Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2024, 21:37   #1

Boat: Tiara 3100
Liveaboard Rookies looking for a place to Live

My wife and I are Empty Nesters, we are currently looking a marina to live in. We currently have a 25ft Wellcraft that we keep in Clearwater Fla, and a Tiara 3100 that we keep in Maryland. The Liveaboard boat will more than likely be a 50-70ft. Hatteras MY. I'm retired military, and my wife works remote. We can literally live anywhere from the mouth of the Chesapeake to the gulf side of Florida. Where are all the good spots?

Thanks, in advance.
Boat junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 05:49   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 43T Telstar keel
Re: Liveaboard Rookies looking for a place to Live

My experience... Stop using the term live aboard when talking to marinas. It is a dirty word. You are looking for a transient slip. Find a marina that has a place for 2-3 months. After being there for a month or two you will better know the marina and be able to feel-out how they deal with live aboard folks.

Accept the fact you may bounce around a few times before ending up someplace that will work. Most marinas have so called "live aboard people" but they are people who have proven themselves to the marina owners / management and have earned the privileged. Do not think for a minute that a marina is going to allow you to become an immediate live aboard without you proving yourself.

Just my $0.02
CharmCityBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 09:15   #3

Boat: Tiara 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmCityBoater View Post
My experience... Stop using the term live aboard when talking to marinas. It is a dirty word. You are looking for a transient slip. Find a marina that has a place for 2-3 months. After being there for a month or two you will better know the marina and be able to feel-out how they deal with live aboard folks.

Accept the fact you may bounce around a few times before ending up someplace that will work. Most marinas have so called "live aboard people" but they are people who have proven themselves to the marina owners / management and have earned the privileged. Do not think for a minute that a marina is going to allow you to become an immediate live aboard without you proving yourself.

Just my $0.02
Thanks
Boat junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 14:11   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

CharmCityBoater is so right. Boat Junkie there are so many unspoken socially acceptable traits you learn growing up. It's not until you start living in a marina or campground that you realise not everyone was taught the same things. I still can't believe our marina had to put up a sign saying no washing dogs in the shower. It's those sorts of things and others that makes marinas audition their live aboards.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2024, 04:57   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Many towns and cities have ordinances prohibiting "liveaboards". Also, many marinas have a clause in their operating permit from the local government prohibiting "liveaboards". You will do better referring to you and your wife as "full time cruisers".

That said, if you can truly live anywhere, why would you want to tie yourself down to a single place? The advantage of a boat is, you can untie it whenever you want and move a few miles or a few states away.

So what are the best places? It depends on what you and your wife like (and what you can afford). Certainly, the FL Keys are nice. I personally enjoyed the Gulf Coast of FL, but the Chesapeake Bay has great cruising opportunities in the warm seasons.
Old 14-02-2024, 06:02   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

I have cruised up and down both sides of Florida. There are no "best" spots, just different ones. The only true reason to live on a boat is not to stay in a spot, but to journey to different ones. So just look up places to visit in Florida and then look for a place there to be able to park the boat till you are ready to move to the next

Tags
liveaboard