Miami Dade County:

https://www.miamidadeclerk.gov/libra...er/578-Web.pdf

Note the last line of the document.

Totally agree as to the recommendations to not use family and friends as proxy addresses and document receiving agents. Their home in not yours. Your burden should not become theirs and there are many stories of the mail and notices not being forwarded promptly with major impact, such as insurance on vessels, or health being cancelled, bills not being paid, jury or legal summons not being dealt with, etc.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 19:00   #9

Florida:

You may be considered a resident of Florida when you:

Have started employment or engaged in a trade, profession, or occupation in this state.
Have enrolled your children in the public schools of this state.
Have registered to vote in this state.
Have filed for homestead tax exemption on property in this state.
Have lived in this state for a period of more than six consecutive months.

Obligations:
As a new Florida resident, you must obtain a valid Florida driver license within 30 days of establishing residency to drive on Florida roads. In addition, you must obtain insurance from a Florida insurance agent that is licensed to sell insurance in Florida in order to title and register your vehicle(s), vessel(s), and mobile home(s) within 10 days of establishing residency.

TAXATION AND FINANCE
Florida Statutes, Chapter 196
[Property Tax; homestead exemption]

196.015 Permanent residency; factual determination by property appraiser. — Intention to establish a permanent residence in this state is a factual determination to be made, in the first instance, by the property appraiser.

Although any one factor is not conclusive of the establishment or nonestablishment of permanent residence, the following are relevant factors that may be considered by the property appraiser in making his or her determination as to the intent of a person claiming a homestead exemption to establish a permanent residence in this state:

(1) A formal declaration of domicile by the applicant recorded in the public records of the county in which the exemption is being sought.

(2) Evidence of the location where the applicant's dependent children are registered for school.

(3) The place of employment of the applicant.

(4) The previous permanent residency by the applicant in a state other than Florida or in another country and the date non-Florida residency was terminated.

(5) Proof of voter registration in this state with the voter information card address of the applicant, or other official correspondence from the supervisor of elections providing proof of voter registration, matching the address of the physical location where the exemption is being sought.

(6) A valid Florida driver's license issued under s. 322.18 or a valid Florida identification card issued under s. 322.051 and evidence of relinquishment of driver's licenses from any other states.

(7) Issuance of a Florida license tag on any motor vehicle owned by the applicant.

(8) The address as listed on federal income tax returns filed by the applicant.

(9) The location where the applicant's bank statements and checking accounts are registered.

(10) Proof of payment for utilities at the property for which permanent residency is being claimed.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 19:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Use their bank deposit box as the address.

Not having a permanent domicile address definitely complicates many aspects such as banking, income taxes, voting registration, financing, visa processing, jury duty, driver's licenses, credit cards, social benefits, insurance of all types, sales & use taxation, VAT, etc.

A mailing receipt and forwarding address is not a domicile nor does it provide for establishing legal residency or legal jurisdiction such as State law matters [taxation, divorce, probate of estate settlement, bankruptcy, etc.]

Each issue is its own distinct matter and there is no general rule.

By way of example, in Florida, a Declaration of Domicile is a starting point for one of the type of document needed for obtaining a driver's license or State ID. Reference to the document for Miami Dade County:

https://www.miamidadeclerk.gov/libra...er/578-Web.pdf

Note the last line of the document.

Totally agree as to the recommendations to not use family and friends as proxy addresses and document receiving agents. Their home in not yours. Your burden should not become theirs and there are many stories of the mail and notices not being forwarded promptly with major impact, such as insurance on vessels, or health being cancelled, bills not being paid, jury or legal summons not being dealt with, etc.
Florida has an unusual arrangement. You can use a Florida registered boat or RV as your domicile--no matter where it is. You then use a mail service address as your residence address. Very handy for cruisers.

This really has not been a "complication" for us. Occasionally one of our credit cards or banks does an audit to comply with federal laws, and "discovers"--to their horror--that our mailing address is a mail service, and they demand to know a physical address to comply with federal law. They demand an answer... or else...something awful will happen. We do not have a permanent physical address. We ignore the request.

The bank forgets about it, because they really do not really care and the federal government doesn't care enough to actually check on it. Everybody is happy at the end of the day. All kind of a silly Kabuki theater play.

