Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 11:48   #16

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Ya but a 1900.00 its carbon fiber construction remains a little racy and out matches my playing ability by about..well 1900...I'll stick to playing the strings connected to my sails.

I bought a 89.00 3/4 guitar from Hartland America a couple years ago..it stays in tune better then I can tune it...and is way easer to finger then my 30 year old Guild D2 which has beautiful sound but has always been a pain to play and I would not want subject to life on a boat anyway...But at 89 bucks I was pretty impressed with what that little guitar sounds like and how well it holds a tune even in our vastly fluctuating humidity of our drafty old house here in duck-ville.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:54   #17

Boat: Catalina C250, SeaWolf
Quote:
...I bought a 89.00 3/4 guitar from Hartland America a couple years ago..
I got a 3/4 size from Guitar Center. Since my boat's 25', I figured I needed a proportionately sized guitar. I've been happy with it.
ajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:25   #18

I had an acoustic guitar on board (carribean) for a few years, it didnt seem to affect it. Personally I wouldnt take a really fine instrument though. A case is too big, so I just left it in the environment inside, although I played outside also. I dont think noise is an issue. I actually played a couple events like a cruisers Xmas get together in Trinidad etc.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 17:39   #19

Boat: 34ft Ganley Shadow, bilge keels
my saxophone playing is that bad that i'm only game to do it far at sea and i havent been attacked by any marine life whilst doing it.

liveaboard in the tropics and i keep it stored in a properly lined timber box, its lasted a few years so far.... hmm maybe it hasnt and thats why i sound so bad...

cheers
bruce
bruce in oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:35   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
I only have a 27 footer so space is an issue. I own a cheap 100.00 guitar and keep it on board all summer. It is fine, the string rust quickly but strings are 7 bucks. No sailor should go cruising without their instrument. The best dock parties always happen when you dont have your guitar on board.

Great Sites, nice guitars put out of my price range. I will stick to the Korean made ! 100.00 jobs for now.

Cheers

Todd
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:23   #21

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce in oz View Post
my saxophone playing is that bad that i'm only game to do it far at sea and i havent been attacked by any marine life whilst doing it.

liveaboard in the tropics and i keep it stored in a properly lined timber box, its lasted a few years so far.... hmm maybe it hasnt and thats why i sound so bad...

cheers
bruce
The better half is taking her Uphonium to the boat when we return at the end of Jan. At least if this recession continues she might be able to earn a few pennies busking to subsidise the life on board?
I'm sure it will tarnish much quicker at sea but as long as the valves etc are cleaned and oiled regularly we hope it should survive.
Adaero
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 09:34   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We have two accordians and a concertina on board which would have potential to be harmed by humidity, but they've been with us for 37 years of living aboard without a problem. We do keep them in cases below when not in use and, surprisingly, no record of complaints when they're out!
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 09:40   #23

They sell coated strings... forget what they are called. they are about $10 and last a long time.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 02:08   #24

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
So you're a commercial fisherman, I am guessing you are 10'11", huge knuckles and weigh.....270, 290 plus...
Funny how certain guys masculinity never gets questioned
No matter what.
Not quite,
6'4" and only 230 at the time, with 20lb less fat on me
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 02:26   #25

Boat: Looking with intent
Once we get out on the water for good (working on that one,though getting th strength back up after illness is taking a while). We will be taking the concertinas (and possible part of the musical instrument business with us), Violins, Harmonicas, Mandolins and recorders as well. They all pack down tight in cases I have or will be making for them. We live in Edinburgh where the humidity is around 66% constant with peaks up to 85% during winter. Has not harmed the instruments at all though you don't do stupid things (leave instruments unstrung, laying near a heat source, setting the concertinas on the buttons in their case, and other unwise acts).

I won't do a shameless plug here as I only have a regular membership and it would not be proper to do so. Though I do now work on free reed instruments both in restoration, building, customization.

Keep playing, keep sailing and for getting the difficult passages down on the instrument that is what long passages are for isn't it??

Michael
Old 15-12-2008, 15:55   #26

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
I seems that cool humidity doesn't cause as much strife as the tropical kind with salt in the air. I guess that is reasonable as a wind instrument has 100 % humidity inside whilst playing it and in Irish pubs the humidity is pretty high.
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 16:52   #27

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
I've not found the boat environment to be particularly hard on instuments unless they are under a leaky hatch. I did have a fiddle come apart on me once but have always suspected that was more a case of suicide in response to my playing than neglect.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 17:00   #28

Boat: Tracker 7.7 Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to mawt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill E View Post
Wondering if any of you liveaboards keep and play (acoustic) instruments?
The two issues I am wondering about are:
Does the humidity damage the instrument?
and, do you get complaints from neighbors? I would think that my playing would be no louder than most stereos or TVs, probably much softer.
I play guitar and clawhammer banjo and cannot imagine doing without them.
Hi BillE,
I have kept a flute aboard for 14 years. Guess what? Corroded silver.
My hands are alwats salty and the metal parts hate it.
I also play banjo and saxaphone but leave them at home.
My violin does well enough but I keep it in its case and never play it except in the lounge area where it is shady and reasonably clean.
What is your type of boat? Do you sail in fresh or salt water?
Timothy
mawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 18:16   #29

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Gotta have our own sounds

I tote a Baby Taylor [guitar]. It has coated strings and it sounds pretty good. I have a bag of kazoos, rattles, marachas etc and an empty Marie Sharp's bottle to toot on. Given the right mood, its a blast!

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 20:05   #30
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I have a copy of this guitar. Being made of metal it is tough and impervious to the humidity. Starts to hum at 7 knots!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rs_in_Arms.jpg
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote