Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2023, 16:36   #31

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Newbie and new boat in Florida. Tips for Chesapeake transit+anchoring along the w

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_dzinh View Post
Ok, I’m surprised I didn’t think of this already but the constant management of the helm on the ICW is another strike against that route, because if I’m working remotely while we’re moving it’ll probably be a huge hassle to essentially “drive it down the highway” and work at the same time. I don’t have any kind of self steering at the moment so getting something installed before the trip will be a priority then.

A Boat/US membership before we shove off sounds like an excellent idea too, and I appreciate your insights about the Gulf Stream…I needed that pep talk lol - Thank you sir
While offshore is less hands on simply due to traffic and distances I would not plan on getting any remote work done underway not unless you have a crew of 3+. It is less micromanaging but someone needs to be watching the helm. Stepping away for a moment which technically against COLREGS is pretty commonly done but you aren't going to set the autopilot go below and knock out 3 hours of work.

You shouldn't do that ever but you really shouldn't be doing that on first long distance trip with a new boat.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 16:38   #32

Re: Newbie and new boat in Florida. Tips for Chesapeake transit+anchoring along the w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Not soliciting for a job as I have several probable engagements for June. But you should hire a captain or get a mentor.

"when the student is ready the teacher will appear" lol, yeah you're absolutely right.
carl_dzinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 16:42   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
While offshore is less hands on simply due to traffic and distances I would not plan on getting any remote work done underway not unless you have a crew of 3+. It is less micromanaging but someone needs to be watching the helm. Stepping away for a moment which technically against COLREGS is pretty commonly done but you aren't going to set the autopilot go below and knock out 3 hours of work.

You shouldn't do that ever but you really shouldn't be doing that on first long distance trip with a new boat.

Exactly right, everyone's thoughtful guidance on this thread has put the brakes on that idea for sure. I know some times people read books and whatnot while on watch but expecting to get any work done was pretty naive of me
Old 06-05-2023, 16:45   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
A lot of good advice in this thread, this one particularly. I’ve done that run 6 times now and there are places I prefer to be offshore and places where the ICW is just fine. There are some areas with meaningful tides and some where it’s more benign, some areas with a ton of bridges, others with fewer, etc.

If you do decide on visiting Gulfport, PM me if you like and we can grab a beer and talk about the run up in more detail.

Hiring a skipper for the first leg- I’d almost consider indispensable (if you want to be diligent and learn what right looks like from the outset).

Gulfstream is sensitive to WX- winds out of the north make things ugly quickly. But easy enough to avoid if you watch the weather a few days in advance.

Best of luck!

Ok I'll buy you dinner if I end up passing through! Very interested in checking out St. Pete's, in fact that's a big reason why I want to hover around Tampa Bay for a week or two.
Old 06-05-2023, 16:56   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
A reality check seems in order here.

You are first getting to an old boat in June. Any boat and especially an older one will require a certain amount of maintenance, overhaul and upgrades even for a short trip. That takes time. And especially for a novice sailor. And finding crew means you are dependent on their availability and schedule, not yours.

July isn’t a good time to begin a transit of Florida. Too many storms and days you won’t want to do much sailing.

Once you get into and through July, if you aren’t out of hurricane country, it’s a crap shoot “do you feel lucky” game.

I have lived in and sailed in and around Florida for a long time. I’d seriously rethink your timing.

Yeah I'm definitely cutting it close. The previous owner did spend almost 10 years on a refit and installed many new/newer equipment, things like new rigging, new beta engine (super nice..~60 hours), new electrical system, new plumbing, new ground tackle, new suite of sails, new cables and components for the steering system, a new portland pudgy dinghy with new outboard, lots of other things I can't recall at the moment.