This insanity has been going on and off for 15 years with multiple banks and credit cards. It used to bother me, but once i realized that NOBODY ever followed up, I relaxed and just paid no more attention. It's been a while since it has popped up. Maybe the Feds realized it was a silly rule and changed it? Naaah, not likely.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 20:47   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

Our solution is to have the same physical address as a relative. And to have them handle our limited physical mail. It's really not a problem these days. We get very little snail-mail, and what comes in can easily be scanned and emailed. The very few physical items (updated credit cards mainly) are few are far between, and we can always figure a way to have them shipped to us.

For a permanent phone number, we have a VOIP service which allows us to maintain a home phone number (in the same area code as our physical address), while accessing it anywhere we can get on the Internet.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:46   #12

Boat: Finnsailer 38

In my experience you can eliminate about 95% of paper mail easily, but there are a few things that must be mailed here in the USA. For example, your annual Coast Guard documentation, dinghy registration (often every year or two), new credit cards, paper checks (yes they are occasionally needed), a new driver's license, paperwork for financial transactions like opening a CD or a new account, etc. Everything goes much easier if you have a real street address somewhere to call "home" even if you are never there. Since we receive so little important mail I find it not worth paying for the excellent service of St. Brendan's Isle, but instead use the address of a trusted relative. One reason to use a relative is that I like to give them some limited financial control over some accounts for the occasion when you are in need of transferring a large lump of money or something that just can't be done online or over the phone. Most of these things can be done remotely, but not all, and it is handy to have a backup when you receive a bill at "home" that can only be paid by a check and must be delivered to say city hall by such and such a date. Has happened to me! If you have that legitimate "home" address it can also be used for your driver's license, taxes, boat documentation, etc. Having everything match up with one real street address saves a lot of hassle. For example, to get a Real ID driver's license you need to provide proofs of your residence address, and in most states mail delivery services will not be accepted.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:38   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Agreed Kettlewell. As long as you have a trusted relative, or friend, it works out great. I suppose if you don't, then one of these services like Brendan's is the way to go. I've also heard about people using their home marina as an address, although I suspect that could become problematic if the authorities ever looked closely.

It's unfortunate that governments and financial institutions hate homeless people so much. Otherwise, we wouldn't have to worry about all this stuff. But as it is, you need a "home" address for all the legal and financial demands of modern life.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:49   #14

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I've also heard about people using their home marina as an address, although I suspect that could become problematic if the authorities ever looked closely.
Most services that require a real "home" address have whatever address you provide automatically checked, and that service contains every "real" address in the USA. It tells the system instantly if it is a mailing service, marina, business, or residential address. Sure, sometimes there are workarounds, or some bank or other entity might look the other way, but if you have a real residence address to begin with things will be easier. Homeless people encounter this problem all the time, but can sometimes use the address of a shelter for their residence address. Personally, I've never encountered a marina I would trust with any important correspondence, even if the authorities would accept it as your "home" address. Do you really want your credit cards, driver's license, and passport mailed to a marina?
Old 03-02-2024, 07:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Ray View Post
As we embark on his new life, one in which an address and phone number are required for transactions, especially and including online banking... WHAT do you do?! What solutions are there for receiving the odd letter and especially, with SIMs changing from country to country, online payment and banking verification issues?!
:thankx:
From a used to be in UK perspective it's new bank card & driving license, stuff like that which needs an address. I'm lucky in having a family address for that. Then on the occasion trips back I look at the little mail there is and throw it out. Don't need to see any of it, everything is online. Revolut is great for day to day finance, exchange rates as good as you get & you can create accounts in hundreds of currencies so pay by card in euros or whatever, also good as you can make a virtual debit card if you want to pay somewhere you don't trust then delete the card. Transferring from a my UK current account is free and instant.

Mobile phone number is vital, I use a gifgaff sim card with my long term number for bank etc code sms's on a dual sim phone & local sim for data.

Then check accounts agains the app every day, actually for the first time I can remember some money went out of paypal which wasn't me. Told them & was refunded with an hour or so.

"of no fixed abode (aboard!)" - don't tell the SSR! ��
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote