Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2008, 15:30   #1

Send a message via AIM to j9gillik Send a message via Yahoo to j9gillik
My Master Plan ... Thoughts?

Hi, all!

I've lurked here for, oh, six months or so. Mostly just processing the incoming wisdom (or sea stories), with the occasional rare comment.

I've got an idea for how I want to proceed. Thought I'd kick it out here and see what y'all think.

My major goal is to complete (or be underway for) a circumnavigation before I hit the big four-oh. I'm 31, single, male, in great shape ... at least for now.

I've already made the shore-based prep for living aboard. I've sold just about everything (what's left could fit in my Grand Cherokee), and have even divested myself of my rent payment thanks to the kindness of family. I'm in early stages of acquiring a boat, and should be water-bound by the middle of the summer.

I'm thinking I'd start on a 26-to-32 foot sailboat, partly to get a better feel for sailing, and partly to economize. This summer, I'll do a few ASA-approved courses, with a goal of spending a few weeks on the Great Lakes in late summer/early autumn.

I don't really want to leave the West Michigan area for two years. There are reasons for this -- partly financial, and partly because there are some things (like earning my black belt) that I want to accomplish before I go.

After spending a season on Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, processing my learning a bit, I'd take my little boat down the Mighty Mississippi and make my way to the Carribbean (in 2010, most likely). After spending a season there, I'd sail up the Atlantic coast to the St. Lawrence and back to the Great Lakes.

Follow that with another 6-12 months in West Michigan. Assuming I'm still thoroughly geeked about sailing and committed to the circumnavigation, I'd then look to upgrade to a boat in the 38-44 foot range -- and when she's ready to sail, then I'm off again for the long haul.

Does this make sense to people? I'm particularly interested in your thoughts on a few questions:

1. Does anyone know of a good liveaboard marina (or similar option) in West Michigan, preferably between Ludington and South Haven?

2. Does the idea of starting with a smaller boat and cutting my teeth on the Great Lakes make sense?

3. Is it prudent to take a boat of roughly 26-30 feet down the Mississippi, to the Carribbean, and up the Atlantic to Canada?

Your feedback will help my on my journey!
j9gillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 15:59   #2

Boat: Pearson 26
Sounds like a good plan to me, but I have only limited offshore experience myself. Check out this we site for info on your planned route: America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association. There was an article in either Sailing magazine or Soundings within the last year about a family cruising "The Great Loop" on a power boat. You may have to have a tabernacle-mounted mast to get under some of the bridges, I don't know.

As someone who's already beyond the "big 4-0", I'm jealous! Good luck.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 16:24   #3
cruiser

There is nothing at all wrong with your plan, except having to buy a boat twice. I think if you find a boat that's about mid-sized, you might *just might* be able to use the same boat for the Great Loop as you use for cruising later on.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 09:43   #4

Send a message via AIM to j9gillik Send a message via Yahoo to j9gillik
ISHMAEL: Thanks for the link -- I didn't know about that group!

SSULIVAN: Interesting point. The prevailing wisdom, as best I understand it, is that extended offshore passagemaking for a singlehander (and if Aprhodite is kind, perhaps doublehanding!) is about 40' -- too much bigger, and it's hard for one person to manage, and too much smaller, and the price of the trade-offs rises painfully. What would you consider a "mid-sized" boat? 35'?
j9gillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 13:39   #5

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
Boat Size

Choosing the "right" size is a reeeeally personal choice. Some folks think smaller is better, some can't buy them big enough. You mention having gotten rid of most of your possessions - think long and hard about how you feel about that. If you find "traveling light" like some folks do to feel good to you, a smaller boat may suit you. If you find yourself chafing for more space and tend to acquire "stuff," expect to want a larger boat later. If you think you will want to step up to a larger boat in a few years as you expressed, be sure to buy a popular brand for the first boat, boats can be very difficult to sell. Also be expected to get attached to the boat that you put lots of labor into, fixing it up just the way you want, and taking on a voyage.

Good luck!
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 01:04   #6

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
Any size boat can be set up for single-handed sailing, the problems can start anchoring & around marinas. I think your basic plan is good apart from buying twice and selling once (with the associated costs). Mind you, if you couldn't find a suitable boat in the Great Lakes area I suppose you'd want to get the boat there which would be another cost. In terms of size, what's right for you? I would have said a minimum size for a circumnavigation would be a waterline length of 35ft.
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 05:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I live in Holland Michigan and there is a boat that would suit you quite well sitting on the hard at Crescent shores marina. The owner has not touched it in two years and I have heard that he is ill. I smell deal here. Crescent shores is also very laid back and there is one guy that lives aboard year round there. Our boat is stored there now. The marina is at the west end of 16th st.
Old 27-04-2008, 10:26   #8
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Holland is probably the closest and nicest harbor to GR. It's a great start point for weekend sailing as you can get to Saugatuck or South Haven and back heading South and Grand Haven and Muskegon Heading North. If your going to head further north, Pentwater is probably the nicest sailing harbor.
There are so many boats for sale right now that you should be able to steal something. You can find 30' Catalina's for $20k in good shape.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 13:06   #9

j9gillik,

Why purchase (and learn) 2 boats? Not a great idea.

Have you considered a Nor'sea 27? A batch of them have gone around the world. My wife Jill and I have lived aboard our Guenevere since 1996. We are now in Mexico and slowly moving south. We do NOT have the goal to circumnavigate, but know our boat could.

Check out the Yahoo Nor'Sea27 group for aa lot of info. I think there are at least one for sale on your side of the US.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 13:47   #10

I forgot to mention,

when we had just started cruising, in 2004, we were stopped in San Diego t the transient dock and a nice gentleman stopped by to look at our Nor'Sea 27. He had just had heart transplant and said he was looking for a Nor'Sea to do a circumnavigation in. The object was to raise awareness for transplants.

Since that time he bought his Nor'Sea 27, and completed his circumnavigation, LAST year. You can see some of the details on his web site at:
ORGAN DONATION FOR LIFE INC

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote