Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2023, 11:33   #1

Newbie and new boat in Florida. Tips for Chesapeake transit+anchoring along the way?

Hi everyone!

Newbie sailor and boat owner here. Just got a nice deal on a Cabo Rico 36 ketch in the Florida panhandle, and I’m just wondering about route planning (and general advice) for a trip north so I can get her to the Chesapeake by around August, to avoid hurricanes.

I took my ASA 101 along with a few boat maintenance classes (outboards, electric, rigging etc etc) but I’m still very new to the actual boat handling side of things. I’m wondering what’s the minimum amount of practice with docking, anchoring, etc yall would recommend before I attempt the trip north?

Vessel is sitting in Carabelle, FL but I won’t be able to get to her till first week of June…hoping that’s not too late to start the trip. I’ve heard there are frequent scary summer thunderstorms in the Gulf and I’m assuming it gets worse as summer progresses.

I’m considering hiring a captain to show me the ropes and assist with getting her to the Tampa Bay Area. Figured I could spend a week or two sailing and anchoring in the Tampa bay to get more comfortable with things, plus I’m just curious about the community there. I know it quite difficult to find liveaboard marinas but how’s the anchoring situation in the Tampa bay in terms of availability and ease of access for a newbie?

From Tampa bay I’m hoping to find friends/volunteers to help me get her further north. I suppose I’ll use the “crew finders” group on Facebook and this forum. I’m assuming we’ll want to go through the Okeechobee Waterway to save time but I’m open to other recommendations.

And then from there I guess I’ll just take the ICW all the way up, or again find a competent captain or crew to teach me how to do the offshore parts. I’m assuming going offshore for some portion of it will also save time and money.

I work remotely and plan on getting Starlink setup so I can work along the way. For the entire route I’m basically trying factor in some learning opportunities, like aiming for areas to practice boat handling and sailing skills, and also keeping mindful of speed and cost (keeping a good pace but moving leisurely enough to be enjoyable, and also avoiding marinas as much as possible).

Open to any advice and thanks in advance!
carl_dzinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:49   #2

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Newbie and new boat in Florida. Tips for Chesapeake transit+anchoring along the w

Check draft/air draft through Okeechobee.

Get AquaMap for your phone. I am a big skeptic of smart phones for navigation (a chart plotter is the right tool for the job), but AquaMap has the USACE surveys of the ICW and they should be a huge benefit.

Where are you ending on the Chesapeake?
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:17   #3

Re: Newbie and new boat in Florida. Tips for Chesapeake transit+anchoring along the w

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Check draft/air draft through Okeechobee.

Get AquaMap for your phone. I am a big skeptic of smart phones for navigation (a chart plotter is the right tool for the job), but AquaMap has the USACE surveys of the ICW and they should be a huge benefit.

Where are you ending on the Chesapeake?
I have dimensions for all the rigging and whatnot so I’ll have to double check the mast height but I think it’s 50-something. Thanks for the tip!

And I’m aiming for the Annapolis area because I’ve heard it’s easy to live in anchor there (please correct me if I’m wrong), and since it’s a sailing town I’d also let to meet some sailing friends, practice sailing, and take more maintenance classes at the seamanship school.

Once November rolls around the plan is to head back south towards the Bahamas. I’d like to use the trip north as a skill/confidence builder to be better equipped for the Bahamas and maybe further afield this upcoming winter.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:34   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

This time of the year, the weather is usually fairly settled offshore and winds mostly out of the SE quadrant. Additionally, the Cabo Rico is a nice boat and will have no trouble going offshore. If you have hired a captain, he will almost certainly want to go offshore.
My recommendations would be to go around the Keys and head north. Catch the Gulf Stream for some added boost.
You could do it in one hop...but if rounding Cape Hatteras gives you the shudders duck in just south of there and take the ICW up to to the Chesapeake.
There are numerous inlets along the way should you want to duck in somewhere.
Taking the ICW route could easily take a month, whereas, going offshore about a week.
Hands down, my recommendation.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
This time of the year, the weather is usually fairly settled offshore and winds mostly out of the SE quadrant. Additionally, the Cabo Rico is a nice boat and will have no trouble going offshore. If you have hired a captain, he will almost certainly want to go offshore.
My recommendations would be to go around the Keys and head north. Catch the Gulf Stream for some added boost.
You could do it in one hop...but if rounding Cape Hatteras gives you the shudders duck in just south of there and take the ICW up to to the Chesapeake.
There are numerous inlets along the way should you want to duck in somewhere.
Taking the ICW route could easily take a month, whereas, going offshore about a week.
Hands down, my recommendation.
Wow I didn’t know there is such a dramatic time difference between ICW and the offshore route you described. Based on what you’re saying I’ll take a much closer look at the offshore option, maybe splitting it up and of course finding/hiring help along the way. Going towards the Keys is appealing for other reasons too, thanks so much for the advice ⛵️⛵️⛵️
Old 05-05-2023, 13:10   #6
Marine Service Provider

On the ICW, you can pretty much only travel during the day....going offshore, you can keep going at night, On the ICW you will be under power the whole time. I guarantee you, you will become sick of hearing that engine running all the time. A day's run on the ICW might get you 60 odd miles, on average, going off shore, will be double that.

On the ICW, you will need someone on the wheel every second, going offshore, let the autopilot do the work,
Etc, etc, etc....
You don't need to be far offshore, unless you want to make a straight shot at it. It's worth your while to ride the Gulf Stream current, this will give you an extra 2-3 knots of speed. Round about north Florida, the GS will be around around 70-80 miles off shore, you can start heading back in towards the coast then. It really is a piece of cake. You will likely be able to sail most of it. It will require crew or a captain. Two people can manage it, three is better.

My final piece of advice to you. Become a Boat/US member, no ifs, ands or buts about it. It's the cheapest insurance you can buy. If you have a problem anywhere, call them on the vhf.....they'll come help you. They will even go offshore to help you. Seatow offers a similar deal, google them to see which sounds the most appealing to you.
Old 05-05-2023, 13:23   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

Niiiiiiiice boat! Congrats.

Nothing beats learning by doing. So first and foremost, go out and sail your boat.

Short trips, long trips, day trips. It all adds up to invaluable experience.

And, truth be told, you will never stop learning. There isn't an honest sailor out there, regardless of experience, who can say they know everything about everything when it comes to boating. (There are those who think they know everything. But that's a whole other topic....LOL).

IMO planning will be your biggest challenge and most important task. Carefully plan each leg of your trip. Have a plan "A", "B" and "C" for each day in case the unexpected happens. Because it will.

Watch the weather carefully and frequently. Weather will be your biggest obstacle from a safety and a comfort perspective.

Learn how to use the "tide" function on your navigation devices. Tides can get you into trouble and tides can get you out of trouble. But they will always have some effect on your travels so always be aware of the tides where you are at any point along your route and also at your destination.

Lastly, the Waterway Guide is one very good resource for coastal cruising from Texas all the way to Maine, plus the Great Lakes. Lots of important information, like what channel the bridge operator can be hailed on, what the dockside depths are at marinas, what inlets are easily navigable and which ones to avoid, and much, much more really good info. I highly recommend it.

Once again, congrats. Good luck and fair winds!

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 13:24   #8
toi

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49i Perf

Good luck! I would just say take as much time as you can learning the boat and fixing the little and big stuff for the first few months. Hopefully you'll have a chance to enjoy the Carabelle area for a little while before heading south.
toi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 13:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
On the ICW, you can pretty much only travel during the day....going offshore, you can keep going at night, On the ICW you will be under power the whole time. I guarantee you, you will become sick of hearing that engine running all the time. A day's run on the ICW might get you 60 odd miles, on average, going off shore, will be double that.

On the ICW, you will need someone on the wheel every second, going offshore, let the autopilot do the work,
Etc, etc, etc....
You don't need to be far offshore, unless you want to make a straight shot at it. It's worth your while to ride the Gulf Stream current, this will give you an extra 2-3 knots of speed. Round about north Florida, the GS will be around around 70-80 miles off shore, you can start heading back in towards the coast then. It really is a piece of cake. You will likely be able to sail most of it. It will require crew or a captain. Two people can manage it, three is better.

My final piece of advice to you. Become a Boat/US member, no ifs, ands or buts about it. It's the cheapest insurance you can buy. If you have a problem anywhere, call them on the vhf.....they'll come help you. They will even go offshore to help you. Seatow offers a similar deal, google them to see which sounds the most appealing to you.
Ok, I’m surprised I didn’t think of this already but the constant management of the helm on the ICW is another strike against that route, because if I’m working remotely while we’re moving it’ll probably be a huge hassle to essentially “drive it down the highway” and work at the same time. I don’t have any kind of self steering at the moment so getting something installed before the trip will be a priority then.

A Boat/US membership before we shove off sounds like an excellent idea too, and I appreciate your insights about the Gulf Stream…I needed that pep talk lol - Thank you sir
Old 05-05-2023, 13:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
Niiiiiiiice boat! Congrats.

Nothing beats learning by doing. So first and foremost, go out and sail your boat.

Short trips, long trips, day trips. It all adds up to invaluable experience.

And, truth be told, you will never stop learning. There isn't an honest sailor out there, regardless of experience, who can say they know everything about everything when it comes to boating. (There are those who think they know everything. But that's a whole other topic....LOL).

IMO planning will be your biggest challenge and most important task. Carefully plan each leg of your trip. Have a plan "A", "B" and "C" for each day in case the unexpected happens. Because it will.

Watch the weather carefully and frequently. Weather will be your biggest obstacle from a safety and a comfort perspective.

Learn how to use the "tide" function on your navigation devices. Tides can get you into trouble and tides can get you out of trouble. But they will always have some effect on your travels so always be aware of the tides where you are at any point along your route and also at your destination.

Lastly, the Waterway Guide is one very good resource for coastal cruising from Texas all the way to Maine, plus the Great Lakes. Lots of important information, like what channel the bridge operator can be hailed on, what the dockside depths are at marinas, what inlets are easily navigable and which ones to avoid, and much, much more really good info. I highly recommend it.

Once again, congrats. Good luck and fair winds!

Bob
Thank you, Bob! Overwhelming but it’s been a dream in the making for almost a decade ⛵️
Old 05-05-2023, 13:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by toi View Post
Good luck! I would just say take as much time as you can learning the boat and fixing the little and big stuff for the first few months. Hopefully you'll have a chance to enjoy the Carabelle area for a little while before heading south.
Thank you! And yeah I do hope to spend a week or two in the Panhandle because it’s such a nice area, Appalachacola especially ☀️
Old 05-05-2023, 18:03   #12
Marine Service Provider

That Cabo Rico 36 ketch is a classic. Back in it's heyday, I can remember drooling over that model. It's got fine genes, but being an older boat, will likely need some upgrades here and there and some loving. Take your time and do it right.
Nonetheless, once you've got used to it, etc, I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere. With a 5'-ish draft, it makes for a wonderful B'mas cruiser as well.
You're gonna love it
Old 06-05-2023, 05:22   #13

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_dzinh View Post
Ok, I’m surprised I didn’t think of this already but the constant management of the helm on the ICW is another strike against that route, because if I’m working remotely while we’re moving it’ll probably be a huge hassle to essentially “drive it down the highway” and work at the same time. I don’t have any kind of self steering at the moment so getting something installed before the trip will be a priority then.

A Boat/US membership before we shove off sounds like an excellent idea too, and I appreciate your insights about the Gulf Stream…I needed that pep talk lol - Thank you sir

You must maintain a proper watch at all times while underway, no matter whether on the ICW route or outside.

The inside route will require more attention to piloting... so you don't inadvertently park in dirt sometime prior to your intended leg destination.

If you choose the ICW (or mostly ICW) route, there are at least 20 decent stopping point options along the way, OK for some combination of sightseeing or resupply. Suggest you get (or subscribe to) the Waterway Guide, ActiveCaptain, and there's a mile-by-mile guide that we've found useful as well.

Living aboard at anchor in the Annapolis area is probably doable, maybe up through about November depending on your heating... but I'd think it's probably a huge PITA. Maybe better if you pick an area that's actively well-serviced by a pump-out boat, but periodic water resupply will still be work... as will be other provisioning.

-Chris
Old 06-05-2023, 06:17   #14
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

early June will turn into early July. you could encounter violent weather on the Gulf and coastal Atlantic. Don't be in a big hurry or have a strict schedule. if you can't find anything in Tampa Bay you might consider the Tarpon Springs area.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:33   #15

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

here is some real life data regarding going offshore versus the ICW.

this data is from this year. Just a month ago.

I had to motor my boat north in order to get the mast put on. So, I did exactly as you are doing. I used the Okeechobee waterway. By the way, anchor in Gulfport when you are in Tampa bay. It’s a wonderful community.

so I used the Okeechobee waterway. And I went from Stuart Florida where it ends, up to Oriental North Carolina. There was some time to stop for weather. Some time where I had to stop for work meetings. A few days of engine diagnostics. By the time I got from Stuart, FL to Oriental, NC it took an entire month!

at the same time, my sister ship left South Florida on a Monday and arrived where I was in the Carolinas on Wednesday. It took 2 days!!

Georgia is the most painful part of the ICW. It seems to go in actual circles. Very close to a circle anyway. If you can skip that part he will be happier.

I think your plan about hiring someone for the first leg of the trip to the Tampa bay area is a good one. You might be able to pick up some nice pointers. But after you do this trip you’re not going to be worrying much about your skills anymore. When you use the boat every day, day in and day out, everything starts to become very natural. It’s just a matter of practice. And you aren’t going to get it any other way than doing it. So don’t be too nervous. Just get out there and do it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, boat, florida, new boat, newbie