He also took out the roller furling to convert to hank-on sails, and took out the electric windlass and put in a manual one. I think he was as paranoid as I am about things breaking down but she'll definitely need a shake down.
Old 06-05-2023, 18:10   #36

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Yeah I'm definitely cutting it close. The previous owner did spend almost 10 years on a refit and installed many new/newer equipment, things like new rigging, new beta engine (super nice..~60 hours), new electrical system, new plumbing, new ground tackle, new suite of sails, new cables and components for the steering system, a new portland pudgy dinghy with new outboard, lots of other things I can't recall at the moment.

He also took out the roller furling to convert to hank-on sails, and took out the electric windlass and put in a manual one. I think he was as paranoid as I am about things breaking down but she'll definitely need a shake down.
No shakedown in the history of mankind resulted in no work being required. Even brand new boats require something and usually lots of things.

Why anyone would remove rather than overhaul an electric windlass is alarming. As is replacing furlers with hanked on replacements. Makes everything harder, not more reliable.

Your timing isn’t cutting it close in my opinion; it’s terrible.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 18:31   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Well, whatever you decide to do, is off course, up to you. Florida has this going for it. There are 100's of 1,000's of boats here and every possible kind of shop, marine store, etc, are readily found here.

In St. Augustine, is a marine salvage store, where every possible thing you could think of is to be found, at a much reduced price. Ft. Lauderdale also has such a store.
J'ville has several marina's downtown, about 15 miles inland from the ocean. The St. Johns River is good place for you to learn your boat, many sailors, and good sailing. A good spot to make new friends
Brunswick another good spot. Palm Cove Marina, another one, etc, etc, etc.

Make haste slowly.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 18:39   #38

Boat: Bene 42CC

I live in Pensacola and I fully understand your trepidation about hurricanes but consider staying in the Carabelle area for this season and getting to know the boat there. But- there is at least one marina in Carabelle and one in Apalachicola that have a travel lift, which means they probably have a hurricane haulout program that you can join. Call them asap and find out about it. Your PO had success with an inland river but good hidey holes fill up real fast and the locals know this. Getting the boat out of the water is the next prudent thing to do. Taking ownership in June and trying to get out of there and around the keys before the named storm conga line starts is cutting it close.
Hhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 19:15   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
No shakedown in the history of mankind resulted in no work being required. Even brand new boats require something and usually lots of things.

Why anyone would remove rather than overhaul an electric windlass is alarming. As is replacing furlers with hanked on replacements. Makes everything harder, not more reliable.

Your timing isn’t cutting it close in my opinion; it’s terrible.
Noted! She needs an auto pilot and/or windvane and it’s very possible I won’t be able to get that done in time to leave safely, in which case I’ll opt to stay put in FL and hope for the best.
Old 06-05-2023, 19:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Well, whatever you decide to do, is off course, up to you. Florida has this going for it. There are 100's of 1,000's of boats here and every possible kind of shop, marine store, etc, are readily found here.

In St. Augustine, is a marine salvage store, where every possible thing you could think of is to be found, at a much reduced price. Ft. Lauderdale also has such a store.
J'ville has several marina's downtown, about 15 miles inland from the ocean. The St. Johns River is good place for you to learn your boat, many sailors, and good sailing. A good spot to make new friends
Brunswick another good spot. Palm Cove Marina, another one, etc, etc, etc.

Make haste slowly.
I’m planning on using St Brendan’s Isle in Green Cove Springs for their mail forwarding service so I’ll be sure to check out the situation in Jacksonville and that general area once I visit SBI. St Augustine also sounds like a cool spot.
Old 06-05-2023, 19:29   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhew View Post
I live in Pensacola and I fully understand your trepidation about hurricanes but consider staying in the Carabelle area for this season and getting to know the boat there. But- there is at least one marina in Carabelle and one in Apalachicola that have a travel lift, which means they probably have a hurricane haulout program that you can join. Call them asap and find out about it. Your PO had success with an inland river but good hidey holes fill up real fast and the locals know this. Getting the boat out of the water is the next prudent thing to do. Taking ownership in June and trying to get out of there and around the keys before the named storm conga line starts is cutting it close.
Yeah, staying in FL this season is back on the table again based on some of the feedback I’m getting here. I suspected the timing might be too tight, and if she survived Michael in the Panhandle I’m assuming she has a shot at surviving again but you never know. I see pros and cons in either direction so I’ll keep weighing it out. Appreciate your insights 👍
Old 06-05-2023, 19:35   #42

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I would never go back to hank on sails. I guess he was only out under nice conditions.

You should try pulling up all your anchor rode a few times too, and think about what it will be like under crap conditions as you do it.

Been there and not going back.
NorthCoastJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 20:12   #43

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

It sounds like you code for a living
You need quiet time to focus your thoughts to get the design right the first time
I don’t let my sr developer get their thoughts sidetracked by anything like keeping a boat upright and not sinking
Your MacBook Pro I assume can be dialed back to extend battery life and recharged when you have more free solar
Old 07-05-2023, 04:37   #44

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Yeah, staying in FL this season is back on the table again based on some of the feedback I’m getting here. I suspected the timing might be too tight, and if she survived Michael in the Panhandle I’m assuming she has a shot at surviving again but you never know. I see pros and cons in either direction so I’ll keep weighing it out. Appreciate your insights ��

See comments upthread about Annapolis. And be aware, harbors can get a hard freeze in winter, up here. Like for a couple weeks this last December.

Even better, compare average temps at various places along the coast, from St. Aug/JAX area up to Annapolis. Winter isn't horrible up here, until it is. (Snowmageddon circa 2010.)

I mention this specifically because it's common around here to winterize at least the engines. Which makes resupply and pump-outs at anchor even more difficult... unless you find a pump-out boat working in the winter, and maybe have supplies (like water?) delivered. Uh, huh. And there's that pesky heat thing; many reverse-cycle AC systems don't do well when outside water temps get down below about 45°F.

Compare also actual past hurricane activity at all those same places... as well as sheltering possibilities for each. We've had to deal with three (or two and a half?) hurricanes here since we came back up from Florida in 2001. One of those, Sandy (the "half?"), ended up arriving further east at the last minute, but we still had to prep for it as if it was arriving overhead. Point is, this area isn't immune, and other places further south may be about as good.

If you can actually get insurance in Florida.... and then if you can actually afford said insurance in Florida... The Jax area has a lot going for it. Or even further up the St. Johns River... And Oriental seems like an OK option, too. Or lots of other places in between... and maybe even north to maybe Portsmouth or so.

FWIW, living at anchor would be a bridge way too far for us. Full time job keeping the boat supplied. PITA. Would interfere with other full time jobs. But then, that's just us.

OTOH, you might also consider trying your first year aboard in a marina. That'd give you some perspective about pump-outs, water, resupply, etc. And you'll probably be fixing something on the boat every day, so easier access to parts will help.

-Chris
Old 07-05-2023, 04:49   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Green Cove Springs is way up river on the St. Johns, There are several marina's and haulout facilities there. There is a massive haulout storage yard there, but you will definitely need a car there as shopping etc is not close by.
The downtown marina's in J'ville have shops, marine stores, etc, within walking distance. You could easily get by with just a bike, and many do.
Brunswick also a popular spot, also manageable with a bike.
With hurricane season, approaching, slips fill up fast, so it would be well worth you while to investigate this now.
There are other marina's on the ICW at J'ville Beach, also within walking distance of shops.
As mentioned before, Palm Cove has a nice marina.
Daytona Beach also has a centrally located City marina, a very nice place, and there are some others.
St. Augustine also has several marina's behind the town, also manageable with a bike.
There is also a City marina and another marina near the inlet, but these are a tad close to the ocean to feel secure. Around the City marina are moorings you can rent, but you'll need a dink with motor. As mentioned before, St. A. has a popular marine salvage store not far from the waterfront.

Many options.

As an aside, my first boat had hanked on sails, and no windlass. I got along just fine for 10 years with that arrangement. It's simple and it works well. Try it for a while and see how it goes. You can always up grade to a furler, etc at a later time.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, boat, florida, new boat, newbie